The Final OT Rules Are Out - Time For Action!
The New Defend Trade Secrets Act of 2016 Provides Federal Remedies for Trade Secret Misappropriation
EPA Recognizes that the Baton Rouge Area Attained the 2008 8-Hour Ozone Standard
Failure to Have a HIPAA Business Associate Agreement Results in $750,000 Fine
Attention Louisiana Physicians: State Board of Medical Examiners Issues Final Rules on the Complaint and Investigation Process
Happy New Year! ACA Reporting Deadlines Extended
U.S. Coast Guard Clarifies Marine Casualty Reporting Laws and Regulations
Decades Later - McCorpen Still at Work
Choice of Law Provisions: Cheap Insurance Against the Unpredictable
Fights Continue Over the Availability of Punitive Damages in Maritime Cases
United States Supreme Court to Address the Theory of "Implied Certification" under the False Claims Act
McCorpen Under Attack at the U.S. Supreme Court
Louisiana Legislature Cuts Net Operating Loss Deduction: Taxpayers Should Consider Filing Returns Before July 1, 2015
Louisiana Legislature Cuts Inventory Tax Credit: Taxpayers Should Consider Filing Returns Before July 1, 2015
Colorado Supreme Court Upholds Termination of Employee for Off-Duty Medical Marijuana Use
OIG Issues New Fraud Alert on Physician Compensation Arrangements Such as Medical Director Agreements
Louisiana Employers Beware: Your Reimbursement Plan May Violate Affordable Care Act Market Reformas
Update: U.S. Supreme Court Denies Writs in McBride v. Estis Well Service
Judge Acknowledges Availability of Economic Damages to Contracted Third Party Despite Robins Dry Dock Doctrine
Googling the Marketplace of Ideas
New Federal Regulations Seek Federal Contractor Assistance with Preventing Human Trafficking
Awaiting the Arrival of Proposed Revisions to OSHA PSM and EPA's RMP Rules: Expanding Mechanical Integrity to Cover any Safety-Critical Equipment
Awaiting the Arrival of Proposed Revisions to OSHA PSM and EPA's RMP Rules: Requiring Third-Party Compliance Audits
To Avoid Timeliness Issues, File a Limitation Proceeding Within Six Months of an Incident
Awaiting the Arrival of Proposed Revisions to OSHA PSM and EPA's RMP Rules: Applying PSM / RMP to Oil and Gas
EEOC Issues Updated Enforcement Guidance on Pregnancy Discrimination
The Hobby Lobby Aftermath: What Does This Mean For For-Profit Companies?
EPA Establishes New Refinery AP-42 Emission Factors: No Revision to Flare Nitrogen Oxide (NOx) Factor
"Artificially Impaired" Creditors Can Vote on Chapter 11 Plans in the Fifth Circuit
(1) USCIS Updates Form I-9 for Employment Eligibility Verification; (2) What's in a Name? Classifying Someone as an "Employee" or an "Independent Contractor" Can Have Significant Effects
Not Every Boat is a Vessel: Lozman v. City of Riviera Beach
(1) On the Horizon, Revisions to the Louisiana Private Works Act: "The More Things Change, The More they Stay the Same"; (2) Louisiana's Unique Retainage Escrow Requirements for Construction Contracts
The Employer Mandate Health Care Reform: A Decision Point for Smaller Companies
1. Fifth Circuit Clarifies and Reiterates its Standard for "Course and Scope of Employment" Under Jones Act 2. Does the Deep Water Royalty Relief Act Affect the Calculation of Overriding Royalties? The U.S. Fifth Circuit May Decide This Issue Soon 3. Recent Developments in Medicare Set Aside
NLRB Finds For Employer in First Facebook Firing Case
Pipelines Maximum Pressure Documentation Must be Traceable, Verifiable, and Complete
Whiskey vs. Tequila: Courts find Cuervo's Seal Infringes Maker's Mark Red Wax Seal Trademark
New NLRB Posting Requirement Back on Hold
(1) Guidelines for Promoting Your Business Through Social Networking Websites; (2) Non-profits: Opportunity to Finance Acquisition or Renovation of Property Using Qualified 501(c)(3) Bonds
(1) Final Targeted Populations Rule Released; (2) Advantages and Disadvantages of Arbitration
(1) There is No "Small Company" Excuse to the Duty to Preserve Emails or other Electronically Stored Information (ESI); (2) Louisiana's Business Judgment Rule Protects Corporate Officers From Being Second Guessed, Unlike California's Corporate Law
DHH Settles Class Action Suit Pertaining to Reduction of Service Hours for Medicaid LT-PCS Program
Data Protection and Management
Louisiana DEQ is Eliminating Coverage Under General Permit for Territorial Seas Discharges of Produced Waters
Trademark Protection and the New .XXX Domain Name Launch
The Rogue Co-Owner: Cutting and Selling Timber from a Co-owned Tract (Originally Appeared in the September 2011 edition of Forests & People Magazine)
(1) Enforcement of New Home and Community - Based Service Provider Licensing Standards Begins October 1, 2011 (2) Health Care Reform - Petition Asks for Supreme Court Review of ACA Decision
(1) PHMSA Seeks Comments on Expansion of Gas Transmission Pipeline Regulations (2) Louisiana Affected by President Obama's Action on Ozone Standard Reconsideration
(1) Office of Conservation Issues Emergency Order Imposing Affirmative Obligations on Oilfield Sites, Facilities, Structures, Injection Wells and Pipelines throughout the State (2) EPA Clarifies Solid Waste Materials (3) EPA Extends the Greenhouse Gas Report Program's Reporting Deadline
Lenders and Developers need to understand how Louisiana's Private Works Act applies to their Projects
(1) Court Recharacterizes S Corporation Dividend to Shareholder-Employee as Wages (2) Louisiana Supreme Court Refuses to Review Net Operating Loss Decision
Application of Pesticides that may Impact Water of the State now Require LPDES Permit
(1) Settlement reached in the NLRB Facebook Case (2) Supreme Court holds Title VII Retaliation Claim available to Terminated Fiancé
Louisiana Supreme Court Holds Unfair Trade Practice Claims
Legislature Substantially Amends Louisiana Toxic Air Pollutant Requirements
(1) Piercing the Veil of an LLC - The Fourth Circuit Weighs In (2) Supreme Court Decides Long-Awaited Patent Case
New FLSA Break Time Requirements
Is Act 312 Applicable to my Operations?
