Michael D. LowePartner
Michael Lowe is a partner in the Shreveport office of Kean Miller and practices in the litigation group. Michael represents clients in the areas of labor and employment law, construction litigation and commercial litigation.
His employment practice involves all aspects of labor and employment litigation. Michael represents clients in state and federal courts, as well as before various federal and state agencies, including the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), the U.S. Department of Labor (DOL) and the Louisiana Commission on Human Rights (LCHR). He assists clients in the development of policies and procedures, the drafting and enforcement of employment contracts, including non-competition, confidentiality, and non-solicitation agreements, and the hiring, counseling, discipline and termination of employees. He prepares, litigates and defends non-compete agreements and other restrictive covenants for his clients. Michael assists business owners in Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) access cases, otherwise known as "drive-by" or "Google" lawsuits. He also devotes a substantial amount of his practice to assisting municipalities and government agencies with disputes involving Louisiana’s civil service laws and regulations.
His construction practice involves all aspects of litigation and trial practice. He has also represented clients in the engineer/architect claims process, as well as the alternative dispute resolution process, including arbitration and mediation. Michael has assisted both contractors and owners in the drafting and review of construction contracts, including original documents and industry forms. He also has experience handling the various issues that often arise under Louisiana’s lien laws, including both the Louisiana Public and Private Works Acts. Finally, Michael has represented clients in administrative protests under the public procurement and public bid laws.
Michael is a regular contributor to seminars and publications regarding both labor and employment law and construction law.
Michael is listed in The Best Lawyers in America in the field of construction law and construction litigation, 2013-2023, and is listed by Louisiana Super Lawyers, 2012-2016.
Michael earned his B.A. from Louisiana State University in 2001. He earned his J.D./B.C.L. from the LSU Law Center in 2004, where he was a member of the Order of the Coif.
- Admitted, Louisiana, 2004; United States District Court for the Eastern, Middle and Western Districts of Louisiana; United States Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit
- Member, Shreveport, Louisiana State and American Bar Associations; Defense Research Institute (Louisiana State Representative, 2012 - 2014); Louisiana Association of Defense Counsel (Board of Directors, 2010 - 2012)
- New Phasing Plan Requirements from LA State Fire Marshal, Louisiana Law Blog, May 15, 2020
- Return to Work, Are You Ready?, Louisiana Law Blog, April 26, 2020
- New CDC Guidance About Essential Employees Exposed to COVID-19, Louisiana Law Blog, April 9, 2020
- DOL Rolls Out Leave Act Regulations and Changes Course on Some Issues, Louisiana Law Blog, April 2, 2020
- DOL Issues Third Set of Leave FAQs, Louisiana Law Blog, March 30, 2020
- DOL Issues Additional Leave FAQs, Louisiana Law Blog, March 27, 2020
- Families First Coronavirus Response Act: The Model Notices Are Here, Louisiana Law Blog, March 26, 2020
- Leave Act Takes Effect April 1 and Other New DOL Guidance, Louisiana Law Blog, March 25, 2020
- Co-Presenter, Protecting Your Business & Employees From the Impact of COVID-19, Kean Miller Webinar, March 19, 2020
- Updated Guidance from the EEOC: "What You Should Know About the ADA, the Rehabilitation Act, and COVID-19", Louisiana Law Blog, March 20, 2020
- Coronavirus Leave Bill Signed Into Law, Louisiana Law Blog, March 19, 2020
- COBRA and Coronavirus, Louisiana Law Blog, March 18, 2020
- Coronavirus Paid Leave Bill Still in House, Louisiana Law Blog, March 16, 2020
- Coronavirus Paid Leave Bill Passes House, Louisiana Law Blog, March 14, 2020
- Congress Responds to the Coronavirus, Louisiana Law Blog, March 13, 2020
- ADA Access: "Drive By" or "Google" Lawsuits and the Americans with Disabilities Act?, Louisiana Law Blog, February 3, 2017
- Member, Holy Angels Residential Facility Champions for Children with Disabilities (Chairman, 2013 - 2014)
- Board of Directors, North Louisiana Economic Partnership, 2018