Richard McConnell is a partner in the Baton Rouge office of Kean Miller and practices in the litigation group. He represents local, national, and international clients in cases involving a wide variety of substantive areas such as oil and gas litigation, environmental litigation, toxic tort litigation, wetlands loss litigation, pipeline litigation, and commercial litigation. Recently, he has served as appellate counsel on legal issues involving the termination of mineral leases for failing to produce in paying quantities. He has also served as appellate counsel for financial institutions involving interests held in mineral leases to secure loans to oil and gas companies.
- Representation of oil and gas companies in lawsuits involving soil and ground water impacts related to historical oil and gas operations
- Representation of chemical companies in lawsuits involving personal injuries resulting from releases
- Representation of individuals and businesses in contract disputes
- Representation of pipeline companies in right-of-way disputes
- Representation of pipeline companies in lawsuits involving soil and ground water contamination claims
- Representation of pipeline companies before the Louisiana Department of Natural Resources
- Representation of oil and gas companies in lawsuits seeking the termination of mineral leases on paying in producing quantities analysis; lawsuits involving assets assigned under mineral leases; and landowner royalty disputes
- Representation of financial institutions in lawsuits seeking to hold them responsible for actions of depositors
- Representation of financial institutions in matters involving their security interests in mineral leases obtained to secure loans to oil and gas companies
- Successful defense verdict in jury trial involving a wrongful death claim
- Appellate counsel for energy companies and financial institutions
Richard earned his B.S. in Biochemistry from Louisiana State University in 2000. He earned his J.D., cum laude, in 2005 from Tulane University Law School where he was articles editor for the Tulane Law Review.
- Admitted, Louisiana, 2005; United States District Court for the Eastern, Middle and Western Districts of Louisiana, 2006; United States Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit, 2006
- Baton Rouge, Louisiana State and American Bar Associations; Louisiana Oil & Gas Association
Articles, Publications and Presentations
- "Reliability Is the Gauge: Recent Daubert Challenges to Experts in Environmental Litigation", Natural Resources & Environment, Vol. 22, No. 4, Spring 2008.
- Board of Directors, Baton Rouge Christian Counseling Center
- Deacon, First Presbyterian Church