Kerry concentrates his practice on tax and corporate matters, including U.S. and international tax planning, corporate and partnership transactions, private equity offerings, restructurings, and mergers and acquisitions. Kerry strives to provide clients creative tax and corporate planning in a responsive and cost-efficient manner. His practice has a reputation for providing sophisticated counseling on U.S. and foreign tax issues and transactional matters, as well as effectively representing clients in tax disputes with governmental authorities.
Kerry represents families and individuals in estate planning designed to preserve, manage and transfer wealth in a manner that is tax-efficient and accomplishes non-tax objectives. He advises individual and corporate fiduciaries in connection with the planning and administration of trusts and estates. He also counsels public and private charities with respect to formation, tax and corporate compliance, and advises individuals and charitable institutions regarding the design of major lifetime and testamentary charitable gifts.
Kerry is licensed to practice before the U.S. Tax Court and federal and Louisiana district courts.
- Representation of transportation and shipping company in the acquisition of a competitor
- Defense of a shipbuilder and operator from IRS tax assessment on corporate earnings
- Representation of oil company in the resolution of a dispute involving working interest owners
- Representation of real estate developers and investors on tax credits and incentive programs
- Acquisition and divestiture of offshore supply vessels and operating assets
- Defense of an oil field service company with respect to claims of breach of warranty in a purchase and sale agreement
- Representation of corporations through trial before the United States Tax Court
- Representation of foreign taxpayers in the acquisition of business and real estate interests in the United States
- Representation of drilling operator in the sale assets structured as a stock sale under IRC §338(h)(10)
- Successful defense of appeal of sales and use tax assessment on intercompany transactions
- Representation of owners, contractors and subcontractors in negotiation of construction agreements and private works act claims
Kerry earned his B.S. in Accounting from the Tulane University, A.B. Freeman School of Business in 1992. He earned his J.D. in 1998 from the Loyola University New Orleans College of Law, and his L.L.M. in Taxation from The University of Florida in 2000.
- Admitted, Louisiana, 1999; Admitted, United States Tax Court, 2000; Admitted United States District Courts of Louisiana, 2001
- Louisiana State (Tax Law Section; Member and Former Secretary-Treasurer of the Arts, Entertainment and Sports Law Section) and American Bar Associations (Taxation Section); Certified Public Accountant (Inactive) – Louisiana; American Institute of Certified Public Accountants; Society of Louisiana Certified Public Accountants; New Orleans Estate Planning Council; Offshore Marine Services Association; Louisiana Board of Tax Appeals (2014-2016)
- Preservation Resource Center
- Alliance for Good Government
- Young Leadership Council
- East Jefferson Business Association
- Krewe of Endymion