Dean Cazenave is a partner in the Baton Rouge office of Kean Miller. He has more than 23 years of experience in corporate, business and real estate law. Dean represents clients in a variety of corporate, finance, and commercial real estate transactions. These transactions include general commercial contracts, such as license agreements, employment agreements, supply agreements, and strategic alliance agreements. Dean also has experience in transactions such as mergers and acquisitions and private placements.Dean is listed in The Best Lawyers in America (Mergers and Acquisition Law, 2009-2017). He is listed by Best Lawyers as the Baton Rouge Lawyer of the Year in Mergers and Acquisitions Law for 2016.
- Legal adviser to a publicly-traded outdoor advertising company in its acquisition of more than 5,500 outdoor advertising assets for $458 million.
- Representation of a publicly-traded outdoor advertising company in the $145 million acquisition of all of the stock of a privately held outdoor advertising company and its subsidiaries. As a result of the transaction, the client acquired outdoor advertising assets in more than six states and approximately 75 employees. The transaction was signed and closed on an expedited basis to help achieve the client’s overarching business goals.
- Lead outside counsel for a publicly traded Fortune 1000 company in connection with various acquisitions, divestitures and joint ventures
- Served as local counsel for the seller in connection with the sale of pipelines and certain industrial facilities
- Representation of financial institutions in connection with production lending and tax credit financing
- Representation of a privately held grocery cooperative in various corporate matters and commercial contracts, including transportation agreements, maintenance and services contracts, equipment leases, facility leases, and license agreements
- Representation of various banks in connection with secured finances, including construction loans and asset-based loans
- Representation of a paper mill in various commercial contracts, including supply agreements and loan agreements
- Representation of a chemical company in connection with a fabrication agreement for specialized vessels with a foreign fabricator
- Representation of various start-ups and early stage businesses in connection with capital raising transactions including private placements
- Represented owners of closely held companies in connection with the sale of various businesses
- Prepared employment agreements, professional services agreements and organizational documents, including LLC operating agreements and shareholder's agreements, for physician groups and healthcare staffing agencies
- Prepared private placement memorandum for ambulatory surgery center
- Assisted with sale of home health agency
- Reviewed and revised equipment leases for medical groups
Dean earned his B.S., summa cum laude, from Louisiana Tech University in 1987. He earned his J.D., cum laude, in 1990 from Loyola University New Orleans College of Law where he was a member of the Loyola Law Review.
- Admitted, Texas and Louisiana, 1991
- Baton Rouge, Louisiana State and American (Business Law Section) Bar Associations; State Bar of Texas
Articles, Publications and Presentations
- Do Lenders and Borrowers Intend a Novation of Prior Agreements? A Cautionary Tale and the Need to be Crystal Clear in Drafting Amendments, Louisiana Law Blog, February 19, 2016
- Business Notes, March 2004
- Business Notes, February 2005
- Choosing a Business Entity: Practical Considerations
- Negotiating Commercial Leases
- Post-Katrina Louisiana Contracts and the Doctrine of Impossibility
- Basic Corporate Law in Louisiana, National Business Institute, 1998
- Past-President, Board of Directors, Riverbend Homeowners Association
- Metro 3 Planning and Zoning Citizen's Advisory Council
- Member, Baton Rouge Area Foundation
- Member, Baton Rouge Symphony Young Patrons Organization
- Youth athletics coach, YMCA, CYO and BREC
- Member, Rotary Club of Baton Rouge