Linda Akchin is a partner in the Baton Rouge office of Kean Miller. She joined the firm in 1986 and practices in the litigation group. Linda represents clients in tax litigation and controversy, sales and use tax, and pipeline expropriation.
- Representation of a wide array of industrial and commercial clients, as well as trade associations, in all aspects of state and local tax at the administrative level as well as in litigation
- Representation of numerous industrial clients in state and local tax litigation
- Successfully represented multiple industrial clients in state and local sales and use tax cases involving the raw material/reprocessing exclusion
- Successfully represented multiple industrial clients in state and local sales and use tax cases involving the constitutionality of taxation of railcars operating in interstate commerce
- Successfully represented industrial client in state income tax litigation relating to the tax treatment of the proceeds of a sale of a major industrial facility within Louisiana
- Representation of the Louisiana Chemical Association, Louisiana Mid-Continent Oil and Gas Association, and Louisiana Independent Oil and Gas Association as amicus curiae in important state and local tax cases
Linda earned her B.S., magna cum laude, from Louisiana State University in 1979. She earned her J.D. in 1986 from the LSU Law Center where she was a Law Review Candidate and graduated Order of the Coif.
- Admitted, Louisiana, 1987; United States Supreme Court; United States District Courts for the Eastern, Middle and Western Districts of Louisiana; United States Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit
- Baton Rouge, Louisiana State (Appellate Section) and American Bar Associations
Articles, Publications and Presentations
- Louisiana Second Circuit Court of Appeals Rejects Disguised "Primary Purpose" Test for Application of the Further Processing Exclusion from Sales Tax to Dual Purpose Materials, Louisiana Law Blog, February 12, 2016.
- Comment, Mennonite Board of Missions v. Adams: Expansion of the Due Process Notice Requirement, 46 Louisiana Law Review 311.
- Circumnavigating Louisiana's Interstate Commerce Exclusion by Apportioning Taxes Upon Instrumentalities of Interstate Commerce, 38 Louisiana Bar Journal 25.
- Selected Ethics Rules Governing the Attorney-Client Relationship in Civil Practice, Baton Rouge Bar Association CLE By the Hour Seminar, 1997, 1998.
- Speaker on various Louisiana Sales and Use Issues, National Business Institute, 1991, 1992, 1994, 2002.
- Lawyer Referral Service Committee, Baton Rouge Bar Association
- VIP Pro Bono Volunteer, Baton Rouge Bar Association
- Meeting Basic Needs Committee, United Way of Baton Rouge