Deborah Juneau is a partner in the Baton Rouge office of Kean Miller. She joined the firm in 1999 and practices in the healthcare group. Deborah represents a variety of health care providers, including physicians, physician groups, social workers and mental health rehabilitation programs, nursing homes, nurses, nurse practitioners, physician's assistants, and other health care providers, as well as businesses that provide services to health care providers, in health law administrative, regulatory and litigation matters, Stark and anti-kickback matters, qui tam cases, fraud and abuse, defense of Medicare and Medicaid audits, defense of debt recovery actions by U.S. Department of Treasury, reimbursement, exclusion and reinstatement, and medical malpractice defense. She also represents health care providers before the Louisiana State Board of Medical Examiners, Louisiana Board of Nursing, Louisiana State Board of Social Work Examiners, and other licensing boards, as well as before credentialing agencies such as managed care organizations and hospitals. Deborah also represents clients in commercial and business litigation and insurance defense.
- Assist physicians in matters before the United States Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA)
- Representation of numerous health care providers in defense of qui tam and False Claims Act cases
- Representation of numerous health care providers in defense of Medicare and Medicaid post-payment audits and in administrative proceedings for recoupment of Medicare and Medicaid payments with significant reductions in recoupment amounts
- Representation of physicians and other healthcare providers in transactional matters that involve regulatory compliance questions under the Stark law and state and federal Anti-Kickback statutes
- Representation of physicians, social workers, nurses, personal care service providers, and other health care providers in professional licensing board and credentialing matters and DHH licensing matters
- Representation of numerous physicians, physician groups, nurses, nurse practitioners, physician's assistants, radiology techs, nursing homes, skilled nursing facilities, and other health care providers in defense of medical malpractice claims
- Representation of numerous commercial and industrial clients in personal injury litigation
- Successfully defended dismissal of case against a major chemical company on grounds of abandonment by winning unanimous Louisiana Supreme Court decision
Deborah earned her B.S. from Louisiana State University in 1976. She earned her J.D. from the LSU Law Center in 1999 where she was a member of the Order of the Coif and the Louisiana Law Review. Deborah is a member of the LSU Law Center Hall of Fame.
- Admitted, Louisiana, 1999
- Baton Rouge, Louisiana State and American Bar Associations; American Health Lawyers Association; Louisiana Hospital Associations, Society of Hospital Attorneys
Articles, Publications and Presentations
- CMS Issues Final Rule for Reporting and Returning Overpayments, Louisiana Law Blog, February 16, 2016.
- OIG Issues New Fraud Alert on Physician Compensation Arrangements Such As Medical Director Agreements, Louisiana Law Blog, June 12, 2015.
- OIG Issues Advisory Opinion on Preferred Hospital Network Proposal, Louisiana Law Blog, March 5, 2015.
- DHH Implements Recovery Audit Contractor Program, Louisiana Law Blog, November 19, 2014
- DHH Proposes Rule on Prohibition of Provider Steering of Medicaid Recipients, Louisiana Law Blog, October 8, 2014.
- DHH Implements New Adverse Actions Web Search for Excluded Individuals and Entities, Louisiana Law Blog, October 4, 2014.
- CMS Will Expand the Medicare Demonstration Requiring Prior Authorization for Power Mobility Devices to Twelve Additional States, Including Louisiana, Louisiana Law Blog, July 2014
- CMS Proposes Prior Authorization Requirements for Certain DMEPOS Items, Louisiana Law Blog, May 29, 2014
- Louisiana State Board of Medical Examiners Releases Proposed Rules Governing the Practice of Polysomnography, Louisiana Law Blog, October 10, 2013
- Wartelle v. Women's and Children's Hospital: A Fate Worse than Wrongful Death: Legal Nonexistence for the Stillborn Child, Louisiana Law Review.
- Abandonment: An Evolving Concept of Liberative Prescription, Louisiana Law Review.
- New Compliance and Accountability Requirements for Nursing Homes, louisianalawblog.com, October 2010.
- Nursing Home Bill of Rights Changes, Louisiana Nursing Home Association Newsletter.
- Failure to Report and Return Identified Overpayment can be a False Claim, louisianalawblog.com, September 2010.
- Recovery Audit Contractor Program will be Expanded to Medicaid, louisianalawblog.com, September 2010.
- Unsettled Question of Medical Malpractice Act Coverage for Nurse Practitioners in Louisiana, louisianalawblog.com, May 2011.
- Court Certifies Class Action and finds Reduction in Medicaid LT-PCS Program Violates Americans with Disabilities Act, louisianalawblog.com, July 2011.
- 2011 Medicare RAC Audit Results, louisianalawblog.com, December 2011.
- DHH Settles Class Action Suit Pertaining to Reduction of Service Hours for Medicaid LT-PCS Program, louisianalawblog.com, January 2012.
- CMS Imposes New Requirements on Health Care Providers for Face-to-Face Encounters for DME Orders, louisianalawblog.com, November 2012.
- OIG Report on Personal Care Services: Trends, Vulnerabilities, and Recommendations for Improvement, louisianalawblog.com, November 2012.
- Contributing Author, Guide to Healthcare Reform, Baton Rouge Business Report, October 2010.
- Past Member, Advisory Board, Teach for America South Louisiana
- Board of Directors, Keep Louisiana Beautiful
- Past President, Board of Directors, Capital Area Family Violence Intervention Center
- Site Committee, Capital Area United Way