Melanie was listed in The Best Lawyers in America (Woodward/White, Inc. 2003-2004 and 2005-2006 Editions). She is listed in Chambers USA—America’s Leading Business Lawyers (Employment Law, 2004-2008 and 2010-2016) and in Louisiana Super Lawyers (2008). Melanie was selected for inclusion into the 2013 edition of the Martindale-Hubbell Bar Register of Preeminent Women Lawyers.
- Represented employers in numerous EEOC proceedings
- Represented employers in numerous state and federal court employment lawsuits
- Obtained numerous summary judgment rulings in favor of employer clients
- Successfully represented a global chemical company in a labor arbitration
- Represented major industrial client as employer in jury trial in state court in which plaintiff alleged unlawful sex discrimination and sexual harassment; judgment for employer
- Represented major industrial client as employer in jury trial in federal court in which plaintiff alleged unlawful retaliation in denied promotion; judgment for employer
- Represented major industrial client as employer in jury trial in federal court in which plaintiff alleged disability discrimination under the Americans with Disabilities Act; judgment for employer
- Represented major industrial client as employer in jury trial in federal court in which plaintiff alleged race discrimination in denied promotion; judgment for employer
- Obtained summary judgment for a global integrated energy company. In the underlying suit, an employee of the company’s industrial facility claimed his employment had been terminated because of his race. After an earlier partial dispositive motion victory, six depositions, and extensive written discovery and document production, the Court granted our team’s motion and dismissed the plaintiff’s case three weeks before the scheduled jury trial
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of client in suit involving non-competition agreement
- Represented chemical facility in CSB and OSHA investigations
Melanie earned her B.S. in Business Administration from Louisiana State University in 1980. She earned her J.D. from the LSU Law Center in 1984. She was a member of the Moot Court Board from 1983 to 1984.
- Admitted, Louisiana, 1984; United States District Court for the Eastern, Middle and Western Districts of Louisiana; United States Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit; United States Supreme Court
- Baton Rouge, Louisiana State (Employment Law Section), American and Federal Bar Associations
Articles, Publications and Presentations
- Employment Policies: Major Ones You Should Have and Why You Should Bother, Kean Miller Labor and Employment Seminar, November 2011.
- A Checklist of New and Proposed Employment Laws and Regulations for 2010: A Review of What's Come Down, What's Around the Bend and What's Up at the Hill, April, 2010.
- An Imperfect Storm: A Review of the ADA Amendments Act and Some Practical Guidance for Employers, Kean Miller Labor and Employment Seminar, April 15, 2009.
- The Tangled Web of the FMLA and the ADA, Kean Miller Labor and Employment Seminar, April 2008.
- I Want to File a Complaint!, an interactive presentation providing guidance through the complaint investigative process, Kean Miller Labor and Employment Seminar, April 2007.
- Post 9/11: Military Reservists' and National Guardsmen's Employment Rights, American Petroleum Labor Lawyers Association (APLLA) Conference, New Orleans, October 5-6, 2006.
- Organization and Documentation-A Winning Combination, Kean Miller Labor Law Update, April, 2006.
- Sexual Harassment in the Modern Workplace, Kean Miller Labor Law Update, May 18, 2005.
- Seminar to Human Resources managers, 2003.
- Hot Topics in Labor & Employment Law, Greater Baton Rouge Society for Human Resource Management, 2002.
- Hot Topics in Labor & Employment Law, West Baton Rouge Chamber of Commerce, 2001.
- Labor Laws: From Hiring to Firing, McNeese State University, Burton Business Center, 2000, 2001.
- Administering the FMLA for Proper Regulatory Compliance, Council on Education in Management, 1999.
- Knowing Your Employer Rights When Employees are Ready to Return to Work, Council on Education in Management, FMLA Update 1999.
- How to Conduct an Internal Investigation, Council on Education in Management, 1999.
- Louisiana's Statute Governing Statutory Employer Status, Kean Miller Labor and Employment Seminar (Lake Charles), 1998.
- Hot Button Issues in Employment and EEO, Lorman Business Center, Inc. EEOC Seminar, 1997.
- A Brief Discussion in Regard to Some of the Legal Issues and Practical Considerations Presented by Certain Federal Laws in Connection with the Hiring and the Termination of Employees, LHO Conference, 1993.
- Family and Medical Leave Act, an Overview, Kean Miller CPA Breakfast, 1993.
- Sexual Harassment, Baton Rouge Chapter of the American Society of Women Accountants, 1993.
- Employment Discrimination, Kean Miller CPA Breakfast, 1991.
- Overview of Labor and Employment Laws, Kean Miller Labor and Employment Seminar, 1991.
- Issues Upon Termination, Kean Miller Client Seminar, 1990.
- Protected Classes Under EEO Laws, Kean Miller CPA Breakfast, 1990.
- Past Counselor, Junior Achievement of Greater Baton Rouge
- Past Participant, Baton Rouge Association of Women Attorneys Law Week, Lawyer in the Classroom Program
- Past Fundraiser, Greater Baton Rouge Chamber of Commerce Corporate Challenge
- Past Member, Baton Rouge Bar Association Law Day Committee, Bench Bar Conference Committee
- Past Secretary-Treasurer, Baton Rouge Association of Women Attorneys
- Past Member, Ambassadors Committee for Episcopal High School, 2004-2005
- Past Member, Ambassadors Committee for St. James Episcopal Day School, 2003
- Member, First Presbyterian Church