Claire Elizabeth JuneauPartner
Claire Juneau is a litigator and partner in the New Orleans office of Kean Miller. Her practice focuses on complex litigation, including commercial, environmental, energy, and oil and gas matters. She is routinely engaged to defend companies in high stakes litigation, including defense of cases with exposure in the hundreds of millions, if not billions of dollars. She is called on by clients for strategic and creative solutions to win their cases. Finally, as part of her practice, Claire regularly counsels clients on matters affecting the litigation such as media and governmental relations. . Prior to joining the firm, Claire served as a Law Clerk to Supreme Court Associate Justice Jeffery Victory.
Claire is listed as a Rising Star by Louisiana Super Lawyers 2020.
- Representation of clients in contractual disputes and litigation as both plaintiff and defendant.
- Representation of major oil and gas companies in lawsuits alleging that soil, sediment, groundwater, drinking water, and other types of environmental contamination were caused by oil and gas exploration and production activities, gas processing/midstream operations, and refining operations throughout Louisiana
- Representation of major oil and gas companies in oil field legacy cases involving Louisiana Act 312, as well as claims for alleged breaches of mineral leases, surface lease, and the Louisiana Mineral Code
- Representation of major oil and gas company in cases involving land loss and subsidence asserted under the Louisiana Coastal Zone Management Act
- Representation of pipeline companies at the Louisiana Department of Natural Resources
- Appellate counsel for major oil and gas company
- Obtained successful reversal of appellate court decision at the Louisiana Supreme Court in representation of major oil and gas company
- Representation of major oil and gas company in connection with claims of environmental property damage related to exploration and production activities resulting in complete dismissal of claims at the summary judgment stage
- Representation of major oil and gas company in successful claim for indemnity under terms of sale agreement
- Representation of major oil and gas company in connection with claims for underpayment of royalties and lease cancellation resulting in complete dismissal of claims at the summary judgment stage
Claire received her B.A., summa cum laude, in 2007 from Louisiana State University. Claire received her J.D., magna cum laude, in 2010 from the LSU Law Center where she was a member of the Order of the Coif, and was a member of the Louisiana Law Review. Claire was named to the Chancellor's List and was given the CALI Award for the highest grade in Civil Law Property, Employment Law, Comparative Labor Law, and Employment Discrimination.
- Admitted, Louisiana, 2010; United States District Courts for the Eastern, Middle and Western Districts of Louisiana, 2012; United States Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit, 2012
- Louisiana State and Baton Rouge Bar Associations; Women's Energy Network, Southeast Louisiana Chapter
- Suits Challenging Rules Defining "Waters of the United States" Must be Filed in Federal District Court, The Energy Law Advisor, Volume 12, No. 1, March 2018
- Recent Cases from Federal Courts of Appeal Indicate Expansion of Both Jurisdiction and Liability Under the Federal Clean Water Act, The Energy Dispatch, Issue 2 May 2018
- Levee Board Seeks Review of Application of Grable/Gunn jurisdiction with the United States Supreme Court, Energy Law Advisor, Volume 11, No. 2, August 2017
- United States Supreme Court Reverses California Supreme Court Decision that Extended the Jurisdictional Reach of State Courts, Louisiana Law Blog, July 3, 2017
- U.S. Fifth Circuit Upholds Dismissal of Flood Protection Authority Case Against Oil and Gas Industry Members, Louisiana Law Blog, March 3, 2017
- The Flood of 2016: Governor Edwards Amends Executive Order Suspending Running of Prescription, Peremption, and Legal Delays, Louisiana Law Blog, August 18, 2016
- Governor Edwards Issues Executive Order Suspending Prescriptive and Peremptive Periods and All Other Legal Delays, Louisiana Law Blog, August 16, 2016
- Act 312 - Louisiana Legislature Passes New Measures to Speed Remediation Process, Louisiana Law Blog, September 11, 2012
- Treasurer, Women’s Energy Network-Southeast Louisiana Chapter
- Committee Member, New Orleans’ March of Dimes Signature Chefs’ Showcase
- Judge, Paul M. Hebert Law Center, Flory Trials
- Committee Member, Junior League of Baton Rouge's Fest for All Committee
- Co-Chair, Kean Miller Belly Up with the Bar Committee, Baton Rouge Bar Association, 2012
- Former Program Director, Women’s Energy Network-Southeast Louisiana Chapter
- Board Member, Baton Rouge Ballet Theatre