Jim Doré is a partner in the Baton Rouge office of Kean Miller and practices in the firm’s litigation group. He works with clients in the areas of class actions, legacy oil field litigation, toxic tort, and environmental litigation, commercial litigation, gaming industry litigation, and medical malpractice defense. Jim has extensive litigation experience as lead counsel, and has brought over 95 cases to verdict in bench and jury trials.
Jim is an AV-rated lawyer and a Fellow in the American College of Trial Lawyers (ACTL). He is also listed in The Best Lawyers in America (Woodward/White) 2007-2017 and in Louisiana Super Lawyers, 2008-2011. Jim was named Lawyer of the Year 2017 in Environmental Litigation by The Best Lawyers in America.
- Representation of a global energy client adverse to a large landowner in Calcasieu parish. The plaintiff asserted claims for $75 million in compensatory damages and $225 million in punitive damages for alleged negligence, breach of contract, unreasonable and excessive use of property, strict liability, and willful and wanton conduct in connection with historic oil and gas operations. After two and a half weeks of trial in May 2015, and several adverse evidentiary rulings against the client, the jury returned a verdict in favor of our client, which included the adoption of the client's remediation plan.
- Successful representation of major forest products companies in commercial and contract litigation, class actions, environmental litigation, and toxic tort claims and class actions
- Successful representation of global energy companies in legacy oil field lawsuits obtaining defense verdicts in multi-million dollar claims
- Representation of multinational refiners and petrochemical companies in class action litigation
- Representation of financial institutions in commercial litigation and high-stakes bankruptcy proceedings, including trial strategy and litigation management
- Has represented physicians and other healthcare providers in healthcare law and malpractice claims for over 35 years
- Has negotiated numerous advantageous settlements for industrial and corporate clients engaged in critical litigation
Jim earned his B.A. from Louisiana State University in 1969. He earned his J.D. from the LSU Law Center in 1973. He was with the Louisiana Department of Justice from 1973 until 1976.
- Admitted, Louisiana, 1973; United States District Court for the Middle, Eastern and Western Districts of Louisiana; United States Court of Appeal Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals, United States Supreme Court
- Baton Rouge, Louisiana State (House of Delegates, 1980-1986; Litigation and Environmental Law Sections), American, Federal, Federal Fifth Circuit, Louisiana, 19th and 18th Judicial District Bar Associations; Louisiana Association of Defense Counsel (Board of Directors); Louisiana Bar Foundation (Fellow); American Board of Trial Advocates; Louisiana National Guard (1969-1976), attained rank of captain
Articles, Publications and Presentations
- Medical Malpractice in Louisiana-LSU Continuing Legal Education Department, 2006.
- Recent Developments in Insurance, LSBA, October 2004.
- Professionalism and Ethics in Litigation, 18th JDC Bar Association, April 25, 2003.
- Ethics – It's Legal, But is it Right?, Medical Malpractice in Louisiana Seminar, National Business Institute, March 7, 2003.
- The Defense of a Medical Malpractice Case: Trial Pointers, Medical Malpractice in Louisiana Seminar, National Business Institute, March 7, 2003.
- Louisiana Civil Procedure & Evidence, 2002 Recent Developments in Louisiana Law Seminar, The Center of Continuing Professional Development, LSU Paul M. Hebert Law Center, September 20, 2002.
- Effective Examination of Expert Witnesses, National Business Institute Seminar, 1999.
- Medical Malpractice in Louisiana, National Business Institute, 1997.
- Class Actions in Louisiana, Baton Rouge Bar Association, 1997.
- Insurance Hot Spots, The Pollution Exclusion, Louisiana State Bar Association, 1996.
- 1996 Louisiana Tort Reform, Baton Rouge Certified Public Accountants, 1996.
- Discovery and Pre-Trial Procedure, Baton Rouge Paralegal Association, 1996.
- Litigation-Start to Finish, LSU Continuing Legal Education Department, 2004.
- Co-Chair,Medical Mal-Practice Seminar, LSU Continuing Legal Education Department (2006).
- "Ethics for Municipal Attorneys," Louisiana Municipal Attorneys, LMAA, (2008).
- "Professionalism", LSU Law Center Recent Developments Seminar, 2009.
- "Ethics Litigation", Louisiana Municipal Attorney Association, 2010.
- "Ethics for Governmental Counsel", Louisiana Parish Attorneys Association, 2011.
- President, Plaquemine Rotary Club
- Parish Chairman, United Way Campaign
- Parish Chairman, Sustaining Membership Drive, Istrouma Area Council, Boy Scouts of America
- Board Member, Plaquemine-Iberville Chamber of Commerce
- Member, Board of Directors, Lemoyne Community Action Program
- Volunteer Business Law Teacher, St. John High School
- President, St. John Interparochial School Board
- Member, Special Education Advisory Committee, Iberville Parish School Board
- Member, Board of Directors, Iberville Association for Retarded Citizens
- Member, Plaquemine Jaycees
- Recipient, Plaquemine's 1979 Outstanding Young Man Award
- Member, Board of Directors, Iberville Foundation for Academic Excellence
- Member, Executive Committee, Catholic High School Men's Club
- Member, Baton Rouge Area Foundation