Chief Financial Officer (CFO)
Kean Miller LLP is seeking a Chief Financial Officer (CFO) to oversee all aspects of the Firm’s financial operations and functions. Based in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, this is a senior administrative role that will report to the Chief Operating Officer, working closely with the firm’s Managing Partner, General Counsel, and other officers, including but not limited to Chief Human Resources Officer, Chief Technology Officer, Chief Marketing and Business Development Officer, and Chief Facility and Records Officer. The CFO enjoys extensive input into the Firm’s strategic direction, and tactical efforts which support that direction.
The CFO provides data and advice in connection with a variety of cutting-edge projects, such as Alternative Fee Arrangements, rate negotiations, attorney compensation, competitive intelligence, client team efforts, practice group efforts, and projects designed to position the Firm for financial and operational success.
The CFO is the lead professional within the Firm’s Finance Department, providing counsel, leadership, training, support, feedback, and encouragement to department personnel.
The new CFO will work with the current CFO for a period of 12 months prior to the current CFO’s retirement. The current CFO has been with the Firm for 25 years.Primary Responsibilities:
- Directs and maintains responsibility for the financial functions of the Firm, acting as a key strategic business advisor.
- Maintains and improves the integrity of the firm’s financial practices, and oversees relationships with financial institutions, auditors, and CPAs.
- Evaluates, implements, and supports the effectiveness of internal financial controls.
- Assists in the implementation of financial and business tactics that further the Firm’s strategic plan, providing support and input to the Managing Partner, Management Committee, Practice Group Leaders, COO, and Firm Officers.
- Oversees and participates in cash management, budgeting, billing, collections, vendor payments, payroll, internal and external audits, and retirement plan issues.
- Leads and manages a professional staff of 14, including a senior staff which includes an Accounting Manager, a Financial Analyst, a Billing Supervisor, a Payables Supervisor, Accounts Receivable Supervisor, and Collections Supervisor.
- Optimizes the performance of the Finance Department, ensuring accurate handling of daily transactions while continuing to provide excellent customer service to the partners, attorneys, and staff.
- Hires, trains, evaluates, and develops Finance Department staff.
- Performs timely and complex financial analyses in order to provide input on the Firm’s business transactions and strategic initiatives. Creates profitability and cost-benefit analysis reports as well as evaluation of possible lateral combinations.
- Prepares and distributes monthly partnership financial reports, including productivity and financial statements. Evaluates effectiveness of the report package and recommends changes as needed.
- Monitors trends and performs benchmarking within the legal industry. Provides input, recommendations, and insights to key stakeholders.
- Participates in various Firm Committees, including but not limited to Finance, 401(k), Insurance, Risk Management, and in the efforts of the Firm’s seven core Practice Groups.
- Demonstrated understanding of law firm billing/accounting system software such as Elite Enterprise, Aderant Expert, Whitehill Document Studio, DTE time entry tool, financial statement software FRX, BI software Redwood/Spotlight.
- Ten to Fifteen years of experience required; Legal industry preferred.
- Strong technical accounting knowledge, including an understanding of GAAP, tax
- requirements of governmental agencies, and general auditing procedures.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills. Must be able to provide clear, precise, and well-substantiated explanations of financial events and trends. Comfortable with presentations to groups of attorneys.
- Meticulous attention to detail.
- Ability to work well, individually and in teams, with a diverse group of people. Excellent
- people skills required.
- Comfortable and skillful with hands-on approach in situations where tasks and analyses cannot be delegated.
- Ability to bring and manage meaningful change and participate in Process Improvement and Project Management initiatives
- Strong leadership and management skills.
- Bachelor’s in Accounting, Business Management, or Finance. MBA a plus.
Kean Miller provides its employees with highly competitive salaries and benefits, a great work environment, stability, generous paid-time off, and a 401k plan. Employees are recognized and rewarded for their achievements through annual performance evaluations and salary reviews.
Kean Miller is continually recognized as one of the Best Places to Work by business publications in Baton Rouge, New Orleans, and Shreveport.
Kean Miller is committed to providing equal employment opportunity to all applicants and employees in full compliance with all state, federal and local laws prohibiting discrimination based upon, race, color, national origin, gender identity, age, genetic information, disability, military or veteran status, religion, sexual orientation, or other status protected by law. This applies to all aspects of employment including recruitment, hiring, promotion, transfer, demotion, discipline and discharge.
Qualified candidates, please send cover letter and resume to email@example.com
All inquiries will be kept confidential. EOE/mf
With more than 150 attorneys, Kean Miller is one of the largest full-service law firms based in Louisiana, and the largest in the Capital Region. From offices in Baton Rouge, New Orleans, Shreveport, Lake Charles and Houston, we serve the legal needs of the people, businesses, and industries that drive the regional economy. We have particular dedication to serving Fortune 1000 companies with significant operations in the Gulf South, providing them with legal resources focused on growth. From the courtroom to the boardroom, our people provide creative solutions, unique strategies, and unparalleled value that allow our clients to perform at the highest level.
Kean Miller serves clients in numerous industries, including maritime, energy, petrochemicals, manufacturing, drilling and exploration, pipeline, technology, telecommunications, media, advertising, film and entertainment, retail, food and beverage, construction, contracting, banking, financial services, shipping, transportation, gaming, education, health care, refining and real estate.
Whether we are helping clients defend lawsuits, raise capital, comply with regulatory requirements, enter new markets, obtain or defend intellectual property rights, develop and distribute products and services, or acquire or divest businesses, we understand it is the client’s goals that are paramount.
Kean Miller has a particular dedication to working closely with local businesses and Fortune 1000 companies with significant operations in our region - ensuring that they have the people, resources, and legal talent required to grow into leaders in the region.
For more information, visit our website at: https://www.keanmiller.com