Amanda Howard LowePartner
Amanda Howard Lowe is a partner in the New Orleans office of Kean Miller. She joined the firm in 2009 and practices in the admiralty and maritime, energy and corporate litigation groups. Amanda has considerable experience in a wide variety of admiralty issues, including Jones Act and personal injury defense, oil and gas casualty and property damage issues, maritime litigation, oil and gas exploration, drilling accidents, well blowouts, reservoir damage, cargo damage, ship collisions, ship allusions, vessel groundings, lift board and jack-up rig accidents, vessel mortgage filings, product liability, redhibition, as well as premises liability, construction defect litigation and general personal injury litigation. Amanda routinely assists clients with general corporate matters and provides general corporate advice. Amanda’s practice also includes drafting, reviewing and litigating various maritime and oil and gas commercial contracts.
Amanda has developed extensive litigation experience in matters involving all manner of oil and gas and maritime issues. She has successfully defended numerous clients against multi-million dollar claims in both Federal and State venues throughout Louisiana. She regularly provides advice on state and federal statutes and regulations, including the OCSLA, LHWCA, GARA, and other related regulations.
Amanda is a member of the New Orleans CityBusiness Women of the Year Class of 2016. She is listed as a rising star in Louisiana Super Lawyers 2018-2019.
- Successfully defended oil/gas platform owner in litigation involving a helicopter crash into the Gulf of Mexico. Obtained a zero liability defense verdict for the client.
- Representation of the oil and gas operators in reservoir and well damage claims, drilling disputes, and prosecution and defense of breach of contract and gross negligence claims.
- Experience litigating pipeline property damages cases involving pipeline ruptures and other associated pollution and property damage claims
- Experience representing various owners, contractors, and subcontractors, in construction litigation involving contract interpretation, performance, lien rights, and remedies
- Experience litigating and negotiating contractual disputes involving defense and indemnity issues
- Experience litigating and negotiating contractual disputes involving Joint Operating Agreements regarding royalty and other ownership interests in oil/gas wells, as well as disputes regarding the oil/gas operators and the “prudent operator” standard.
- Experience assisting clients in contract drafting, negotiations, and disputes, as well as general corporate matters
- Experience in the representation of various drilling companies and oil companies in lawsuits filed by offshore workers based on the Jones Act, General Maritime Law, Louisiana state law and the Longshore and Harbor Workers' Compensation Act (LHWCA)
- Experience in the representation of various energy companies in well blowouts and all claims arising from significant catastrophes, which involve contract disputes, personal injury and death claims, environmental issues, and large property damage claims
- Experience in the representation of offshore oil and gas platform owners and operators in defense of personal injury claims and in prosecution of property damage claims associated with well blowouts, vessel allusions, personal basket transfers and other issues, including analysis of defense and indemnity issues under relevant contracts
- Experience in the representation of various oil companies and drilling companies in litigation involving disputes over contracts with service companies and oil companies, including Master Service Agreements
- Experience in the representation of platform owners in personal injury actions arising from Outer Continental Shelf operations
- Experience in the representation of numerous marine and energy companies involving significant catastrophes resulting from ruptures of pipelines and explosions
- Experience in the representation of a pipeline owner in litigation arising from an oil spill in state territorial water
Amanda earned her B.A. from Loyola University New Orleans in 2003. She earned her J.D., cum laude, in 2009 from the Loyola University New Orleans College of Law where she was a member of the Loyola Trial Advocacy National Team and the Trial Advocacy Board, 2008 to 2009. While at Loyola, Amanda was inducted into the National Order of the Barrister, 2009.
- Admitted, Louisiana, 2009; United States District Courts for the Eastern, Middle and Western Districts of Louisiana; United States Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit
- New Orleans, Louisiana State, American, Federal and Fifth Circuit Bar Associations; New Orleans Mariners Club; Houston Mariners Club; Women's Energy Network, Southeast Louisiana Chapter; Women in Shipping and Trade Association; Member of the Transportation Committee of the World Trade Center of New Orleans, Louisiana; IEL Leadership Class participant (2020-2021)
- U.S. 5th Circuit Defines "Operating" Under OPA, Louisiana Law Blog, December 4, 2018
- Board of Directors, Southeastern Chapter, Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation
- Volunteer, Fundraiser for Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation
- Volunteer, Kids Kicking Cancer
- Volunteer, Muscular Dystrophy Association
- Volunteer, Lazarus House
- Volunteer, March of Dimes
- Judge, LSBA High School Mock Trial Competition
- Judge, Loyola University New Orleans School of Law Trial Advocacy Competition