Russel Primeaux is a partner in the Baton Rouge office of Kean Miller. He joined the firm in 1997 and leads the intellectual property (IP) practice, which includes trademark, patent, copyright and trade secrets. Russel is a Registered Patent Attorney and is licensed to practice before the United States Patent and Trademark Office. He represents clients in obtaining protection for the various forms of IP and in litigation involving infringement. Russel also has experience in the representation of clients in the licensing, sale or evaluation of IP.
Russel handles IP matters spanning a wide range of technologies, including biochemistry, business methods, chemical processes, computer printer designs, digital hardware designs, electronic devices, medical devices, microprocessor design, electric power transmission, gas chromatography, oil exploration, software, thermodynamics, and waste treatment. On numerous occasions, he has served as an expert witness in patent infringement litigation in cases involving both utility patents and design patents.
Russel teaches patent law at the LSU Law Center. He served on the Faculty of the LSU Law Center Trial Advocacy Program from 1995 to 1997. Russel served as Chairman of the Intellectual Property Section of the Louisiana State Bar from 1997 to 1998. He is also a former Marine artillery officer and Judge Advocate. Russel is listed in the The Best Lawyers in America (Woodward/White, Inc. 2003-2013 Editions) in the areas of Patent Law, Trademark Law, Litigation - Intellectual Property, and Litigation - Patent and in Louisiana Super Lawyers, 2007. Russel was named Baton Rouge Lawyer of the Year in Trademark Law for 2013 by Best Lawyers. He is a member of the Board of Directors of the Chamber of Greater Baton Rouge. Russel is also listed in the Who's Who Legal USA: Trademarks 2006.
- Representation of a large public university in a wide range of intellectual property, technology transfer and commercialization, and licensing matters
- Representation of a Fortune 1000 company in it intellectual property matters
- Successful representation of a manufacturer of a home improvement product in an $800,000 patent infringement suit
- Negotiation of a biotechnology joint venture involving a major medical foundation
Russel earned his B.S. in Electrical Engineering from the Georgia Institute of Technology in 1981. He earned his J.D., cum laude, in 1987 from the University of San Diego where he was a member of the San Diego Law Review.
- Admitted, California, 1987; Hawaii, 1989; Louisiana, 1993; United States Patent and Trademark Office
- Baton Rouge, Louisiana State and America Bar Associations; Louisiana Association of Defense Counsel
Articles, Publications and Presentations
- Patent 101, keanmiller.com, July 2011.
- Speaker, Copyright Protection for Architectural Designs, Louisiana Chapter of the American Institute of Architects, October 2005.
- Instant Messaging: Does it Belong in the Workplace? Intellectual Property & Technology Law Journal, November 2004.
- Panel Member, The Impact of Technology in the Practice of Law, Panel moderated by Arthur Miller, Harvard Law School, CLE Seminar, New Orleans, Louisiana, May 2004.
- Speaker, Practices of the Municipal Attorney and the Protection of Information, Louisiana Municipal Association Annual Meeting, CLE Seminar, Baton Rouge, Louisiana, November 2003.
- Speaker and Seminar Chair, Privacy and the Protection of Information, Louisiana State Bar Association, CLE Seminar, New Orleans, Louisiana, March 2003.
- Speaker, Intellectual Property: What Is It? Who Owns It? What's It Worth?, Continuing Education Seminar for Certified Public Accountants, Baton Rouge, Louisiana, November 2002.
- Speaker, Intellectual Property Protection for Startups, Louisiana Purchase Venture Capital Forum, Baton Rouge, Louisiana, October 2002.
- Speaker, How to Deal with Intellectual Property Issues, Baton Rouge Bar Association, CLE Seminar, Orange Beach, Alabama, April 2002.
- Speaker, Intellectual Property Issues in E-Commerce, Louisiana State University Center for Continuing Education, CLE Seminar, Baton Rouge, Louisiana, September 2001.
- Speaker, The Wild, Wild Web and Your Practice, Louisiana State Bar Association, CLE Seminar, Lake Buena Vista, Florida, February 2001.
- Protecting Yourself and Your Clients on the Internet , Continuing Education Seminar for Certified Public Accountants, Baton Rouge, Louisiana, February 2000.
- Marketing Your Practice on the Internet , Baton Rouge Bar Association, Orange Beach, Alabama, April 2000.
- Defining Trade Secrets , Louisiana State Bar Association, New Orleans, Louisiana, December 2000.
- Special Issues and the World Wide Web , National Business Institute Seminar, Baton Rouge, Louisiana, March 1999.
- Intellectual Property Section of the Louisiana State Bar Annual Survey, 1999.
- Legal Issues on the Internet , Institute of Management Accountants Meeting, New Orleans, Louisiana, October 1999.
- Exploding Issues in Intellectual Property , Program Chairman, Louisiana State Bar Association Seminar, New Orleans, Louisiana, April 1998.
- Intellectual Property:What Every General Practitioner Should Know , Louisiana Bar Journal, June 1998.
- Intellectual Property - What Every Lawyer Needs to Know , Louisiana State Bar Association Seminar, Sandestin, Florida, June 1998.
- Important Issues in Internet Privacy Law , National Business Institute Seminar, Baton Rouge, Louisiana, October 1998.
- A Trademark: It's More Than Just a Name , Baton Rouge Realtor® Magazine, May 1997.
- Protection of Logos , Baton Rouge Realtor® Magazine, June 1997.
- Like Your Neighbor's House? - Think Twice Before Building One Just Like It , Baton Rouge Realtor® Magazine, July 1997.
- Copyright Law , Tulane School of Law Intellectual Property Law Seminar, New Orleans, Louisiana, September 1997.
- How Intellectual Property Can Help Your Bottom Line , The Law Journal, The Greater Baton Rouge Business Report, November 1997.
- Litigating Intellectual Property Cases , New Orleans Bar Association Intellectual Property Seminar, New Orleans, Louisiana, October 1996.
- Intellectual Property Class, Paul M. Hebert Law Center, Louisiana State University, 1995.
- Board of Directors, The Chamber of Greater Baton Rouge
- Lector, Most Blessed Sacrament Catholic Church
- Public Address Announcer, Catholic High School Track & Field
- Chair, Parent Annual Giving Event, Catholic High of Baton Rouge
J.D., University of San Diego, 1987
San Diego Law Review; cum laude
B.S., Georgia Institute of Technology, 1981
Jurisdictions Admitted to PracticeCalifornia, 1987
U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Professional & Bar Association Memberships
Baton Rouge Bar Association
Louisiana State Bar Association
American Bar Association
Louisiana Association of Defense Counsel