Kristi D. ObafunwaAssociate
Kristi Obafunwa is an associate in the Houston office of Kean Miller. She joined the firm in 2014 and practices in the energy and environmental litigation and casualty and mass tort litigation groups. Kristi represents major petrochemical and manufacturing clients, and business in a variety of litigation, employment matters, oil and gas issues, and general business disputes.
Kristi is listed in The Best Lawyers in America as a One to Watch for 2021 and 2022.
- Defense of supermajor oil and gas companies in lawsuits alleging that soil, sediment, groundwater, drinking water, and other types of property damage and environmental contamination were caused by oil and gas exploration and production activities, gas processing operations, and refining operations.
- Representation of companies in lawsuits alleging age, race, disability, gender and military status discrimination, including EEOC and DOL claims
- Representation of firm client for slip and fall personal injury claims
- Representation of judgment debtors in connection with collections on judgments, including domestication of judgments, garnishments, and turnover proceedings
- Representation of major oil and gas companies in oil field legacy cases involving Louisiana’s Act 312 and Louisiana’s usable groundwater remediation statute, as well as claims for alleged breaches of mineral leases, surface leases, and implied obligations under the Louisiana Mineral Code
- Representation of taxpayer in appeal of Louisiana Tax Commission ruling on commercial tax assessment
- Representation of lender in general litigation over credit agreement
- Representation of mid-size companies for claims on open accounts
- Supported the firm’s representation of a major chemical production facility in a personal injury case
- Representation of firm clients by assisting with electronic and large-scale discovery efforts, including the collection, review and analysis, and production of massive amounts of company documents in the litigation context
Kristi earned her B.S. in 1999 and her M.S. in 2005 from Louisiana State University. Prior to attending law school, she worked in enrollment management particularly focusing on undergraduate admissions and recruitment. Kristi earned her J.D./D.C.L., cum laude, in 2014 from the LSU Law Center, where she was named to the Chancellor’s list, received CALI awards in Legal Professions and Legislation Seminar, and was a member of the Moot Court Board. During law school, Kristi also participated on external moot court competition teams and was a judicial extern for Judge Jewel "Duke" Welch at the Louisiana First Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Admitted, Louisiana, 2014; Texas, 2021; United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit; United States District Court for the Eastern, Middle and Western Districts of Louisiana; United States District Court for the Eastern and Southern Districts of Texas
- Louisiana and Texas State and American Bar Associations; Women's Energy Network, Houston Chapter;
- Ashes to Ashes, Dust to Dust, Could Carbon Capture Save the Climate Bust?, Ark-La-Tex Association of Professional Landmen, The Register, May 2021
- Update: Louisiana Court Closures and Updates in Accordance with COVID-19, Louisiana Law Blog, May 21, 2020
- Update: Louisiana Court Closures and Updates in Accordance with COVID-19, Louisiana Law Blog, May 4, 2020
- Update: Louisiana Court Closures and Updates in Accordance with COVID-19, Louisiana Law Blog, April 23, 2020
- Updated: Louisiana Court Closures and Updates in Accordance with COVID-19, Louisiana Law Blog, April 8, 2020
- Louisiana Court Closures and Updates in Accordance with COVID-19, Louisiana Law Blog, April 3, 2020
- Presenter, Updates in Legacy Litigation, LADC Energy and Environmental Practice Group Mini-Seminar, July 2019
- Presenter, Updates in Louisiana Civil Procedure, LCAA 2017 Fall Conference CLE
- Board Member, Women's Energy Network, South Louisiana Chapter, President, 2019; Vice President, 2018; Baton Rouge Special Events Director, 2016 and 2017
- National Membership Director, Women's Energy Network National Board of Directors, 2020
- Committee Member, Baton Rouge Area Chamber Diversity and Inclusion Committee
- Past Member, Taste of Louisiana Committee, 2015 and 2016, Mary Bird Perkins Cancer Center