Lauren Rucinski is an associate in the Baton Rouge office of Kean Miller. She joined the firm in 2016 and practices in the environmental law and intellectual property group.
Lauren helps clients understand which environmental regulations apply to new facilities and processes. Her practice focuses on permitting, compliance, litigation and transactional issues, as well as rulemaking efforts at both the state and federal level. She advises a wide range of clients including petrochemical facilities, oil refineries, natural gas terminals, glass manufacturers, and commodity processing plants.
Lauren helps clients protect and maximize the value of their businesses' intellectual property by advising them on all aspects of patent, trade secret, copyright, trademark, and unfair competition law. She is a registered Patent Attorney who concentrated her practice on patent prosecution, opinions, licensing and counseling services. Her work spans a wide range of technical areas, including mechanical inventions, computer software, construction materials, and compositions of matter.
Lauren combines her legal experience with her background in Aerospace Engineering and Ocean Engineering to further the Intellectual Property interests of her clients. She is licensed to practice before the United States Patent and Trademark Office.
- Representation of an international oilfield services provider in defense of allegations of patent infringement, trade secret misappropriation, and various business torts
- Representation of a chemical and plastic products company in regards to their compliance with Louisiana state and U.S. Environmental Protection Agency regulations
- Management of a Louisiana University's patent portfolio, including prosecution, maintenance, and USPTO Examiner negotiations
Lauren earned her B.S. in Aerospace Engineering and Ocean Engineering with a minor in Green Engineering from Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University in 2013. She earned her J.D./D.C.L., magna cum laude, from the LSU Law Center in 2016, where she was a member of the Order of the Coif, the Louisiana Law Review, and the Civil Mediation Clinic. Lauren also served as the President of the Public Interest Law Society and received the Louisiana State Bar Association's 2016 Law Student Pro Bono Award.
- Admitted, Louisiana, 2016; United States Federal Court for the Eastern, Western and Middle Districts of Louisiana; United States Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals; United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit; United States Patent and Trademark Office
- Baton Rouge Bar Association (Young Lawyers Section Council Member, 2019; Law Day Co-Chair, 2020, 2019; Committee, 2018); Louisiana Air & Waste Management Association (Secretary 2020-2022; Newsletter Committee, 2019)
- Bookings.com: Supreme Court Rejects Bright-Line Rule on Generic Terms, Louisiana Law Blog, July 9, 2020
- Sellers and Distributors of Disinfectants Beware: The Virus Causing COVID-19 Is a "Pest" Under FIFRA, Louisiana Law Blog, May 7, 2020
- U.S. Dept. of Health and Human Services Makes it Illegal to Hoard Certain PPE, Ventilators and Sanitizing/Disinfecting Products, Louisiana Law Blog, March 30, 2020
- Louisiana Department of Environmental Quality Issues COVID-19 Order, Louisiana Law Blog, March 19, 2020
- Chemical Safety Board's New Release Reporting Rules in Effect March 2020, Louisiana Law Blog, March 11, 2020
- The New Wave, EPA and ACE Release the Proposed Definition of "Waters of the United States", Louisiana Law Blog, December 18, 2018
- Pipeline Permitting and Litigation Roundup, Kean Miller Environmental CLE, Houston, Texas, September 14, 2018
- Much Ado About Patents, Baton Rouge Lawyer Magazine, June 2018
- How to Avoid Losing Your Rights to the "Work for Hire Doctrine", New Orleans Canvas Magazine, January 1, 2018
- Net Neutrality Repealed: What it Means for Business, Louisiana Law Blog, December 15, 2017
- EPA Approves Emergency Fuel Waiver for Areas in Louisiana in Response to Hurricane Harvey, Louisiana Law Blog, August 30, 2017
- Offensive Trademarks and Protected Under the First Amendment, IntellectualProperty.Law, June 23, 2017
- Supreme Court Restricts Patent Infringement Venue, Upsets Eastern District of Texas "Rocket Docket", IntellectualProperty.law, June 13, 2017
- A Plethora of Cases Could Affect WOTUS Rulemaking, Louisiana Law Blog, June 1, 2017
- Federal Circuit Clarifies, Bolsters On-Sale Bar, Louisiana Law Blog, May 23, 2017
- Silicone Facility to Pay $1.5M in Fines for Monitoring and Reporting Violations, Louisiana Law Blog, May 16, 2017
- Supreme Court Reverses and Remands on Award of $399 Million to Apple, Intellectual Property Law Blog, December 7, 2016
- Putting the House Back Together Again: The Scope of Copyright Protection for Architectural Works, 76 La. L. Rev. (2015)
- Board Member, Public & Industry Relations Director: Lafayette & Baton Rouge, Women's Energy Network South Louisiana Chapter, 2019
- Board of Trustees, Boys & Girls Club of Greater Baton Rouge, 2020
- Board Member, We Produce Grads, 2018-2020