Alan J. BerteauPartner
Alan Berteau is a partner in the Baton Rouge office of Kean Miller. He joined the firm in 1995 and practices in the legacy and commercial litigation defense groups. He represents clients in complex and class action litigation matters involving damage claims relating to oil and gas exploration and production operations, commercial disputes, chemical exposure claims, and industrial accidents.
Alan has particular experience representing clients in class action and mass tort cases involving, long-term exposure and groundwater or soil contamination, air releases, and in the use of computer technology, including mapping and litigation support software, in the management and prosecution of class action and other document-intensive litigation. He advises clients on electronic discovery, e-discovery compliance, electronically stored information (ESI), electronic information management, and retention and destructive policies and procedures.
Alan is AV-rated by Martindale-Hubbell.
- Defense of legacy and toxic tort lawsuits since 1995
- Defense of a major industrial facility in a series of class action lawsuits by over 15,000 individuals resulting from air emissions
- Defense of a major industrial facility in a series of class actions and mass tort actions relating to long-term emissions and permitted emissions
- Defense of petroleum exploration and production companies in class action lawsuits relating to soil and groundwater contamination, damage to leased property through long-term production activities, and damage to wetlands, including loss of soil through erosion
- Defense of petroleum exploration and production companies in NORM-related class action litigation
- Defense of wood processing plant in class action lawsuit relating to long-term emissions
- Defense of clients in class action commercial litigation
Alan earned his B.A., summa cum laude, from Southeastern Louisiana University in 1976. He earned his J.D. from the LSU Law Center in 1986.
- Admitted, Louisiana, 1987
- Baton Rouge, Louisiana State and American Bar Associations
- Federal Declaration of Disaster Does Not Suspend Payment of Mortgage, Rent, Car Payments, Student Loans, and Open Accounts, Louisiana Law Blog, August 19, 2016
- Board Member, Baton Rouge Crisis Center
- Former Board President, Baton Rouge Crisis Center
- Past Volunteer, Junior Achievement Teaching Program, Glen Oaks Middle School
- Volunteer Judge, high school Mock Trial Competitions
- Volunteer, LSU Moot Court competitions
- With his band, provides free entertainment for various local non-profit organizations and charitable causes, including the Alzheimer Foundation's annual Walk/Run event, Take Back the Night (raising awareness of domestic violence), Belly Up With the Bar (raising funds for Baton Rouge Bar Association Youth Education programs)