Katherine W. KingPartner
Katherine King is a partner in the Baton Rouge office of Kean Miller. She joined the firm in 1989. Katherine has more than 25 years of experience before the Louisiana Public Service Commission (LPSC) with a focus on the regulation of Louisiana’s electric, telecommunications and pipeline industries. She has provided project development and electric regulatory advice with respect to a number of generation projects. Katherine has been heavily involved in advising generator clients with respect to generation project structures that satisfy client needs while complying with both Federal energy regulatory law and LPSC requirements. She also advises major industrial companies with respect to power supply contracts, federal and state electric regulatory compliance, and self-generation and she represents these clients before the LPSC in electric regulatory proceedings. Katherine serves as counsel to the Louisiana Energy Users Group (LEUG), an intervention group whose members are major industrial companies, and represents electric generators and project developers in regulatory proceedings before the LPSC, and in individual contract negotiations and project development.
She is AV-rated by Martindale-Hubbell and is listed in The Best Lawyers in America (2012-2021 - Administrative / Regulatory Law, Communications Law, and Energy Law) and Lawyer of the Year in 2021, Chambers USA (Energy & Natural Resources: Utilities, 2018, 2019 and 2020), Louisiana Super Lawyers (2007-2009 and 2011-2014), and Baton Rouge Business Report's Influential Women In Business 2005. Katherine was named a Baton Rouge Lawyer of the Year in Energy Law by Best Lawyers 2019.
- Counsel for LEUG in major electric utility regulatory proceedings before the Louisiana Public Service Commission for more than 20 years
- Representation of industrial clients with respect to power supply contracts, cogeneration projects, transmission, interconnection and project development issues
- Representation of industrial clients and project developers in over 20 generation projects on contractual, transmission, interconnection and project development issues
- Representation of developers with respect to renewable generation projects and representation of existing renewable generation project owners
- Representation of various liquids intrastate pipelines with respect to regulatory issues before the Louisiana Public Service Commission
- Representation of water/wastewater company on state utility regulatory issues
Katherine earned her J.D. from the LSU Law Center in 1981. She served as a law clerk to the Hon. Elven E. Ponder of the First Circuit Court of Appeal of Louisiana from 1981 to 1984 and to the Hon. John V. Parker, U.S. District Court, Middle District of Louisiana, from 1984 to 1986. She earned her B.S. from Louisiana State University in 1976.
- Admitted, Louisiana, 1981; United States District Courts for the Eastern and Middle Districts of Louisiana
- Baton Rouge, Louisiana State (Public Utility Section; Past Co-Chair) and American Bar Associations
- Board Member, Keep Louisiana Beautiful
- Board Member, St. Joseph Hospice Foundation
- Past Board Member, Prevent Child Abuse Louisiana
- Past President, Board of Directors and Member, Baton Rouge Green
- Past Board of Directors, Member and Vice President, Children's Hope