Mark A. DoréSenior Counsel
Mark Doré is senior counsel in the Lafayette office of Kean Miller. He joined the firm in 2018 and practices in the energy group (oil and gas and renewable energy), business and corporate and real estate groups. One aspect of Mark’s practice focuses on representing upstream energy companies in Louisiana, including oil and gas transactional matters, mineral title examination, due diligence, acquisition and sale of oil and gas properties, regulatory compliance, and providing advice to attorneys and landmen at companies engaged in upstream activities.
Another facet of Mark's practice is reflected in his experience in the area of Carbon Capture, Usage, and Storage (CCUS). He regularly works with clients to facilitate their entry into this market and has been heavily involved in drafting, negotiation, and advising in connection with the acquisition of servitude and fee agreements, land use and expropriation issues, and regulatory matters in all stages of the project.
While in law school, Mark launched his own oil and gas/real estate title company in Lafayette, Louisiana, and continued working full time as an independent landman from 2004-2010, where he gained hands-on working knowledge of Louisiana mineral law.
- Preparation of hundreds of oil and gas title opinions, including original/drilling title opinions, supplemental title opinions, division order title opinions, leasehold title opinions, surface title opinions, and acquisition title opinions
- Advises land and legal departments in upstream energy companies on various operational and regulatory issues, including lease maintenance, surface use, salt water disposal, payment of royalties and other production proceeds, and disputes with royalty owners and working interest partners
- Negotiates and drafts contracts for upstream energy companies, including joint operating agreements, purchase and sale agreements, pooling and unitization agreements, surface use agreements, rights of way, salt water disposal agreements, leasehold assignments, royalty and overriding royalty assignments, curative instruments, and various other contracts
- Represents energy companies in connection with the acquisition of producing assets in Louisiana, most recently in Northwest, Central, and South Louisiana
- Representation of large independent oil and gas company on claim by landowner for recognition of certain mineral interests in land and involving competing mineral servitude interests
- Representation of oil field service company in debt collection in connection with the Louisiana Oil Well Lien Statue
- Representation of various clients in commercial transactional matters, including contract negotiation, drafting, and business development
Mark earned his B.S. from the University of Louisiana at Lafayette in 2004. He earned his J.D. from Southern University Law Center in 2009.
- Admitted, Louisiana
- Lafayette Parish and Louisiana State Bar Associations; Lafayette Association of Professional Landmen (LAPL)
- Renewables’ Big Three, AAPL, LAPL & BRAPL Field Landman Seminar, November 17, 2022
- Ethics for Landmen, LAPL, 2017
- Board of Commissioners, Lafayette Economic Development Association (LEDA)