Michael Lowe is a partner in the Shreveport office of Kean Miller and practices in the litigation group. Michael represents clients in the areas of labor and employment law, construction litigation and commercial litigation.
His employment practice involves all aspects of labor and employment litigation. Michael represents clients in state and federal courts, as well as before various federal and state agencies, including the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), the U.S. Department of Labor (DOL) and the Louisiana Commission on Human Rights (LCHR). He assists clients in the development of policies and procedures, the drafting and enforcement of employment contracts, including non-competition, confidentiality, and non-solicitation agreements, and the hiring, counseling, discipline and termination of employees. He prepares, litigates and defends non-compete agreements and other restrictive covenants for his clients. Michael assists business owners in Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) access cases, otherwise known as "drive-by" or "Google" lawsuits. He also devotes a substantial amount of his practice to assisting municipalities and government agencies with disputes involving Louisiana’s civil service laws and regulations.
His construction practice involves all aspects of litigation and trial practice. He has also represented clients in the engineer/architect claims process, as well as the alternative dispute resolution process, including arbitration and mediation. Michael has assisted both contractors and owners in the drafting and review of construction contracts, including original documents and industry forms. He also has experience handling the various issues that often arise under Louisiana’s lien laws, including both the Louisiana Public and Private Works Acts. Finally, Michael has represented clients in administrative protests under the public procurement and public bid laws.
Michael is a regular contributor to seminars and publications regarding both labor and employment law and construction law.
Michael is listed in The Best Lawyers in America in the field of construction law and construction litigation for 2019, and is listed by Louisiana Super Lawyers (2012-2016).Education
Michael earned his B.A. from Louisiana State University in 2001. He earned his J.D./B.C.L. from the LSU Law Center in 2004, where he was a member of the Order of the Coif.Admissions
- Admitted, Louisiana, 2004; United States District Court for the Eastern, Middle and Western Districts of Louisiana; United States Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit
- Member, Shreveport, Louisiana State and American Bar Associations; Defense Research Institute (Louisiana State Representative, 2012 - 2014); Louisiana Association of Defense Counsel (Board of Directors, 2010 - 2012)
- ADA Access: "Drive By" or "Google" Lawsuits and the Americans with Disabilities Act?, Louisiana Law Blog, February 3, 2017
- Member, Holy Angels Residential Facility Champions for Children with Disabilities (Chairman, 2013 - 2014)
- Board of Directors, North Louisiana Economic Partnership, 2018