Carrie R. TournillonPartner
Carrie Tournillon is a partner in the New Orleans office of Kean Miller. She joined the firm in 2012 and practices in the utilities regulation, oil and gas, and pipeline groups. She is licensed to practice law in Louisiana and Texas, and has over fourteen years of experience in administrative and public utility law.
Carrie has represented industrial manufacturing, refining and related companies before the Louisiana Public Service Commission (LPSC) and City Council of New Orleans. She has been involved in advising companies with respect to generation projects to ensure their compliance with Federal and state energy regulatory law. Carrie has also represented companies in transportation permit matters and has assisted telecommunications companies, liquids intrastate pipeline company, local distribution gas utilities and water and sewerage utilities in regulatory matters and contract disputes.
Her private practice in Texas has included representation of clients on utility regulatory matters before the Public Utility Commission of Texas (PUCT), the Railroad Commission of Texas, the State Office of Administrative Hearings, and in district court. Prior to entering private practice in Texas, Carrie served as a Staff Attorney for the PUCT, where she represented the Commission in a variety of electric and telecommunication proceedings, rulemaking proceedings, and ERCOT protocol enforcement cases. Carrie also worked on the PUCT’s Emergency Management Response Team during Hurricane Ike.
Carrie is listed among the top Energy & Natural Resources: Utilities lawyers in the State of Louisiana by Chambers USA 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, and 2022.
- Representation of Louisiana Energy Users Group, an associate of industrial manufacturing, refining and/or related business operations located in Louisiana who collectively purchase more than 9 billion kWh/year of electricity from Entergy Louisiana, in electric energy rulemaking and policy matters before the LPSC
- Representation of container board manufacturing company before the LPSC in electric utility regulatory matters involving Cleco Power LLC
- Representation of industrial manufacturing company before City Council of New Orleans in electric utility regulatory matters involving Entergy New Orleans, LLC
- Representation of water/wastewater company on rate applications and state utility regulatory issues
- Representation of telecommunication company in multi-state complaint proceedings pursuant to Interconnection Agreements and the Telecommunication Act
- Representation of liquids intrastate pipeline company on rate application and regulatory issues before the LPSC
- Representation of major oil refining company in disputes over electric rates
- Representation of clients in applications for Eligible Telecommunications Carrier designations, compliance filings, and tariff revisions
- Representation of clients seeking permit authorization from the LPSC to transport oilfield waste
- Representation of clients in transmission routing cases
- Representation of clients in proceedings relating to applications by electric, gas and pipeline companies for rate increases
- Representation of clients in pole attachment fee matters
- Representation of clients in regulatory agency rulemaking proceedings
Carrie earned her B.A., cum laude, in Communications and Information Sciences in 1998 from the University of Alabama, College of Communications. She earned her J.D. in 2005 from Loyola University New Orleans College of Law.
- Admitted, Louisiana, 2005; Texas, 2006
- Louisiana (Utility Law Section) and Texas State (Public Utilities and Administrative Law Sections) Bar Associations, American Bar Association (Public Utilities and Administrative Law Sections); Women's Energy Network
- Louisiana Economic Development Repurposes Funds to Back Louisiana Loan Program for Small Businesses Affected by COVID-19, Louisiana Law Blog, April 3, 2020
- Louisiana Public Service Commission - Electric Utility Regulation - Recent and Current Topics, Louisiana Law Blog, December 19, 2019
- Transportation of Waste in Louisiana: Louisiana Public Service Commission Adopts New Rules for Motor Carriers of Waste, Louisiana Law Blog, September 26, 2017
- Transportation of Waste in Louisiana: Conflict between Louisiana Public Service Commission Rules and New Legislation, Louisiana Law Blog, July 11, 2017
- FEMA: Fact Sheets for Filing Flood Claims and Applying for Individual Assistance, Louisiana Law Blog, August 23, 2016
- Business Disaster Loans: Assistance for Uninsured or Under-Insured Losses, Louisiana Law Blog, August 16, 2016
- Board of Directors, The Green Project
- Member, Lakeview Civic Improvements Association
- Parishioner, St. Dominic Parish
- Member, Friends of City Park