She has particular experience in defending premises owners in a variety of chemical exposure cases, asbestos-related cases and other types of personal injury claims. She has also defended numerous product liability claims against the chemical industry.
Barrye has significant experience in handling settlement and litigation issues related to the Medicare Secondary Payer Act ("MSP"). She also assists clients with the MSP reporting requirements, including reviewing and drafting procedures for compliance.
Barrye is a court annexed mediator for the United States District Court for the Middle District of Louisiana and mediates a wide variety of civil matters. She attended Harvard Law School’s Professional Instruction for Lawyers - Mediation Workshop. She is AV-rated by the Martindale-Hubbell legal directory.
- Representation of a major energy company in the development of its Medicare reporting and compliance program
- Representation of global energy, refining and chemical companies in premises and product liability asbestos-related claims and in negotiations with some of Louisiana's most prominent plaintiffs law firms
- Defended civil claims against petrochemical company in personal injury and property damage cases arising out of the transportation and disposal of radioactive materials
- Defended petrochemical company in claims arising out of alleged chemical exposure. The case was tried to verdict and the client was exonerated by a jury
- Representation of several multinational manufacturing companies in personal injury claims which were successfully removed to federal court and dismissed with prejudice via summary judgment under the Louisiana statutory employer doctrine
- Representation of numerous industrial clients in benzene-related personal injury claims
- Representation of industrial clients in hearing loss cases
- Successfully mediated and settled hundreds of claims each year as the lead negotiation lawyer for the toxic tort defense group
- Successfully mediated a wide variety of civil claims
- Served as the attorney-chair in numerous medical malpractice cases
Barrye earned her B.S. from Louisiana State University in 1989. She earned her J.D. from the LSU Law Center in 1992 where she was Chairman of the LSU Moot Court Board from 1991 to 1992. She served as a Faculty Member of the LSU Trial Advocacy Program in 1999.
- Admitted, Louisiana, 1992
- Baton Rouge, Louisiana State, American and Federal Bar Associations; Louisiana Association of Defense Counsel; Defense Research Institute; Louisiana Register of Qualified Civil Mediators
Articles, Publications and Presentations
- The Medicare Secondary Payer Act and Mandatory Reporting Requirements: Driving Through The Fog, DRI Toxic Torts and Environmental Law Seminar, 2012.
- Adjunct Professor, National Institute for Trial Advocacy Annual Program, Louisiana State University Law Center, 1999
- Mediation from the Client's Perspective
- Member, Baton Rouge Bar Association Pro Bono Project (VIP)
- Board of Directors, Riverbend Homeowners Association
- Past Volunteer, Volunteers in Public Schools, Glen Oaks Middle School
- Judge, National Moot Court Competition
- Judge, LSU Law Center Appellate Advocacy Program
- Judge, LSU Law Center Moot Court Final Freshman Oral Arguments, 2003-2004
- Co-chair, Chair Mid City Fix-Up, Young Lawyers Division, Baton Rouge Bar Association, 1996-1997
- Board of Governors, Theatre Baton Rouge
- Chair, Theatre Baton Rouge Board Development, 2013-present
- Chair, Theatre Baton Rouge Beaux Arts Ball, 2011-2012