Brian J. LindseyAssociate
Brian Lindsey is an associate in the Lafayette office of Kean Miller. He joined the firm in 2019 and practices with the offshore energy and maritime practice group. Brian’s practice primarily focuses on civil defense litigation for industrial, transportation, energy, and maritime companies in their direct defense and often also prosecuting the related litigation that stems from complex accidents involving multiple parties, contracts containing defense and indemnity agreements, and insurance coverage disputes. He has considerable experience in a wide variety of admiralty issues, including the Jones Act, personal injury defense, property damage, ship collisions and allisions, contract disputes, and other matters.
Brian has been practicing law in Lafayette since 2014. He is recognized as a 2018 – 2023 Rising Star by Louisiana Super Lawyers and Thomson Reuters. He is listed in The Best Lawyers in America as a One to Watch (Transportation Law) for 2023. He was named a 2018 and 2023 Top Lawyer by Acadiana Profile.
While in law school, Brian was an extern for the Hon. Sarah S. Vance, U.S. District Judge for the Eastern District of Louisiana. Prior to practicing law, Brian was an insurance adjuster with a large institutional insurer where he handled national accounts and catastrophic losses. His also worked for a smaller third-party administrator handling claims brought against a large self-insured OCIP construction project on the Mississippi Gulf Coast. Brian utilizes his prior experience with investigating, evaluating, and defending claims from the initial loss notice through the signing of the final dismissal to his clients’ benefit.
- Representation of a petrochemical plant company in personal injury suit resulting in a dismissal on summary judgment under the statutory employer defense
- Representation of a global energy company in complex contract and personal injury litigation related to an injury on board a vessel to the employee of a third-party contractor
- Representation of various energy services companies and insurers in lawsuits involving the Jones Act, the Longshore and Harbor Worker’s Compensation Act, General Maritime Law, and Louisiana state law
- LSU Law Center, J.D./D.C.L., magna cum laude, 2014
- University of Louisiana at Lafayette, B.S., 2004
- Admitted, Louisiana; Louisiana Supreme Court; United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit; United States District Court for the Eastern, Middle and Western Districts of Louisiana
- Louisiana Appellate Court Confirms Waiver of Coverage Defenses by Insurer, Louisiana Law Blog, November 10, 2021
- Rising Star, Louisiana Super Lawyers, 2018 – 2021, 2023
- Super Lawyers, Louisiana Super Lawyers, 2022
- Ones to Watch, The Best Lawyers in America, 2023
- Top Lawyer, Acadiana Profile, 2018, 2023