With more than 160 attorneys, Kean Miller is one of the largest full-service law firms based in Louisiana, and the largest in the Capital Region. From offices in Baton Rouge, New Orleans, Shreveport, Lake Charles, Houston, The Woodlands and Lafayette, we serve the legal needs of the people, businesses, and industries that drive the regional economy.
Kean Miller seeks a self-motivated, ambitious, and well-organized individual to fill a Legal Secretary role.
- Work closely with attorneys and assist with the preparation of court filings and organization of pleadings, memoranda, discovery and other legal and administrative documents.
- Compose correspondence. Perform word processing of drafts, revisions and final documents for client-related matters, including correspondence, including engagement letters, memoranda, bills, timesheets and project work, as needed. This includes proofreading and redlining work for accuracy of content and format.
- Keep appointment calendar (including hearings, court appearances and other commitments) and maintain contacts.
- Coordinate travel and meeting logistics including scheduling, arranging videoconferences, conferences calls, and conference rooms; requesting equipment and food and beverage orders; preparing presentation materials.
- Provide administrative support to attorneys including telephone coverage (if applicable) maintaining attorney’s calendar, deadlines and entering attorney’s daily time entries.
- Organize and maintain electronic files in accordance with Firm records retention policies and physical files as required.
- Schedule depositions and hearings with counsel, clients, and through the respective court’s e-filing system.
- Assist attorneys with cite checking, proofreading and assembly of various filings.
- Open new client/matter client files.
- Review and edit pre-bills in collaboration with designated billing coordinator.
- Maintain attorneys/client virtual files and file indexes according to client/matter numbers, as applicable.
- Coordinate and schedule meetings and other appointments via Outlook and set-up meetings/calls/videoconferences via Microsoft Teams, as applicable.
- Process expense reports and check requests via Aderant.
- Process any packages and mailings in coordination with attorneys and on-site copy services department.
- Other administrative duties as assigned.
- Excellent technology skills including but not limited to Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint, and Outlook) and Adobe Acrobat; must be internet savvy.
- Comfortable with using electronic document management system and remote collaboration tools (Zoom, Skype for Business, WebEx, Microsoft Teams).
- Proficient with legal terminology and standard legal procedures.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, both virtually and in-person.
- High attention to detail and accuracy, excellent time management and organizational skills.
- Ability to anticipate needs and take action without requiring detailed direction in relation to routine responsibilities.
- Ability to maintain the highest level of confidentiality and to engender trust.
- Ability to organize and prioritize numerous tasks and complete them under time constraints.
- Ability to work independently and take initiative in a team environment and to handle and prioritize overlapping and conflicting work assignments.
- Ability to prepare an accurate and highly detailed work product. Excellent editing and proofreading skills required.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality. Adapt to different work environments and project a professional demeanor at all times.
- Ability to perform all tasks with limited supervision and to exercise sound judgment.
- Ability to communicate effectively with attorneys, staff, and clients.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
The role assists attorneys in all aspects of their case and client work with a primary focus on producing accurate work timely and keeping things organized. The successful candidate will provide full secretarial and administrative support for attorneys under minimal supervision. We seek someone who has a can-do, highly organized approach to work. At Kean Miller we seek those who have agility to quickly master new technology, flexibility, problem solvers who are strong communicators with exceptional client service skills.
COVID-19 Precaution(s) and Office Protocol:
- Remote interview process initially
- Personal protection (masks) required or will be provided
- Plastic shield at work stations
- Temperature screenings
- Social distancing guidelines in place
- Virtual meetings
- Regular sanitizing, disinfecting, and cleaning procedures by our on-site Facilities Department
Kean Miller provides its employees with highly competitive salaries and benefits, a great work environment, stability, generous paid-time off, and a 401k plan. Employees are recognized and rewarded for their achievements through annual performance evaluations and salary reviews.
Kean Miller is committed to providing equal employment opportunity to all applicants and employees in full compliance with all state, federal and local laws prohibiting discrimination based upon, race, color, national origin, gender identity, age, genetic information, disability, military or veteran status, religion, sexual orientation, or other status protected by law. This applies to all aspects of employment including recruitment, hiring, promotion, transfer, demotion, discipline and discharge.
Qualified candidates, please email your confidential resume to email@example.com.