Erin Kilgore is a partner in the Baton Rouge office of Kean Miller. She joined the firm in 2008 and practices in the labor and employment law group. Erin represents and advises employers on a variety of labor and employment issues, including Facebook and social media issues; employee handbooks and non-competition agreements; discrimination, harassment, and retaliation litigation (including under the Louisiana Environmental Whistleblower Statute, La. R.S. 30: 2027 and Louisiana’s anti-reprisal statute, La. R.S. 23:967); wrongful termination claims; and issues involving wage payment, employee leave, and drug testing (including drug testing pursuant to the federal Department of Transportation (DOT), Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), and United States Coast Guard rules and regulations). Erin has represented employers in state and federal courts and before the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB), the United States Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), and the Louisiana Commission on Human Rights (LCHR). Erin also represents and advises management on labor relations issues, including unfair labor practice charges and collective bargaining agreements with unions. Erin has particular experience in defending collective action/class action claims under the federal Fair Labor Standard Act. She also represents and advises municipalities on a variety of employment issues, related to the Police Officers Bill of Rights and Firefighters Bill of Rights. In addition to her labor and employment experience, Erin also represents a national retail chain in premises liability litigation.
Prior to joining the firm, Erin served as a law clerk to the Hon. Jay C. Zainey of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana.
Erin is listed among the top labor and employment lawyers in the State of Louisiana by Chambers USA 2016.
Erin earned her B.A., summa cum laude, from Washington and Lee University in 2004. In the summer of 2005, Erin studied abroad at the University of Lyon III - Jean Moulin in Lyon, France. Erin earned her J.D. and her B.S. in Civil Law in 2007 from the LSU Law Center where she was a member of the Order of the Coif and the Louisiana Law Review.
- Admitted, Louisiana, 2007; United States District Court for the Eastern, Middle and Western Districts of Louisiana, 2008; United States Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit, 2008
- Baton Rouge, Louisiana State, Federal and American Bar Associations
- Breaking: New FLSA Salary Rule Enjoined by Court, Louisiana Law Blog, November 22, 2016
- Decision of Fair Labor Standards Act Expected Next Week?, Louisiana Law Blog, November 17, 2016
- The Flood of 2016: Employment Issues for Businesses, Louisiana Law Blog, August 17, 2016
- 2016: Resolve to Consider Joint Employment Issues… the Department of Labor Has Already Done So!, Louisiana Law Blog, January 20, 2016.
- Attorneys Recommend More Specific Social Media Policies for Employers, New Orleans CityBusiness, December 8, 2015.
- Employee Handbooks in Louisiana: Useful Tool or Ticking Time Bomb, Louisiana Assisted Living Association, Baton Rouge, Louisiana, November 9, 2015
- Employee Handbooks in Louisiana: Useful Tool or Ticking Time Bomb, Kean Miller Labor and Employment Seminar, Baton Rouge, Louisiana, October 9, 2015
- Joint Employees, Statutory Employers, Alter Egos, Co-Employers: A Guide for Tackling the Confusion, Annual Fall Conference - The Greater Baton Rouge Society for Human Resource Management, October 21, 2015
- Proposed WAGE Act: Employers Beware, Louisiana Law Blog, September 22, 2015
- Labor Day 2015: Employers Must Reflect on the NLRB's Recent Activity, Too, Louisiana Law Blog, September 9, 2015
- Colorado Supreme Court Upholds Termination of Employee for Off-Duty Medical Marijuana Use, Louisiana Law Blog, June 16, 2015.
- Mardi Gras Season; Travel Season: Why Louisiana Employers Must Also Consider the Legalization of Marijuana, Louisiana Law Blog, February 17, 2015.
- Transgender Rights Take Center Stage in Lawsuit Filed Against Saks Fifth Avenue, Louisiana Law Blog, January 29, 2015
- Not Even Mardi Gras is Immune from Labor Issues, Louisiana Law Blog, January 27, 2015.
