Laurel M. SmithAssociate
Laurel Smith is an associate in the Houston and The Woodlands offices of Kean Miller, practicing in the areas of probate, trust, and guardianship litigation and administration. She provides assistance with independent and dependent estate administration, trust administration, guardianship, and represents individual and corporate fiduciaries in contested litigation that includes both the prosecution and defense of claims. Laurel is also a Certified Mediator.
Prior to joining the legal profession, Laurel worked in the medical sector in an IVF laboratory devoted to assisting patients working to conceive children. This work provided Laurel with a unique perspective on private issues that families face and empowered her to interact with clients in a personal and empathetic way.
- Probate Litigation and Administration
- Fiduciary Litigation
- Guardianship Issues and Litigation
- Estate Planning
Laurel earned her B.A. from Texas A&M University, College Station in 2011. She earned her J.D. from South Texas College of Law in 2018 She is also a certified mediator.
Admitted, Texas, 2018
- Associate, Texas Probate Law American Inn of Court
- Houston Bar Association
- Houston Young Lawyers Association
- Historian, Daughters of the American Revolution
- Co-Author, “The Anti-SLAPP Clapback: How the TCPA Complicates Estates, Trusts, and Guardianships,” presented at the State Bar of Texas 14th Annual Fiduciary Litigation Course, December 5–6, 2019, also presented at the Houston Association of Legal Professionals’ Elder Law Seminar, January 25, 2020
- Co-Author, “Guardianships – What Do You Do When Your Client Is Not All There?”, State Bar of Texas 44th Annual Advanced Family Law Course, August 13 – 16, 2018
- Co-Author, “Tortious Interference with Inheritance: Dead or In a Temporary Coma?” State Bar of Texas 12th Annual Fiduciary Litigation Course, November 30 – December 1, 2017