Randy Young is a partner in the Baton Rouge office of Kean Miller. He joined the firm in 1992 and practices in the areas of energy, telecommunications, utility regulation, pilotage regulation, and also in environmental litigation. Randy has 20 years of experience in electric utility regulation and environmental law.
He has represented industrial manufacturing, refining, and related companies before the Louisiana Public Service Commission (LPSC) and the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC). He has represented independent generation companies and power marketers in matters before the LPSC and has represented a telecommunications company in multi-state regulatory complaint proceedings. Randy has also represented an association of shipping charters, agents and operators in matters before the Louisiana Pilotage Commission.
Randy has extensive experience in complex toxic tort litigation, class action proceedings and settlements, insurance claims litigation, and he has represented clients in connection with environmental remediation and Superfund/CERCLA issues and litigation.
Randy is an AV-rated by Martindale-Hubbell, and was elected to The Best Lawyers in America (Woodward White, Inc) in 2007-2016 by his peers. Randy is also listed among the top energy & natural resources lawyers in the State of Louisiana by Chambers USA in 2011 - 2016.
- Representation of the Louisiana Energy Users Group (LEUG), an association of industrial manufacturing, refining and/or related business operations located in Louisiana who collectively purchase more than 9 billion kWh/year of electricity from Entergy Louisiana and Entergy Gulf States, in virtually all electric energy rulemaking and policy matters before the LPSC during the past fifteen years, including proceedings involving avoided cost rules, fuel clause recovery rules, transmission constraint reviews, generation studies, retail competition proceedings, nuclear generation rulemaking, and energy efficiency rulemaking.
- Representation of LEUG in virtually all proceeding before the LPSC pertaining to Entergy Louisiana and Entergy Gulf States during the past fifteen years, including proceedings involving purchase power and generation plant acquisitions, rate cases, annual earnings reviews, performance based ratemaking, rate increase requests, fuel cost reviews, stand-by rate proposals, facilities charge proposals, stranded cost recovery mechanisms, exit fees, hydroplant imprudence investigations, Least Cost Integrated Resource Planning, hurricane storm cost recovery, and plant cancellation cost recovery, and Midwest Independent System Operator (MISO)
- Representation of LEUG, The Williams Companies, Teco Power, Calpine, Sempra and Entegra in proceedings before the LPSC involving investigation of electric purchase power contracts and electric utility resource plans
- Representation of LEUG in Entergy System Agreement proceedings at the FERC related to retail competition, interruptible load cost allocations, production cost equalization, and purchase power contracts
- Representation of LEUG in various rulemaking and other proceedings at the FERC and LPSC, involving RTO and Transco issues
- Representation of Budget Prepay, Inc. in multi-state complaint proceedings pursuant to Interconnection Agreements and the Telecommunications Act
- Representation of Louisiana Chemical Association and New Orleans Steamship Association in ratemaking proceedings before the Louisiana Pilotage Commission
- Representation of KMC Telecom in complaint case before the Tennessee Regulatory Authority related to unfair and discriminatory business practices
- Representation of DSI Transports, Inc. in two major chemical transportation accident cases and related class action litigation involving thousands of claims of area residents; participated in numerous other cases involving defense of class action and / or mass tort environmental claims against industrial/commercial companies including plant explosions, chemical spills and releases, and claims for exposure to environmental contamination
- Representation of various industrial clients in CERCLA cost recovery action and environmental remediation issues, including related to the La. Oil & Recycling site in Baton Rouge, La.; Broussard Chemical Company site in Abbeville, La; Novachem site in North Carolina; Casmalia site in California; Combustion, Inc. site in Denham Springs, La.' and La. Recycling Inc. site in Oil City, La.
- Representation of Triad Inc., Associated Grocers, Inc., Goudchaux Car Care, Inc., in insurance claims litigation against insurers on comprehensive general liability policies for recovery of indemnity and defense costs in environmental and toxic tort litigation
- Representation of DSI Transports, Inc. in transportation accident litigation
Randy earned his B.S. in 1983 from the University of Southwestern Louisiana where he received Outstanding Graduate honors. He earned his J.D. in 1992 from the LSU Law Center where he was a member of the Order of the Coif, Academic Hall of Fame, Phi Kappa Phi, and recipient of the Jules F. Landry Scholarship Award for 1991 - 1992. He also attended the summer law program at Universite' d'Aix Marseille III in Aix en Provence, France.
- Admitted, Louisiana, 1992
- Baton Rouge (Continuing Legal Education Committee), Louisiana State (Public Utilities Section) and American Bar Associations
Articles, Publications and Presentations
- Louisiana Public Service Commission - Electric Utility Regulation - Recent and Current Topics, November 5, 2015.
- Intent in Environmental Racism is Hard to Prove, But Plaintiffs May Not Have To, 4 Corporate Legal Times 26.
- Board Member, Louisiana Manufacturers Political Action Committee (LAMP)
- Treasurer, Louisiana State Bar Public Utilities Section
- Chairman of Membership Sub Committee, Louisiana Chemical Industry Alliance
- Chairman, Law School Liaison Committee, Baton Rouge Bar Association
- Research Committee, Public Affairs Research Council of Louisiana
- Chairman, Treasurer, Friends of Environmental Education
- Chairman, Firm Fundraising Drive, Capital Area United Way
- Chairman, Firm Membership Drive, Baton Rouge Chamber of Commerce
- Judge, LSU Law Center Flory Trial and Moot Court Competitions
- President and Treasurer, Our Lady of Mercy Church Men's Club
- Volunteer, Junior Achievement Teaching Program, Glen Oaks Middle School
- Volunteer, Baton Rouge Mid City Fix Up Projects
- Volunteer, Meals on Wheels
- Volunteer, Science Saturday Workshops for Educators
- Volunteer, Mock Trial Program for High School Students
- Volunteer, Our Lady of Mercy Church Fairs
- Volunteer, Boy Scout Jamborees
- Supporter, United Way, Baton Rouge Cancer Services, Hospice Foundation, Community Fund for the Arts, Lupus Foundation, Baton Rouge Big Buddy Program, Our Lady of Mercy Church