Employment Non-Discrimination Act
Declaratory Judgment Action Still Requires Case or Controversy
Guidelines for Promoting Your Business Through Social Networking Websites
Holiday Season in July?
1.) Louisiana's Coming Antidegradation Policy Implementation Procedures
1.) Petition for Rehearing Filed on D.C. Circuit Decision; 2.) EPA Issues Proposed Reporting Rule for Greenhouse Gas Emissions
Great Ideas by Employees - Who Owns Them?
1.) Prevailing Plaintiff in Title VII Retaliatory Discharge Case Awarded Significant Compensatory Damages and Attorney's Fees; 2.) Family Medical Leave Act Regulations become Effective
The Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act Revives Pay Discrimination Claims
Chapter 11 Bankruptcies
Legislature Updates Louisiana Unincorporated Association Law
New "ADA Amendments Act" Becomes Effective in 2009
1.) Federal Court of Appeals Absolves Louisiana Hospital of Liability in Failure to Report Physician Impairment While on the Medical Staff; 2.) Dispensing Physicians Prohibited from Dispensing Controlled Substances
Ninth Circuit Vacates EPA Final Rule Providing for NPDES Permitting Exemptions for Oil and Gas Facilities
Louisiana Property Tax Assessment Review Procedures Arcane
Fifth Circuit Reverses $33 Million Judgment Against Physicians and Hospital Arising from Peer Review Actions
1.) Stopping Internet Copyright Infringement Short of Filing Suit; 2.) Using and Modifying Industry Form Construction Contracts
Are You an Executive Branch Lobbyist?
1.) Is Gun Ownership the New Protected Class in Louisiana?; 2.) Negligent Hiring
1.) Louisiana Supreme Court's Rehearing of Borel v. Young; 2.) OIG Opines Favorably on Electronic Kiosks Provided by Pharmaceutical Manufacturer
Louisiana Decision on Sale of Minority L.L.P. Interest Absent Liquidation has Health Care Provider Implications
Refusal to Hire Impaired Worker not Disability Bias under ADA
Supreme Court to Rehear Borel v. Young
"Me Too" or Not To: That is the Question Still
IRS Issues Notice Explaining GO Zone Recapture Rules for Like Kind Exchange of GO Zone Property
Louisiana Air Toxics Regulations Revised by the Louisiana Department of Environmental Quality (LDEQ)
Family Medical Leave Act Amended As Part of National Defense Authorization Act
Arbitration Not Applicable to Contract of Labor
Physician Must Comply with Terms of Non-Competition Agreement
Fifth Circuit Issues First Opinion Regarding a Sarbanes-Oxley Whistleblower Complaint
Revisions to Louisiana Solid Waste Regulations
Due diligence for patents and copyrights presents ownership issues if the author/inventor is or was married and resides in a community property state.
“Temporal Proximity” Alone Insufficient To Prove Retaliatory Discharge Claim
1.) Non-profits should proceed with caution when engaging in money making operations; 2.) Exclusive and Prohibited Use Clauses in Commercial Leases
Is a change in the National Labor Relations Act on the horizon?
Untapped Benefits of Louisiana's Pollution Tax Exclusion; Louisiana Department of Environmental Quality Launches the MAML
Protecting Your Employees' Personal Identifying Information; Why be a "Statutory Employer" in Louisiana?
President Bush Signs Trademark Revision Act of 2006
DeficitReduction Act Requirements; Supreme Court Vacates 3rd Circuit Decision;State Board of Nursing Improperly Releases "Rule"
1.) Inspector General Releases Open Letter; 2.) Legislation Pending to Establish a Prescription Monitoring Program in Louisiana
1.) LMMA Does Not Apply to EMTALA; 2.) Louisiana Legislature ConsidersState Stark Law; 3.) Deficit Reduction Act of 2005 Imposes...
1.)5th Circuit Recognizes that an Employer's Placement of an Employee onLeave can Result in "Involuntary" FMLA Leave IF... 2.) Is It"Jurisdictio
1.) Landowner not Liable Under OPA 90 for Abandoned Oilfield Equipment
1.) Patent Searching; 2.) GO Zone and Bonus Depreciation
1.) What does Go Zone mean to my Business?
1.) These Boots are Made for Walkin'...; 2.) Do you Face a Challenge of our Modern Era?
1.) Dealing with Disability Claims; 2.) Louisiana Strenghtens Employment-at-Will Doctrine.
1.) Maintenance and Protection of Your Trademarks; 2.) Efforts to Maintain Secrecy to be Scrutinized in regard to Trade Secrets.
1.)The "Say You're Sorry" Movement; 2.) National Database for MedicalErrors; 3.) HIPAA Privacy in Emergencies; 4.) Is the $500K "Cap"Adequate Remed