Brett P. FenasciPartner
Brett Fenasci is a partner in the New Orleans office of Kean Miller. He rejoined the firm in 2022, practicing in the Energy and Marine Litigation group. Brett has extensive litigation and trial experience in matters involving commercial disputes, admiralty and maritime law, environmental law, energy law, vessel collisions and allisions, insurance disputes, and administrative law proceedings.
Brett is an Adjunct Professor of Law at Loyola University of New Orleans, College of Law, teaching admiralty and maritime law and procedure (2009-present).
Brett was selected by New Orleans CityBusiness as a 2015 Leadership in Law recipient.
- Multiple defense verdicts in jury trials of personal injury and property damage against offshore platform owners, oil field service companies, offshore energy producers, marine towing companies, and exploration and production companies
- Successful bench trial of breach of contract action involving alleged commercial construction defects
- Representation of energy companies in class action and mass joinder litigation involving personal injury and property damage claims involving Naturally-Occurring Radioactive Materials (“NORM”)
- Representation of energy company in multimillion dollar claim involving a pipeline rupture caused by grounding of semi-submersible drilling rig
- Representation of marine insurer in coverage dispute in the U.S. Fifth Circuit Court of Appeal resulting in reversal of district court’s decision that coverage was owed under the policy
- Representation of numerous drilling companies, energy companies, and offshore oilfield contractors in lawsuits filed under the Jones Act, General Maritime Law, Longshore and Harbor Workers' Compensation Act, the Outer Continental Shelf Lands Act, as well as Louisiana and Texas state law
- Representation of various drilling companies, oil companies, and offshore contractors in contractual disputes, including Master Service Agreements
- Representation of manufacturers in product liability litigation
- Representation of ship repairer in claim by vessel owner for property damage
- Representation of construction contractors in commercial disputes
- Representation of vessel owners and vessel charterers in charter party disputes
Brett earned his B.A., magna cum laude, from the University of Georgia in 2002. He earned his J.D., magna cum laude, from Loyola University New Orleans College of Law in 2005.
- Admitted, Louisiana; United States District Court for the Eastern, Middle and Western Districts of Louisiana, 2005; United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- New Orleans Bar Association
- Louisiana Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
- Loyola University School of Law, Adjunct Faculty
- The Maritime Law Association of the United States
- Loyola Maritime Law Journal Advisory Board
- St. Thomas More Inn of Court
- Longshore and Harbor Workers' Compensation Act 101 - Who is Covered, Louisiana Law Blog, May 31, 2016
- An Antitrust Analysis of College Football's Bowl Championship Series, 50 Loy. L. Rev. 967, 2004
- Board of Directors, Boys Hope Girls Hope of New Orleans, 2010 - Present