Lana Crump is a partner in the Baton Rouge office of Kean Miller. She joined the firm in 1995 and represents clients in toxic tort and mass tort actions, business litigation, federal civil rights cases, local government and land use matters, and property, life, health and disability insurance litigation. Lana has particular expertise in class action litigation involving chemical exposures and catastrophic accidents. She represents companies and individuals in all areas of business disputes and contract litigation. She defends life and disability claims for insurance companies. She also counsels municipalities involving municipal, land use, constitutional and civil rights issues.
Lana is AV rated by Martindale-Hubbell.
- Served as Trial Attorney/Counsel in defending high-profile, multiple-plaintiff lawsuits arising out of an explosion and fire at a major Louisiana chemical manufacturing facility. The Kean Miller emergency response and trial teams assisted our client in official notifications, evidence preservation, incident investigation, interaction with state and federal regulatory authorities, litigation management, and complex mass joinder and personal injury trial defense in multiple venues, including taking several cases to verdict.
- Representation of an oil and gas exploration company in a multi-million dollar control of well insurance claim
- Representation of a major olefins production facility in incident management and litigation arising from an explosion and fire at the facility
- Representation of a major petrochemical company in a $50 million class action lawsuit involving alleged exposure to hazardous materials
- Representation of an international oil and gas company in a multi-million dollar construction dispute involving soil and groundwater contamination
- Representation of a global fertilizer producer in a complex class action involving an explosion and fire from its Louisiana facility
- Representation of an international oil and gas company in a class action involving refinery flaring and emissions of sulfur dioxide and hydrogen sulfide
- Representation of a Louisiana municipality in a multi-million dollar land-use dispute against a real estate developer
- Representation of a municipality in multiple claims of First Amendment violations and retaliation
- Representation of municipalities throughout south Louisiana in the defense of federal civil rights suits, including a case involving allegations of federal conspiracy in the United States Supreme Court
- Representation of an international energy company in litigation involving a lease dispute involving an LNG facility
- Representation of a multi-national industrial client involving long term exposure to ethylene dichloride
- Representation of a national pipeline company in a contract dispute relating to design and construction of a Louisiana pipeline
- Representation of a chemical manufacturer in class action litigation arising out of property damage claims from nearby residents alleging excessive coke emissions from the facility
- Representation of a large global clearing broker and financial services provider in business litigation brought by Louisiana investors
- Representation of a title insurance company advocating its position on use of federal grant funds in compliance with Louisiana law
- Representation of a national insurance carrier in multiple suits against the insurance company including complex claims for policy disability benefits and accidental death benefits
- Representation of a regional insurance company in multiple suits for life insurance benefits involving material misrepresentation and beneficiary disqualification issues
- Representation of global manufacturer of dental products in multiple products liability disputes
- Successfully defended a national insurance company in a fraud claim alleging misrepresentations in dealing with security interests on annuity accounts
- Representation of the Louisiana Municipal Association on significant municipal law issues in appellate courts and the Louisiana Supreme Court
- Representation of the Louisiana Department of Justice advocating its position on the statutory representation requirement by the Louisiana Attorney General
Lana earned her B.A. from Louisiana State University in 1992. She earned her J.D. in 1995 from the LSU Law Center where she was a member of the Order of the Coif and Moot Court Board. She is a member of the LSU Law Center Hall of Fame.
- Admitted, Louisiana, 1995; United States District Courts for the Eastern, Middle and Western Districts of Louisiana; United States Court of Appeals, Fifth; Circuit; United States Supreme Court, 2002
- Baton Rouge, Louisiana State and American Bar Associations (ABA Tort and Trial Practice Section); Defense Research Institute; Louisiana Association of Defense Counsel; Louisiana Bar Foundation Fellow (Capital Area Community Partnership Panel 2013-2014; Chair 2014-2016)
Articles, Publications and Presentations
- Conflicts and Confidentiality Step-By-Step, Louisiana City Attorneys Association, 2014 Fall Conference and CLE
- Ethics: Best Practices in Representing Your Municipal Client, Louisiana City Attorneys Association 2012 Fall Conference
- Professionalism for Attorneys, Louisiana City Attorneys Association, 2011 Fall Conference and CLE.
- Closing Arguments that Help the Jury, Louisiana State Bar Association, Co-Presenter Voodoo Fest Seminar, 2010.
- Professionalism in the 21st Century, Louisiana City Attorneys Association, 2010 Fall Conference and CLE.
- How to Be a Professional, Louisiana State University, LSU Law Center, 2009 CLE by the hour.
- Recent Developments in Local Disturbing the Peace Ordinance, Louisiana City Attorneys Association, 2008 Summer Conference.
- Do You Know the Rules of Professional Conduct?, Louisiana City Attorneys Association, 2007 Fall Conference.
- Ethics: Revisions to Selected Rules of Professional Conduct, Louisiana City Attorneys Association, 2004 Fall Conference.
- Game of Ethics, Louisiana City Attorneys Association, 2002 Fall Conference.
- Ethics for the Municipal Attorney, Louisiana City Attorneys Association, 2000 Summer Workshop.
- Overview of the Louisiana Campaign Finance Disclosure Act, Louisiana Association of Educators, May 2000.
- Municipal Law, Baton Rouge Bar Association, Continuing Legal Education, December 1998.
- Board Member, Prevent Child Abuse Louisiana, 2008 - 2015; President and Board Chair, 2014-2016
- Chair, Capital Area Jock Scott Community Partnership Panel, Louisiana Bar Foundation, 2014-2015
- Past Volunteer, Junior Achievement Teaching Program, Glen Oaks Middle School
- Volunteer, Mid City Fix-Up Program, Baton Rouge Bar Association
- Young Lawyers Section and Continuing Legal Education Committee, Baton Rouge Bar Association
- Member, YWCA of Baton Rouge
- Member, St. George Catholic Church