Upon graduating from law school, Brad served as a law clerk to the Hon. Michael E. Ponder of the 19th Judicial District Court. He has also served as Assistant United States Attorney for the Middle District of Louisiana and Special Assistant United States Attorney for the Eastern and Western Districts of Louisiana.
Brad serves as General Counsel to the Louisiana Municipal Association.
- Representation of a global energy refining company in litigation and regulatory proceedings involving an attempt by the Louisiana Department of Health and Hospitals to revoke an exemption from continuous chlorination of a chemical plant water system. If upheld, the revocation would have required a multimillion dollar reconfiguration of the water system. The Administrative Law Judge ruled, based on the strength of the Kean Miller team’s hearing presentation and argument in post-hearing briefs, that the Department improperly revoked the exemption.
- Representation of the manufacturer of large earth moving machines in defense of claims of defective design and misrepresentation: The claims was resolved in favor of our client with the plaintiff granting a voluntary dismissal of its claims after discovery
- Representation of a global energy and petrochemical company in several suits related to explosions at their Louisiana facilities and in cases involving claims for personal injury, property damage, fear of cancer, and exposure to numerous chemicals and substances, including benzene
- Representation of a major manufacturer with regard to a “Superfund nominated site” near Shreveport, Louisiana, where over 2,000 neighbors alleged property damage and personal injury exposure from ground water migration and air contamination
- Successful defense of a major petrochemical manufacturer in a personal injury suit alleging exposure to butadiene related cancer claims
- Representation of a multi-client group in connection with personal injury claims alleging exposure to a hazardous waste site
- Successful defense of a police officer in a wrongful death claim alleging failure to arrest
- Successful defense of criminal environmental charges
- Representation in prosecution of successful Daubert motion in a chlorine exposure case resulting in a favorable resolution of the matter
- Successfully argued one of first Class Action Fairness Act cases in the United States Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals
- Designated as Louisiana Emergency Response Counsel for petrochemical industry clients
- Successfully defended, with health law counsel, qui tam cases on behalf of physicians and physician groups
Brad earned his B.A. from Louisiana State University in 1978. He earned his J.D. in 1982 from the LSU Law Center where he was the recipient of the American Jurisprudence Award in Constitutional Law.
- Admitted, Louisiana, 1982, All federal courts in Louisiana; United States Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit; United States Supreme Court
- Baton Rouge, Louisiana State, American and Fifth Circuit Bar Associations; Defense Research Institute; National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
Articles, Publications and Presentations
- Recent Developments in Municipal Law, Louisiana City Attorneys Association, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1998, 2000.
- Civil Rights and Police Misconduct, Louisiana City Attorneys Association, 1990.
- Louisiana State Police and Drug Enforcement Administration training schools, 1985-1987.
- Professionalism, Louisiana City Attorneys Association, 1998, 1999.
- Co-author: The Louisiana Evidence Code at a Glance, Baton Rouge Bar Association Newsletter, 1988.
- Recent Developments in Civil Procedure, Louisiana City Attorneys Association, 2007.
- Understanding Federal Government Investigations of Medical Practices, LAMMICO, 2009.
- Co-author: A Practical Digest of Louisiana Class Action Decisions, 2011.
- Louisiana Supreme Court Rejects Application of Punitive Damages in Toxic Tort Case, Louisiana Law Blog, March 2012.
- Board of Directors, South Louisiana Region of the American Red Cross
- Board of Directors, BREC Foundation
- Chairman, East Baton Rouge Parish Commission on Ethics
- President, Secretary/Treasurer, LSU Track and Field Officials Association
- Starter, NCAA Indoor and Outdoor Track & Field Championships
- Member, Volunteer! Baton Rouge
- Judge, Moot Court Competition, LSU Law Center
- Board Member, Goodwood Property Owners Association
- President, Our Lady of Mercy Athletic Association