Gary Bezet is a founding member of Kean Miller and of counsel to the Baton Rouge office. He served as the Managing Partner of the firm from 2004 to 2012. Gary practices in the litigation and toxic tort defense group. He was recognized as one of Louisiana's four leading trial lawyers in Litigation Management magazine. He is also listed in The Best Lawyers in America 2017, Chambers USA 2015, and Louisiana Super Lawyers 2008-2016. He is a Fellow in the American College of Trial Lawyers (ACTL) and a Fellow in the Litigation Counsel of America.
Gary has spoken at numerous conferences, including DRI, on the subject of toxic tort defense. Gary represents industrial and energy industry clients in cases involving toxic tort, chemical exposure, pipeline expropriation, products liability, hearing loss, and class action defense. Gary is one of the leading asbestos & toxic tort defense lawyers in the nation. Gary is a widely respected litigation strategist having handled thousands of cases for some of the nation's most prominent energy and petrochemical companies.
Gary has more than 30 years of legal experience and has successfully handled hundreds of class action and individual claims involving toxic tort defense.
- Landmark decision by the Louisiana Supreme Court holding that hearing loss tort claims against employers are barred because those claims are compensable under the Louisiana Workers Compensation Act ("the Act") as an occupational disease under the Act's post-1975 definition of that term as an accident under the Act's pre-1990 definition of that term.
- Representation of a multi-national chemical company in a class action lawsuit involving over 4,000 plaintiffs and alleged damages of $500 million
- National trial team member for a major product manufacturer
- Lead trial counsel to a major northeast municipality in defense of benzene landfill litigation
- Lead trial counsel for major oil company in class actions involving refinery operations
- Successfully represented a major international energy company in defending claims for cancer caused by exposure to asbestos
- Lead counsel to more than 10 petrochemical premises owners in thousands of cases
- Representation of a pesticide manufacturer in a state-wide class action lawsuit involving the alleged contamination of aquaculture facilities
Gary earned his B.A. from Louisiana State University in 1976. He earned his J.D. from the LSU Law Center in 1979.
- Admitted, Louisiana, 1979
- Baton Rouge, Louisiana State and American (Litigation Section) Bar Associations; Louisiana Association of Defense Counsel
Articles, Publications and Presentations
- The Art of Examination, Tulane Law School Trial by Masters, 1992.
- The Effect of a Suspension Appeal on the Non-Appealing Party, 38 Louisiana Bar Journal 253.
- Asbestos Litigation, Andrews Continuing Legal Education program, 2002.
- Daubert in Louisiana, American Chemistry Council, Houston, Texas, 2001.
- Strategies in Jury Selection, DRI Toxic Torts Seminar, San Diego, 2003.
- Cross Examination of Epidemiologist in Benzene Cases, DRI Toxic Torts Seminar, New Orleans, 2005.
- Defending the Executive Officer in Benzene Cases, Harris Martin Benzene Litigation Conference, New Orleans, 2005.
- Board of Trustees, LSU Law Center
- Charter Member, Board of Directors, Past President, Sunrise Rotary Club of Baton Rouge
- Graduate, Greater Baton Rouge Chamber of Commerce Leadership Class of 1995
- President, Battered Women's Shelter
- President, Treasurer, Cancer Services of Greater Baton Rouge
- Chair, Community Fund for the Arts Campaign