Carey Messina is a partner in the Baton Rouge-Bluebonnet office of Kean Miller. He is one of the founding members of the firm and previously served as the administrative partner for six years. Carey leads the firm's estate planning and probate group and represents clients in wills, trust, succession, and federal tax matters. He works with individuals and families to establish estate plans. Carey also works with individuals to create life insurance trusts and charitable trusts. Additionally, Carey works with fellow Kean Miller partner, Todd Rossi, in regard to succession, trust and will disputes.
Carey is a Certified Public Accountant and is a Board Certified Tax Law Specialist and Board Certified Estate Planning and Administration Specialist by the Louisiana Board of Legal Specialization. He is a Fellow of the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel, he is listed in The Best Lawyers in America (Woodward/White) in Trusts and Estates, and Tax Law and listed in Louisiana Super Lawyers, 2007-2016. He was named Baton Rouge Lawyer of the Year in Trusts and Estates (2013) and listed as one of the Top 50 Louisiana Super Lawyers (2013 and 2014).
- Representation and creation of life insurance trusts and charitable trusts
- Representation of clients in the formation of wills and trust instruments to defer estate taxes and gain maximum flexibility for post-mortem planning
- Representation of numerous local businesses in corporate and shareholder agreement matters
- Representation of families in numerous succession matters
- Representation of families in interdiction matters
Carey earned his B.B.A. from Northeast Louisiana University in 1974 and passed the Certified Public Accounting examination in 1975. He earned his J.D. from the LSU Law Center in 1978 and his LL.M. in Taxation from New York University School of Law in 1979.
- Admitted, Louisiana, 1979
- Baton Rouge, Louisiana State and American Bar Associations; American College of Trust and Estate Counsel (Fellow); Estate Planning and Administration Advisory Commission (Past President); Louisiana Board of Legal Specialization (Past President); Baton Rouge Estate Planning Council
Articles, Publications and Presentations
- Employer Provided Assistance for Employees Affected by the 2016 Flood, Louisiana Law Blog, August 19, 2016
- Laws Governing Trusts in Louisiana Became Animal-Friendly This Year, Louisiana Law Blog, August 6, 2015.
- Federal Estate Tax and Gift Update, Business Briefing Seminar, February 25, 2011
- Louisiana's Forced Heirship Law, Louisiana State University Estate Planning Seminar, 1996
- Louisiana State University Estate Planning Seminars, Louisiana Sales and Use Tax Update, National Business Institute, 1994.
- Death Taxes and Louisiana Considerations With Respect to Non-Probate Assets, East Baton Rouge Parish Bar Association Tax Section, 1992.
- Louisiana State University Estate Planning Seminar, Basic Probate in Louisiana, National Business Institute, 1988.
- Planned Giving Council, LSU Foundation
- The Community Chest of Capital Area United Way
- Planned Giving Council, St. Joseph's Academy
- Planned Giving Council, Mary Bird Perkins Cancer Center
- Former Member, Capital City Kiwanis Club
- Former Chairman, St. Joseph's Academy Advisory Board
- Director, East Baton Rouge Parish Academic Distinction Fund