Oil, Gas and Pipelines
Some of the world’s largest oil, gas and pipeline companies put their trust in Kean Miller LLP as Louisiana counsel. Our oil and gas regulatory practice involves working with the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission; the Bureau of Ocean Energy Management, Regulation, and Enforcement (BOEMRE, formerly MMS); the US Army Corps of Engineers; the Louisiana Department of Natural Resources, Office of Pipeline Safety, Office of Conservation, and Office of Coastal Management; the Mineral Board; the Louisiana Public Service Commission; and the Louisiana Department of Environmental Quality. We also represent clients in proceedings before all state and federal trial and appellate courts in Louisiana.
We have represented various common carrier pipelines before the Louisiana Public Service Commission and the Louisiana Department of Natural Resources with respect to certification, rate increases, ownership transfers, pipeline construction and interconnection, pipeline safety and various other regulatory issues, as well as negotiation of transportation agreements and storage agreements. We also represent oil and gas operators and service companies in all manner of personal injury and property damage claims arising from seismic operations, drilling operations, production activities, workover operations, pipeline installation and repair, and platform construction and demolition. Kean Miller has represented companies engaged in hydraulic fracturing operations and underground injection issues. We have also assisted clients with water rights issues under LDNR Cooperative Endeavor Agreements.
Kean Miller has unparalleled experience with legacy oilfield issues both in the context of defending litigation claims and with respect to negotiation of remediation requirements with LDNR and LDEQ.
- Representation of the American Petroleum Institute, Louisiana Mid-Continent Oil and Gas Association, and the Louisiana Independent Oil and Gas Association as counsel in filing numerous amicus briefs on behalf of the oil and gas industry in matters before the Louisiana Supreme Court and Appellate courts.
- Representation of an oil and gas company, an oil and gas exploration company owned by a Swiss investor, in the sale of all of its oil and gas interests.
- Representation of a major energy company in the negotiation and drafting of an assignment of interests in offshore leases and in a joint operating agreement in connection with a proposed deepwater drilling and production platform.
- Representation of an energy company in oil and gas litigation involving claims for payment reconciliation, breach of contract, and detrimental reliance arising out of gas purchase agreements and an alleged gas purchase pre-pay contract.
- Representation of an oil and gas partnership in oil and gas litigation involving claims for royalties and improper deductions by mineral lessee and operator
- Representation of a local financial services concern and a national bank in making loans secured by oil and gas leases.
- Negotiation of oil and gas leases for major exploration companies in Louisiana.
- Representation of global energy companies in lease interpretation litigation.
- Representation of Fortune 10 oil and gas major in alleged royalty underpayment litigation against the State of Louisiana and private landowners.
- Representation of Fortune 10 oil and gas major in severance tax litigation.
- Appearances before the Department of Conservation on various issues for Texaco, numerous pipeline and energy production companies, and private landowners.
- Representation of numerous oil and gas pipeline companies before the Louisiana Department of Natural Resources and the Office of Conservation relating to applications for construction, interconnection, contract approval, abandonment and related regulatory issues.
- Representation of common carrier pipelines before the Louisiana Department of Natural Resources and the Office of Pipeline Safety with respect to pipeline safety compliance.
- Representation of common carrier pipelines before the Louisiana Public Service Commission with respect to rate increase filings, ownership transfers and various other regulatory issues, as well as the negotiation of transportation agreements and storage agreements, and electric service agreements.
- Representation of a Fortune 10 corporation in mineral lease and complex oil and gas pipeline negotiations.
- Representation of landowners in connection with mineral leases, seismic permits and oil and gas and other pipeline servitudes.
- Representation of working interests owners in connection with disposition of working interests, leases and related equipment (eg, wells).
- Deepwater drilling and production issues
- Lease and title disputes
- Regulatory matters and permitting
- Royalty and marketing disputes
- State, local and property taxes
- NORM litigation
- Environmental remediation
- Right-of-way acquisitions
- Toxic tort exposure
- Offshore/onshore damages and accident defense
- Oil and gas contract litigation