Billing Coordinator - Baton Rouge or Lafayette
Kean Miller is seeking a Billing Coordinator to work in our Accounting Department. This position is responsible for the coordination of the client billing process for an assigned group of attorneys and clients. This includes reviewing and maintaining billing memos, preparing billing memos and/or invoices for review by the billing partner, coordinating the processing of bills and ensuring client guidelines are followed. Electronic billing is a main function of the Billing Coordinator’s responsibilities. This is a hands-on position that involves working within a team-oriented and client-centered environment. The successful candidate will be detail-oriented with strong communication, critical thinking and client support service skills.
- Compiles accurate timekeeper hours and client costs for billing every month or as directed by the billing attorney
- Reviews and edits pre-bills in response to attorney requests
- Submits invoices to accounts receivables if directed by attorneys to apply retainer/trust funds
- Executes complex bills in a timely manner (i.e. multiple pricing discounts by matter and split-party billing)
- Processes write-downs in accordance with Firm policy
- Reviews and verify accuracy of billing and supporting documentation as required
- Researches and responds to inquiries regarding billing issues and problems
- Reviews new matters set up in New Matter Opening System daily and verify/ enter billing instructions in Aderant System for all new matters
- Coordinates with billing attorney billing rates, billing instructions and special billing requirements mandated by clients
- Maintain and be familiar with client billing guidelines for all assigned clients; keeps others in Billing department informed of changes
- Create new client billing guidelines as needed
- Create billing schedules and produce billing proforma analysis as requested by attorney
- Utilizes computerized accounting and billing software programs (Aderant Expert, New Matter Opening System, Timekeeping System, Excel, Word and PDF Converter, as needed) for billing and reporting
- Assist in preparing documentation and responses for legal inquiries, litigation and audits when necessary
- Assists with special projects as needed
- 5-7 years’ experience working in a professional services firm. Law firm experience a plus.
- Experience with electronic billing software packages (i.e. Serengiti, TyMetrix, CounselLink, LEDES) is required along with proactively developing and maintaining technical knowledge while remaining up-to-date on current trends and best practices
- Experience with electronic billing applications is required, as well as the ability to understand complex billing guidelines, analyze and track e-bills that require appeals due to deductions and specialty billing
- Able to work under pressure, independently as well as with a team
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills
- Highly responsive to emails and request for information
- Able to prioritize and work efficiently under pressure and handle challenges in a professional manner
- Excellent communication skills are required with both attorneys and staff to ensure accurate and timely billing is accomplished
- Proficient computer skills including Microsoft Office products, with strong focus on Excel. Experience with a comprehensive accounting system a plus
2 – 4 year Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Business Administration
What Kean Miller Offers
Kean Miller provides its employees with competitive salaries and a full paid benefits package, a great work environment, stability, generous paid-time off and contributes to a 401k plan.
How to Apply
Please send a confidential resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Kean Miller is committed to providing equal employment opportunity to all applicants and employees in full compliance with all state, federal and local laws prohibiting discrimination based upon, race, color, national origin, gender identity, age, genetic information, disability, military or veteran status, religion, sexual orientation, or other status protected by law. This applies to all aspects of employment including recruitment, hiring, promotion, transfer, demotion, discipline and discharge.