Amy Berret is a partner in the Baton Rouge office of Kean Miller. She joined the firm in 1996 and practices in the litigation group. Amy represents clients in legacy oilfield litigation, medical malpractice defense, commercial and business litigation, toxic tort and environmental litigation, gaming industry litigation, personal injury defense, general litigation and worker's compensation defense.
Amy has noteworthy experience in the defense of medical malpractice claims against physicians including preparation and presentation of submissions to medical review panels, bench and jury trials and appeals. She has particular experience representing clients in cases involving emergency medicine, vascular surgery, and emergency medical transport providers. With regard to worker's compensation cases, Amy has extensive experience in the defense of claims associated with chemical releases.
- Representation of municipalities and law enforcement agencies in civil rights and general liability matters
- Defense of insurers and insured in personal injury claims resulting from motor vehicle accidents
- Representation of a global energy client adverse to a large landowner in Calcasieu parish. The plaintiff asserted claims for $75 million in compensatory damages and $225 million in punitive damages for alleged negligence, breach of contract, unreasonable and excessive use of property, strict liability, and willful and wanton conduct in connection with historic oil and gas operations. After two and a half weeks of trial in May 2015, and several adverse evidentiary rulings against the client, the jury returned a verdict in favor of our client, which included the adoption of the client's remediation plan.
- Successful representation of global energy companies in legacy oil field lawsuits obtaining defense verdicts in multi-million dollar claims
- Has represented physicians, healthcare providers, and emergency medical transport providers in healthcare law and malpractice claims for over 16 years
- Representation of a cleaning service in a workers' compensation claim filed by an independent contractor arising from a fall off a ladder in Slidell, Louisiana
- Representation of global fertilizer company in a workers' compensation claim filed by an employee alleging that his kidneys were damaged as a result of exposure to Silicon Tetrafluoride
- Representation of global fertilizer company in a workers' compensation claim filed by a statutory employee alleging that he sustained injury after being hit by a car on the job site
- Representation of global fertilizer company in a workers' compensation claim filed by an employee alleging cervical and lumbar injuries
- Representation of Fortune 500 engineering and construction company in 48 workers' compensation claims which resulted from a chemical release at a petrochemical facility in Geismar, Louisiana
Amy earned her B.A. from Louisiana State University in 1992. She earned her J.D. in 1996 from the LSU Law Center where she was a Candidate for the Louisiana Law Review.
- Admitted, Louisiana, 1996; United States District Courts for the Eastern, Middle and Western Districts of Louisiana; United States Court of Appeals, Fifth District; United States Supreme Court, 2009
- Louisiana State and American Bar Associations; Baton Rouge Bar Association Workers' Compensation Committee; Louisiana Hospital Association; United Who's Who; National Association of Women Lawyers
Articles, Publications and Presentations
- Louisiana Governor Revises Executive Order Suspending Licensure Requirements for Medicare Professionals and Personnel, Louisianalawblog.com, September, 2005.
- UNCLOS III: Pollution Control in the Exclusive Economic Zone, 55 Louisiana Law Review 1165.
- Speaker, Kean Miller Health Law Year in Review seminar, Juban's Restaurant, November 17, 2004.
- Speaker, Louisiana Society of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology 32rd Annual State Convention.
- Member, Holiday Star Committee, Young Lawyers Section, Baton Rouge Bar Association
- Member, Volunteer Committee, Baton Rouge Bar Association
- Volunteer, Pro Bono Project, Baton Rouge Bar Association
- Member, Louisiana Hospital Association
- Member, United Who's Who
- Past Volunteer, Community Partnership Division, Capital Area United Way
- Past Member, Annual Giving Committee, Mary Bird Perkins Cancer
- Past Member, Baton Rouge Symphony Young Patrons Organization
- Auction Item Solicitation Committee Chair, Mary Bird Perkins Cancer Center, 2006
- Auction Co-Chair Chair, Mary Bird Perkins Cancer Center, 2007
- Past Chair, Holiday Star Committee, Young Lawyers Section, Baton Rouge Bar Association
- Past Volunteer, Junior Achievement Teaching Program, Glen Oaks Middle School
- Past Member, Youth Education Committee, Baton Rouge Bar Association
- Past Member, Taste of Louisiana Committee, Mary Bird Perkins Cancer Center
- Parishioner, St. George Catholic Church
- Hall v. Fidelity Bank and Trust Co., 2008 WL 607598 (LA. App. 1st Cir. 02/20/08)
- Hardy v. A. Wilbert’s Sons, L.L.C., 970 So.2d 1063 (LA. App. 1st Cir. 09/19/07)
- Thomas v. A. Wilbert & Sons, L.L.C. et al., 888 So.2d 243 (LA. App. 1st Cir. 9/17/04)
- Martco Limited Partnership v. Bruks-Klockner, Inc., 2010 WL 3037264 (W.D. La. 2010)
- Winnsoboro State Bank & Trust Company v. Pepper, 743 So.2d 212 (La. App. 2nd Cir. 1999)
- Patterson V. Allain, et al., 116 So.3d 732 (La. App. 1st Cir. 4/26/2013)
- Martco Limited Partnership v. Wellons, Inc., 2008 WL 3944221 (W.D. La. 2008)
- Five N. Company, L.L.C. et.al., v. Stewart, et.al., 850 So.2d 5l, 2002-0181 (La.App. 1st Cir. 7/2/03).
- Concha Chemical Pipeline v. E.B. Schwing, III, 835 So.2d. 543, 2001-2093 (La.App. 1st Cir. 9/27/02).
- Allain, et.al. v. Martco Partnership, 828 So.2d. 587, 2001-0614 (La.App. 1st Cir. 4/17/02).
- David v. Town of St. Gabriel, et.al., 809 So.2d. 537, 2001-0031 (La.App. 1st Cir. 2/15/02).
- Griffin v. Lapo Espanol, L.L.C., 808 So.2d. 833, 2000-2544 (La.App. 1st Cir. 2/15/02).
- Hall v. Zen.Noh Grain Corporation, 778 So.2d. 91, 00-1455 (La.App. 5th Cir. 12/27/00).
- Bless Home Health Agency v. Louisiana Dept. of Health & Hospitals, 770 So.2d. 780, 1999-0936 (La.App. 1st Cir. 5/22/00).
- State Machinery & Equipment Sales, Inc. v. Iberville Parish Council, 952 So.2d 77, 2005-2240 (La.App. 1st Cir. 2006).
- Allain v. Martco Partnership, 851 So.2d 974, 2002-1796 (La. 5/23/03).