Bradley J. SchlottererPartner
Brad Schlotterer is a partner in the New Orleans office of Kean Miller. He practices in the admiralty and maritime, and energy law practice groups. Brad has extensive experience in a wide variety of litigation involving the energy, pipeline, shipping, maritime and hospitality industries. He successfully argued a widely noted case In re Bourbon Saloon, Inc. before the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals challenging the bankruptcy court's authority to approve a debtor's assumption of a lease.
Following law school, he served as a federal judicial clerk for the Eastern District of Louisiana (New Orleans). He is AV-rated by Martindale-Hubbell.
Brad was selected by New Orleans CityBusiness as a 2010 Leadership in Law Award recipient and was recognized by the New Orleans Magazine as one of the top attorneys in New Orleans for Energy and Marine. He is also listed in Louisiana Super Lawyers, 2014-2022, and was selected by ALM and Martindale Hubbell as a 2019 Elite Lawyer of the South.
- Representation of clients involving contract and lease disputes in bankruptcy proceedings.
- Representation of various oil companies in litigation and governmental proceedings resulting from pipelines being ruptured by vessels, including all issues surrounding multi-million dollar oil spill clean-ups
- Representation of an energy company’s insurer in litigation and governmental proceedings resulting from destruction of a platform that was struck by a vessel, including issues surrounding a $25,000,000 oil spill clean-up
- Representation of professional athletes in securities and other financial claims regarding investment advice and activities
- Representation of an oil company in a dispute with a co-venturer over a multi-million dollar contract involving a drilling project on the North Slope of Alaska
- Representation of an energy company in a complex dispute over salvage operations
- Representation of various oil companies and drilling companies in litigation involving disputes over contracts with service companies and oil companies, including Master Service Agreements
- Drafting of Master Service Agreements and drilling contracts for various drilling companies and oil companies
- Representation of clients in matters involving alleged damages to oyster beds and leases
- Representation of various energy companies in well blow-outs and all claims arising from significant catastrophes, which involve contract disputes, personal injury and death claims, environmental issues, and large property damage claims
- Representation of various oil companies in claims involving OPA 90 regulations and governmental investigations
- Representation of numerous marine and energy companies involving significant catastrophes resulting from a rupture of pipelines and explosions
- Representation of contractors and government entities in matters involving statutory immunity as a result of actions taken after Hurricanes Katrina and Rita
- Representation of numerous marine and energy companies in litigation in Texas federal courts
- Representation of numerous marine and energy companies in U.S. Coast Guard and OSHA investigations and hearings
- Representation of various drilling companies and oil companies in lawsuits filed by offshore workers based on the Jones Act, General Maritime Law, Louisiana and Texas state law and the Longshore and Harbor Workers’ Compensation Act (LHWCA)
- Representation of commercial diving companies servicing the maritime and oil & gas industries in defense of personal injury and death claims
- Representation of national transportation company in a public bid dispute with the City of New Orleans and the Armstrong International Airport
- Representation of shipbuilding clients in class action lawsuits filed by former employees alleging asbestos exposure and Jones Act issues
- Representation of Levee Boards in a class action lawsuit filed by pleasure craft owners seeking compensation for damages caused by Hurricane Katrina
- Representation of various drilling companies and energy companies in EEOC claims filed by employees for sexual harassment, racial and sexual discrimination
- Representation of shipyards in claims involving Social Security fraud filed by immigrant workers
- Representation of a Fortune 500 Company in dispute regarding docking of its vessels
- Appointed Special Assistant Attorney General by the Louisiana Attorney General to represent the State of Louisiana and the Board of Supervisors in lawsuits filed against Louisiana State Colleges by professors claiming racial and sexual discrimination
- Representation of the Louisiana State Police in lawsuits filed by its Director claiming sexual and racial discrimination
- Representation of the Louisiana State Police in lawsuits filed against it by citizens for wrongful arrest and automobile accidents
- Representation of a New Orleans wine merchant in dispute over copyright and franchise issues
- Representation of a New Orleans restaurant and cooking school regarding franchise issues
- Representation of the owner of gas service stations in corporate negotiation and stock sale
Brad earned his B.S. in Finance from Louisiana State University in 1991. He earned his J.D. from the LSU Law Center in 1995.
- Admitted, Louisiana, 1995; United States District Courts for the Eastern, Middle and Western Districts of Louisiana; United States District Courts for the Southern District of Texas; United States Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit
- New Orleans (Energy Litigation Section), Louisiana State (Natural Resources and Energy Section), American and Federal (Energy Section) Bar Associations; John M. Duhe, Jr. American Inn of Court (Charter Member 1997-1999)
- Procedures for Pooling and Unitization, Louisiana Mineral Law Services (1995), Vol. 15, No. 4.
- Volunteer, Rebuilding Together New Orleans, 2008
- LSU Law Center, Board of Trustees, 2005-2009
- Judge, Teen Court for Juvenile Offenders, 1996-1999
- Sustaining Member, New Orleans Museum of Art, 2005-2008
- Judge, National Trial Advocacy Competition, 2006
- Judge, Tulane Moot Court Competition, 2004
- Volunteer, Loaves & Fishes Project to feed workers in Hurricane ravaged areas of New Orleans, 2007
- Volunteer, Multiple Sclerosis Bike Ride Staff, 2007