Benn Vincent is a partner at Kean Miller and practices in the firm's litigation group. With more than 8 years of litigation experience, he represents local, national and international energy and industrial clients in cases involving a wide variety of substantive areas such as oil and gas litigation, NORM, environmental litigation, toxic tort, breach of contract, construction and commercial litigation, and redhibition, warranty and products liability suits.
- Representation of a global energy client adverse to a large landowner in Calcasieu parish. The plaintiff asserted claims for $75 million in compensatory damages and $225 million in punitive damages for alleged negligence, breach of contract, unreasonable and excessive use of property, strict liability, and willful and wanton conduct in connection with historic oil and gas operations. After two and a half weeks of trial in May 2015, and several adverse evidentiary rulings against the client, the jury returned a verdict in favor of our client, which included the adoption of the client's remediation plan.
- Representation of energy companies in legacy oil field lawsuits, which have resulted in a favorable jury verdict, multiple settlements and outright dismissals
- Representation of timber companies in boundary actions and timber overcut lawsuits
- Representation of landowners in claims for acquisitive prescription
- Representation of wood products manufacturing companies in the prosecution and defense of claims for breach of contract
- Representation of major and independent oil and gas exploration and production companies in oilfield site alleged contamination claims and NORM lawsuit, including alleged soil contamination, shallow groundwater contamination, and drinking water aquifer alleged impacts
- Representation of physicians, healthcare providers and emergency medical transport providers against allegations of malpractice in medical review panel proceedings and courtroom litigation
- Representation of companies and general liability carriers in cases involving personal injury tort claims
- Representation of owners, contractors and subcontractors in construction and lien litigation
- Representation of municipalities and law enforcement agencies in civil rights and general liability matters
- Negotiation of remediation projects with the Louisiana Department of Natural Resources and the Louisiana Department of Environmental Quality
- Prosecution and defense of all manner of lawsuits, claims and disputes, including commercial disputes, construction disputes, product liability cases, environmental claims, personal injury claims, redhibition claims, premises liability claims, boundary disputes, and title disputes
- Applying his litigation skills outside of the courtroom, Benn was part of a team that negotiated and drafted the contract for the creation of a new oil and gas exploration and production company for one of Louisiana's largest landowners
Benn earned his B.A., cum laude, from Tulane University in 2000. He earned his J.D. and B.C.L. in 2003 from the LSU Law Center where he was Chairman of the Moot Court Board, and a student member of the Wex Malone Inns of Court, Phi Delta Phi, and Who's Who - American Law Students.
- Admitted, Louisiana; United States District Courts for the Eastern, Middle and Western Districts of Louisiana; United States Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit; Louisiana Supreme Court; All State District and Appellate Court of Louisiana
- Baton Rouge, Louisiana State, American and Federal Bar Associations; LSU Law Center Chancellor's Council (2009); Tulane Alumni Association; Tulane Louisiana Council; Boy Scouts of America; National Eagle Scout Association; BSA; Baton Rouge Green; Opera Louisiane; First Presbyterian Church; Global Wildlife Foundation; Baton Rouge City Club; YMCA
Articles, Publications and Presentations
- Post Trial Motions: Articulating the Standards for JNOV vs. New Trial, LSU Paul M. Hebert Law Center, Center for Continuing Professional Development, Fundamentals of Civil Litigation, April 10, 2008.
- Living Wills and Advanced Directives, Plaquemine Study Club, 2006.
- Member, Board of Directors and former Governance Chair, Opera Louisiane
- Deacon and former Sunday School teacher, First Presbyterian Church
- Former Youth Soccer Coach, YMCA
- Former Cabinet Member, Community Fund for the Arts
- Pro Bono Project Volunteer, Baton Rouge Bar Association
- Board of Directors and former Secretary, Highland Ridge Homeowners Association
- Citizens Advisory Committee for State Representative Dist. 70
- Service Member of the Order of the Arrow; Vigil Honor and Founder's Award Recipient
- Gonzales v. Kissner, 24 So. 3d 214 (La. App. 1st Cir. 09/11/06).
- Hall v. Fidelity Bank and Trust Co., 2008 WL 607598 (La. App. 1st Cir. 02/20/08).
- Hardy v. A. Wilbert's Sons, L.L.C., 970 So.2d 1063 (La. App. 1st Cir. 09/19/07).
- State Machinery & Equipment Sales, Inc. v. Iberville Parish Council, 952 So. 2D 77 (La. App. 1st Cir. 12/28/06).
- Gaspard One, L.L.C. v. B P America Production Co., 2008 WL 465813 (W.D. La. 2008).