John C. FunderburkPartner
John Funderburk is a partner in the Baton Rouge office of Kean Miller and practices in the litigation and construction groups. He represents clients in energy, commercial, environmental, transportation, and construction litigation in both state and federal courts. Prior to joining the firm, John practiced with a global law firm from its Houston, Texas office.
John has represented both individuals and corporations in complex environmental litigation, contract disputes, maritime actions, personal injury and wrongful death lawsuits, deceptive trade practices claims, and oilfield contamination litigation. In addition, he coordinates with clients and experts to respond quickly to accidents and incidents across the country, helping clients preserve and quickly assess relevant evidence. He has represented clients across a broad range of industries, including energy, shipping, technology, and manufacturing.
John is listed in Louisiana Super Lawyers as a Rising Star for 2015-2016.
- Representation of a natural gas pipeline company in connection with an explosion and fire in Terrebonne Parish, Louisiana, and in the resulting personal injury and wrongful death litigation proceedings in Louisiana and Harris County, Texas
- Representation of an international oilfield services company in the multidistrict litigation involving the Deepwater Horizon oil spill, including all phases of pretrial and trial practice
- Representation of a major oil and gas company in legacy oil field site contamination lawsuits involving alleged soil and sediment contamination, alleged shallow groundwater contamination, and alleged drinking water aquifer impacts
- Representation of an international shipping company in multiple wrongful death and personal injury cases in several states
- Representation of a drilling and mining equipment manufacturer in numerous personal injury and wrongful death cases in Texas state courts
- Representation of an international oilfield supply company in a breach of contract action in federal court involving allegations of total failure of a gas well
- Representation of a major medical device manufacturer and distributor in a tortious interference suit involving allegations of libel, slander, and collusion to artificially set the market price for products
- Representation of the owner of a domestic gas processing system fabricator in contract disputes with foreign governments regarding the construction of natural gas processing facilities
- Representation of a leading crane manufacturer and distributor in several contract disputes in multiple states
John earned his B.A. from Spring Hill College in 1999. He earned his J.D./B.C.L. from the LSU Law Center in 2005, where he was a member of the Louisiana Law Review.
- Admitted, Texas, 2005; Louisiana, 2014; United States District Courts for the Northern and Southern Districts of Texas; United States District Court for the Western District of Michigan; United States District Courts for the Eastern and Middle Districts of Louisiana
- Louisiana State, Houston and American Bar Associations; Houston Young Lawyers Association
- Ten Steps to Prevent and Prepare for Wildfires in Oil and Gas Operations, Association of Corporate Counsel, November 30, 2023
- Member, Advisory Board, Lighthouse Louisiana