James R. SilversteinOf Counsel
Jim Silverstein joined the firm in 2012 and practices in the admiralty and maritime, products liability, energy, construction and environmental sections.
Jim has extensive litigation experience, and has successfully defended clients in cases involving various aspects of maritime, admiralty, energy, and oil and gas law. He also maintains an active practice successfully defending manufacturers in product liability cases. He has defended cases involving numerous products, including ladders, electrical motors, fans, table saws, radial arm saws, planers, power tools, cranes and pumps. He has also successfully defended and prosecuted cases in the commercial litigation field.
Jim is an accomplished trial lawyer and is listed in Louisiana Super Lawyers, 2010-2020 and The Best Lawyers in America, 2012-2021. He is a Fellow in the American College of Trial Lawyers (ACTL). He is AV-rated by Martindale-Hubbell. Jim has been recognized by New Orleans Magazine as a Top Lawyer for 2020.
Jim has tried in excess of 65 cases to a conclusion, obtaining defense verdicts in Alabama, Florida, Louisiana, Mississippi, Tennessee and Texas.
- Representation of shipowners, platform owners and oil service companies in cases arising under the Jones Act, general maritime law and OCSLA. Jim has obtained defense verdicts in Calcasieu, East Baton Rouge, Jefferson, Lafayette, Orleans, St. Bernard, St. James, St. Mary, St. Tammany and Terrebonne Parishes; and in the United States District Court for the Eastern and Western Districts of Louisiana. This includes a recent trial in the Eastern District of Louisiana in which the jury found in favor of the defendant-exploration and production company after a 5 day jury trial.
- Representation of product manufacturers in cases filed in the Gulf Coast region. This includes the representation of an electric motor manufacturer in a products liability case involving a barn fire in which 27 thoroughbred race horses were lost. A jury in Southeast Louisiana returned a defense verdict after a 3 week trial.
- Representation of a ladder company in Mississippi in a recent products liability case. The jury exonerated the ladder company and returned a defense verdict after a four day trial.
- Representation of contractors in cases alleging negligent design and construction of apartment and office buildings. This includes a trial in which a local jury returned a verdict in favor of the defendant-contractor.
- Representation of chemical and oil companies in defense of suits alleging environmental contamination and personal injuries.
Jim earned his B.A., cum laude, from Tulane University in 1977. He earned his J.D, cum laude, in 1981 from the Tulane University Law School.
- Admitted, Louisiana, 1981; Texas, 1991; Admitted to practice before all United States Courts in Louisiana and Texas; United States Supreme Court; United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth and Eleventh Circuits
- Admitted pro hac vice in Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Mississippi, North Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia and West Virginia
- Louisiana, Texas and American Bar Associations; Defense Research Institute; American College of Trial Lawyers