Royce Lanning is senior counsel in The Woodlands office of Kean Miller. Royce’s practice focuses primarily on oil and gas transactions, mergers and acquisitions, business formation and corporate advice, real estate development and financing, estate planning, probate, and commercial litigation.
Royce assists corporate clients with energy-related transactions, mergers & acquisitions, and joint ventures, including upstream acquisitions and divestitures, asset and equity purchase/sale agreements, services agreements, real estate purchase sale agreements, confidentiality/non-disclosure agreements, commercial leases, executive employment agreement, and non-compete agreements. He works with his clients on matters ranging from simple sole owner startup entities to corporate deals with aggregate transaction values in excess of $30,000,000 and oil and gas transactions in the hundreds of millions. Royce has assisted clients through various stages of their deals including working with clients to secure bank financing in excess of $25,000,000 or restructure existing debt/equity agreements during a downturn or otherwise required.
Having begun his career as a litigator, Royce is able to provide comprehensive guidance to his clients and assist in all stages of a deal, including representing his clients in litigation to make sure they get the benefit of the deal they have negotiated. Royce has served as lead counsel and successfully represented his clients in a wide variety of commercial disputes, including oil & gas litigation, business divorces, land use and real estate litigation, commercial landlord/tenant litigation, and commercial debt collection.
Royce also has extensive experience assisting clients and business owners with sophisticated business succession, estate planning, and probate strategies in Texas. He drafts wills, trusts, and other wealth preservation tools for clients designed to comply with and leverage federal taxation laws to make sure the value that his clients have built in life is protected for their heirs.
Royce earned his B.S. from Evangel University. He earned his J.D. from the University of Hawaii, William S Richardson School of Law in 2003.
- Admitted, Texas; Hawaii; United States District Court for the Southern, Eastern, Northern and Western Districts of Texas
- The Woodlands Bar Association; Montgomery County Bar Association; The Woodlands Area Chamber of Commerce; Leadership Montgomery County Alumni Association
Articles, Publications and Presentations
- Uncertainties Created by Tax and Accounting Issues Raised by the Paycheck Protection Program in the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act, Louisiana Law Blog, April 2, 2020
- Co-Presenter, Putting the CARES Act to Work for Your Business, Kean Miller Webinar, April 2, 2020
- Tax Related Employment and Employee Benefits Changes in the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act, Louisiana Law Blog, April 1, 2020
- Tax and Accounting Implications of the $2 Trillion Stimulus to Assist Individuals and Businesses Impacted by the Novel Coronavirus Pandemic, Louisiana Law Blog, March 27, 2020
- 7 Triggers to Review of your Estate Plan, Texas Law Blog, July 22, 2019
- No Kids Does Not Mean You Don't Need an Estate Plan, Texas Law Blog, July 15, 2019