Pamela R. MascariPartner
Pam Mascari is a partner in the Baton Rouge office of Kean Miller. She is a litigator and a regulatory attorney. Pam joined the firm in 1997. Her litigation practice focuses on complex litigation, primarily in the oil and gas, pipeline, energy and environmental areas. Pam has extensive experience in the Louisiana energy, petrochemical and manufacturing industry and advises clients with regard to litigation strategy and management in Louisiana courts. Pam also has extensive experience handling complex litigation in multi-district litigation proceedings in federal district courts outside of Louisiana.
Pam's regulatory practice includes representing clients before the Louisiana Office of Conservation in intrastate pipeline and oil and gas matters. Her regulatory practice also includes advising industrial clients in connection with water issues, solid waste issues, USTs, wetlands, release reporting, incident response, and environmental permitting and enforcement.
Pam has been listed in Louisiana Super Lawyers from 2011-2023 and from 2022-2023 was included on the Top 25 Women in Louisiana and Top 50 Attorneys in Louisiana lists. She is AV-rated by Martindale-Hubbell and is listed in Chambers USA in 2020, 2021, and 2022 in the area of environmental law.
Pam serves on the Advisory Council of the Mineral Law Institute at the LSU Law Center and has been appointed to the Mineral Law Committee of the Louisiana State Law Institute since 2018.
- Representation at jury trials of major oil companies related to claims of alleged environmental property damage from exploration and production activities (legacy lawsuits) resulting in favorable defense verdicts
- Representation of major oil companies in connection with claims of environmental property damage related to exploration and production activities
- Representation of major oil company in connection with claims of coastal erosion or land loss
- Representation of pipeline companies in connection with claims of environmental damage and damage to coastal zone properties
- Representation of pharmaceutical company in federal multi-district litigation involving allegations of injury resulting form ingestion of phenylpropanolamine (PPA), an ingredient in appetite suppressants and decongestant products
- Representation of international cropscience company in jury trials in federal multi-district litigation (MDL) proceeding involving genetically engineered crops
- Representation of municipal utility company in expropriation (condemnation) trial against private utility.
- Representation of pipeline company in mass tort suit involving alleged exposure to asbestos-containing materials resulting in dismissal of plaintiffs' claims
- Representation of intrastate pipeline companies in proceedings before the Louisiana Office of Conservation regarding construction and operation permits, interconnection agreements, transportation agreements, and abandonments of facilities
- Representation of chemical company regarding litigation involving issues related to underground storage in depleted salt caverns
- Representation of industrial clients in LDEQ enforcement proceedings and release reporting
- Litigation, mediation and settlement of multiple wrongful death suits for large petrochemical and manufacturing defendants
- Representation of the energy industry in expropriation (condemnation) actions
Pam earned her B.S., magna cum laude, from Tulane University Freeman School of Business in 1994. She earned her J.D. in 1997 from the LSU Law Center where she was a member of the Order of the Coif, the LSU Law Center Hall of Fame and the Louisiana Law Review.
- Admitted, Louisiana, 1997
- Baton Rouge, Louisiana State, American, and Federal ( Past President, Middle District of Louisiana Chapter) Bar Associations; Women's Energy Network, Southeast Louisiana Chapter (Program Chair, 2009-2010; Secretary, 2011-2012; Vice-Chairwoman, 2013; President, 2014)
- Emergency Use Authorizations for Coastal Use and Dredge/Fill Permits to Address Impact on Hurricane Ida, Louisiana Law Blog, August 31, 2021
- Presenter, “Release Reporting” AWMA Louisiana Section Webinar, September 1, 2020
- Louisiana Special Hurricane Reporting Requirements for Hazardous Materials, Louisiana Law Blog, August 25, 2020
- New Clean Water Act Section 401 Certification Rule Released; Limited Impacts to LDEQ Certification Process, Louisiana Law Blog, July 17, 2020
- Louisiana Department of Environmental Quality Issues COVID-19 Order, Louisiana Law Blog, March 19, 2020
- U.S. Third Circuit Rules Pipeline Company's Eminent Domain Rights Under Natural Gas Act Limited by Sovereign Immunity, Louisiana Law Blog, September 26, 2019
- Moderator, State of the Industry panel discussion, Women's Energy Network - South Louisiana Dinner and Auction, November 2016
- Panelist, Women Leaders in Environmental & Energy Law,, American Conference Institute, November 9-10, 2015
- Moderator, How to Be a Successful Woman in Energy: Lessons Learned, Women's Energy Network (Southeast Louisiana) Dinner and Charity Auction, November 6, 2014
- Presenter, Current Issues in Legacy Litigation, Louisiana State Bar Association, Environmental Law Section Seminar, November 1, 2013
- Corbello, The Aftermath, 51st Louisiana Mineral Law Institute, April 2, 2004
- Awardable Damages in Environmental / Toxic Tort Cases, Louisiana State Bar Association, 4th Annual Class Action/Mass Tort Symposium, October 24, 2003
- Awardable Damages in Environmental/Toxic Tort Cases, Advanced Environmental & Toxic Tort Issues, LSU Law Center, May 17, 2002
- Presentation on Ethics, Who Wants to Be a Successful Attorney?, Louisiana Association of Defense Counsel Seminar, August 9, 2002
- Board of Directors, Alzheimer's Services of the Capital Area
- Board of Directors, Women's Energy Network Foundation
- Past President, Sacred Heart of Jesus School Advisory Board
- Board of Directors, Louisiana Art and Science Museum
- Member, Leadership Baton Rouge, Class of 2014
- Member, Volunteer Panel, Baton Rouge Bar Association
- Participant, Pro Bono Project, Baton Rouge Bar Association
- Board of Trustees, Cabrini High School, New Orleans
- Lector and Food Pantry Volunteer, Sacred Heart of Jesus Catholic Church, Baton Rouge
- Volunteer Basketball Coach, Sacred Heart of Jesus School, Baton Rouge
- Volunteer Coach, Louisiana State Bar Association Mock Trial Competition, St. Joseph's Academy, Baton Rouge
- Past Member, Mock Trial Competition Committee, Louisiana State Bar Association
- Firm Captain, Paul M. Hebert Law Center Annual Giving Campaign