Erich Rapp is a partner in the Baton Rouge office of Kean Miller. He joined the firm in 1987 and has extensive experience in Louisiana's petrochemical, energy, and chemical industries. His practice includes both litigation and transactional expertise, including commercial litigation, litigation strategy and management, and contract negotiations with emphasis on construction and technology issues. He has also represented clients in regard to state and local tax and government incentives issues. Further, he has handled occupational exposure and environmental litigation and dispute management.
Additionally, Erich has expertise in the defense of large national and multinational industrial clients in cases involving construction, human exposure to hazardous chemicals and in cases involving large scale environmental contamination. Erich also has expertise in making environmental claims against the federal government. He has extensive experience in litigation involving vinyl chloride, benzene, asbestos and ethylene dichloride.
Erich also represents clients in complex, document intensive, commercial and industrial espionage situations, including depositions, trial testimony, investigator conduct issues, and other highly confidential corporate matters.
As a matter of legal public service, Erich is an expert in and a long time advocate of the restoration of Louisiana's coastal wetlands. Erich is also a founder of the Louisiana Internet Software and Technology Association (LISTA), which is a trade association providing public policy and government affairs assistance and also assistance with state and local business incentives to member companies. See www.listainc.org. Erich was named one of the 2011 Silicon Bayou 100. Members of this group are nominated and selected for their efforts in growing companies, supporting companies, and being ambassadors for Louisiana's digital media efforts.
Erich earned his B.S. from Louisiana State University in 1984. He earned his J.D. from the LSU Law Center in 1987.
- Admitted, Louisiana,1987; Texas, 1994
- Baton Rouge, Louisiana State and American Bar Associations
Articles, Publications and Presentations
- President, Baton Rouge Symphony Young Patrons Organization
- Judge, LSU Law Center Moot Court Competition
- Member, Board of Directors, Treasurer, Pro Bono Attorney, The Foundation for Historical Louisiana
- Member, Board of Directors, Baton Rouge Gallery
- Baton Rouge Business Report's "40 Under 40," 2000
- TEXACO, Inc., et al., Appellant-Appellee, v. Walter Foreman, Appelle-Appellant, (La. App. 3 Cir 4/2/97), 692 So.2d 684 (No. 96-1434).
- State of Louisiana, ex rel. William J. Guste, Jr., Attorney General v. Douglas D. "Doug" Green, Commissioner of Insurance, (La. App. 1 Cir. 6/23/95), 657 So.2d 610 (No. 94 CA 1138).
- Dorain B. Alexander v. Associated Grocers, Inc. and Helmsman Management Services, Inc., (La.App. 1 Cir. 3/3/95), 652 So.2d 603, (NO. 94 CA 0800).
- Stephen P. Mumblow, v. Monroe Broadcasting, Inc., 401 F.3d 616, (NO. 03-31013), February 28, 2005.
- United Stated Fidelity & Guaranty Co., et al. v. Fox McKeithen, etc., et al., 226 F.3d 412, (NO. 99-30475), September 15, 2000.
- Damon Thomas, et al. v. CF Industries, Inc., 750 F.Supp.736, (Civ. A. 89-370-B), October 31, 1990.
- United State Fidelity and Guaranty Company, et al. v. W. Fox McKeithen, et al. 39 F.Supp.2d 747, (NO. Civ. A. 96-385-A.), March 5, 1999.