- EEOC Resolves to Protect LGBT Workers from Employment Discrimination in 2015, Louisiana Law Blog, December 6, 2014
- Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler: Everything You need To Know About Alcohol Law, Association of Corporate Counsel 2014 Annual Meeting, October 2014
- Contributor, Who Owns the Message? – When is it acceptable to monitor an employee’s communications?, Greater Baton Rouge Business Report, October 14, 2014
- Contributor, Should my company have a policy on employee use of social media? What should it say?, Greater Baton Rouge Business Report, September 2014
- An Overview of Employee Handbooks, Louisiana Medical Group Management Association Annual Meeting, 2014
- Louisiana Employers Barred From Demanding Access to Employee and Applicant Personal Social Media Accounts, Louisiana Law Blog, May 2014
- Facebook Post Cost Ex-Employee $80K Settlement, Louisiana Law Blog, March 2014
- 2014: Resolve to Review and Understand Your Paid Time Off Policies, Louisiana Law Blog, January 2014
- Employers must tread carefully with social media checks, New Orleans CityBusiness, October 2013
- Understanding the Risks and Benefits of Social Media, Association of Corporate Counsel - LA Chapter CLE, August 2013
- Title VII Protects Pumping, Louisiana Law Blog, July 2013
- Vine: An Employer's Latest Foe in the Battle Over Employee Social Media, Louisiana Law Blog, May 2013
- NLRB Recess Appointments Held Unconstitutional, Louisiana Law Blog, January 2013.
- 2013 and Beyond! Labor and Employment of the Future, HR Solutions, January 2013.
- Post, Like, Tweet, and Status Updates: A Game Plan for Anticipating, Defending, and Tackling Social Media, Kean Miller Labor and Employment Seminar, November 2012.
- Hot Topics in Employment Law, River Region Chamber of Commerce Employment Law Seminar, November 2012.
- From the Police Officer's Bill of Rights, to Social Media...Hot Topics in Employment Law for Municipal Attorneys, Louisiana City Attorneys Association, 2012 Fall Conference.
- NLRB Finds for Employer in First Facebook Firing Case, Louisiana Law Blog, October 2012.
- H.R. Hot Topics, co-presenter with HR Solutions, West Baton Rouge Chamber Expo, September 2012.
- A Problem in Need of Repair: Louisiana's Subsequent Remedial Measures Rule, Louisiana Law Review, Volume 67.
- NLRB Acting General Counsel Releases Report on Social Media Policies, Louisiana Law Blog, May 31, 2012.
- New NLRB Posting Requirement Back on Hold, Louisiana Law Blog, April 30, 2012.
- Happy New Year...But, Your High School Diploma Requirement May Violate the Americans With Disabilities Act, Says the EEOC, Louisiana Law Blog, January 5, 2012.
- Americans with Disabilities Act Update, Webinar, Louisiana Municipal Association, November 17, 2011.
- Employer Policies - Trends in Modern Era, Kean Miller Labor and Employment Seminar, November 4, 2011.
- Policy and Procedures Manuals for Municipal Government Employees, Webinar, Louisiana Municipal Association, July 21, 2011.
- Settlement Reached in the NLRB Facebook Case, Louisiana Law Blog, February 15, 2011.
- Recent Developments in Labor and Employment Law, Various Chemical Companies, 2010.
- Facebook and the NLRB: NLRB to Weigh In Regarding Employee's Negative Comments About Her Supervisor, Louisiana Law Blog, November 8, 2010.
- Sexual Harassment: Legal Update and Incident Resolution, Webinar, Louisiana Municipal Association, May 20, 2010.
- Pre-Employment Interviews: Unlawful Questions to Avoid during the Interview Process, Kean Miller Labor and Employment Seminar, April 14, 2010.
- Recent Development in Labor and Employment Law, Various Chemical Companies, 2009.
- An Imperfect Storm: A Review of the ADA Amendments Act and Some Practical Guidance for Employers, Kean Miller Labor and Employment Seminar, April 15, 2009.
- Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act Reviews Pay Discrimination Claims, Louisiana Law Blog, February 13, 2009.
- Board of Directors (2012-present), Secretary (2013-2014), Vice-President (2015), President (2016-present) Habitat for Humanity of Greater Baton Rouge
- Member, Junior League of Baton Rouge (2009-2014)
- Social Chairman (2010-2013), Vice President, (2013-2015), President (2015-present) Washington and Lee Baton Rouge Area Alumni Chapter
- Belly Up With the Bar Committee, Baton Rouge Bar Association (2009)
- Co-Chair, Kean Miller Holiday Star Project (2009-2010)