Kean Miller is seeking a Billing Analyst to work in our Accounting Department. This position is responsible for the coordination of the client billing process for an assigned group of attorneys and clients. This includes reviewing and maintaining billing memos, preparing billing memos and/or invoices for review by the billing partner, coordinating the processing of bills and ensuring client guidelines are followed. Electronic billing is a main function of the Billing Analyst’s responsibilities. This is a hands-on position that involves working within a team-oriented and client-centered environment. The successful candidate will be detail-oriented with strong communication, critical thinking and client support service skills.
- Compiles accurate timekeeper hours and client costs for billing every month or as directed by the billing attorney.
- Reviews and edits pre-bills in response to attorney requests.
- Submits invoices to accounts receivables if directed by attorneys to apply retainer/trust funds.
- Executes complex bills in a timely manner (i.e. multiple pricing discounts by matter and split-party billing).
- Analyzes client write-downs of bills and works with attorneys on appeals.
- Processes write-downs in accordance with Firm policy.
- Reviews and verify accuracy of billing and supporting documentation as required.
- Researches and responds to inquiries regarding billing issues and problems.
- Reviews new matters set up in New Matter Opening System daily and verify/ enter billing instructions in Aderant System for all new matters.
- Coordinates with billing attorney billing rates, billing instructions and special billing requirements mandated by clients.
- Maintain and be familiar with client billing guidelines for all assigned clients; keeps others in Billing department informed of changes .
- Create new client billing guidelines as needed.
- Create billing schedules and produce billing proforma analysis as requested by attorney.
- Utilizes computerized accounting and billing software programs (e.g., Aderant Expert, LEDES, Excel) for billing and reporting.
- Assist in preparing documentation and responses for legal inquiries, litigation and audits when necessary.
- Assists with special projects as needed.
- Law firm experience a plus.
- Experience with electronic billing applications is preferred.
- Experience may be substituted for education and/or certifications.
- Able to work under pressure, independently as well as with a team.
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills.
- Attention to detail and strong organizational skills is a must.
- Highly responsive to emails and requests for information.
- Able to prioritize and work efficiently under pressure and handle challenges in a professional manner.
- Excellent communication skills are required with both attorneys and staff to ensure accurate and timely billing is accomplished.
- Proficient computer skills including Microsoft Office products, with strong focus on Excel.
Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or Business Administration, preferred.
What Kean Miller Offers
Kean Miller provides its employees with competitive salaries and a full paid benefits package, a great work environment, stability, generous paid-time off and contributes to a 401k plan.
How to Apply
Please send a confidential resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Firm is committed to providing equal employment opportunity to all applicants and employees in full compliance with all applicable state, federal, and local laws and strictly prohibits, and does not tolerate, discrimination against employees, applicants, and others based upon race, color, sex (including pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions), national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, age, disability, gender identity, transsexual status, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, religion, creed, genetic tests or genetic information, sickle cell trait, or any other status, characteristic, or activity protected by applicable law. This applies to all aspects of employment including recruitment, hiring, promotion, transfer, demotion, discipline, and discharge.