Associations and Organizations
Since our inception, Kean Miller LLP has represented many of Louisiana’s most influential trade organizations and business associations. We have represented these entities in business matters, legislative and administrative proceedings, lobbying and governmental affairs, litigation, rulemaking, and in development of legislation.
- Representation of the Louisiana Municipal Association (LMA), a statewide league of the villages, towns, and cites of the state of Louisiana, as General Counsel. We have represented the association in the formation of risk management pools, and continue to represent the LMA and its members in high-profile litigation matters.
- Representation of the Louisiana Chemical Association (LCA) as General Counsel and in connection with rulemaking and litigation on all facets of environmental issues, including the state risk based corrective action program; air, water, radiation, solid and hazardous waste matters; agency administrative practice/procedure issues; release reporting; enforcement; and state environmental legislation development. Our representation has also involved development of legislation and rulemaking actions affecting state taxation, workers’ compensation, energy regulation, and liability issues such as legislation involving class actions and evidentiary matters. We frequently represent LCA as amicus curiae in major appellate litigation. The LCA represents Louisiana’s chemical industry at the Capitol and in connection with the activities of regulatory agencies.
- Representation of the Louisiana Pulp & Paper Association (LPPA) as legislative counsel and as environmental regulatory counsel. The LPPA represents all major paper mills in the state of Louisiana including Georgia-Pacific, Tembec, Graphic Packaging International, Smurfit-Stone Container Corp., Boise Cascade, and International Paper.
- Representation of the Louisiana Mid-Continent Oil and Gas Association (LMOGA) in connection with an amicus brief filed with the Louisiana Supreme Court regarding oil field contamination and “NORM” litigation.
- Representation of the Louisiana Oil and Gas Association (LOGA) in connection tax, liability, and environmental issues including a challenge to the valuation of subsurface oil and gas well properties for ad valorem tax purposes.
- Representation of the American Petroleum Institute, Louisiana Mid-Continent Oil and Gas Association, Louisiana Oil and Gas Association and the Louisiana Chemical Association as appellate counsel in filing numerous amicus briefs on behalf of the energy industry in matters before the Louisiana Supreme Court and Appellate courts.
- Representation of the Louisiana Motor Transport Association (LMTA) in connection with tax and liability issues, legislative drafting, committee testimony and floor lobbying. We recently assisted the association with a major case involving the imposition of a public utilities tax in the trucking industry, including a settlement resulting in millions of dollars being refunded to the members of the industry and in connection with federal preemption challenges to taxes levied on members.
- Representation of the Louisiana Energy Users Group (LEUG) for over 15 years. LEUG is an unincorporated association of manufacturing, refining, and related business operations located in Louisiana. We represent the organization in all major energy dockets before the Louisiana Public Service Commission and in dockets before the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission. We have provided extensive representation and advice to industrial and generation developers on state and federal electric power issues impacting proposed power projects.
- Representation of the Louisiana Home Builders Association in business and corporate matters relating to insurance coverage for its members.
- Representation of the Louisiana Association of Educators as General Counsel on all statewide legal matters of interest to its members for over 24 years.
- Representation of the Louisiana Association of Educators in the drafting of legislation and in litigation against the State of Louisiana and then-Governor Edwin Edwards regarding the decrease in funding of education and cuts to the minimum foundation formula of teacher certification programs.
- Representation of the Louisiana Association of Educators and its members in the development and defense of sales tax propositions, and challenges to the use of funds.
- Representation of The Competitive Carriers of the South, Inc., an association of competitive telecommunications carriers, in major dockets relating to the deregulation of the telecommunications market before the Louisiana Public Service Commission.
- Representation of the Louisiana Ammonia Producers group in rulemaking development regarding the state’s air toxic program and on other environmental issues.