Mark E. StipeOf Counsel
Mark Stipe is of counsel in the Lafayette office of Kean Miller. He joined the firm in 2024 and practices in the business and corporate group. Mark is a persuasive negotiator with experience solving complex legal issues and evaluating risk across different areas of an organization. He has keen sensibilities as a leader to develop and refine policies and programs as well as interact with multiple disciplines of professionals and successfully navigate governmental and regulatory agencies. Mark has experience in oilfield service mergers and acquisitions, human resources administration, complex litigation resolution, regulatory compliance, internal complaints investigation, risk insurance administration, and acquisitions and divestitures. He is also well-versed in public bid and procurement law, independent investigations, gaming issues, and commercial, tort, and contractual litigation.
Prior to joining the firm, Mark served as Lafayette Assistant City-Parish Attorney, where he managed and oversaw litigation involving the Lafayette City-Parish Consolidated Government, negotiated cooperative endeavor agreement with other entities, and provided advice to department heads within Lafayette City-Parish Consolidated Government. He also served as general counsel for an energy services company with operations across 10 states, where he oversaw and coordinated the human resources and insurance departments, risk management program, and all litigation involving claims asserted or threatened in the United States. This experience allows Mark to provide part-time on-site corporate general counsel services.
- Spearheaded acquisition of multiple entities, divestiture of multiple divisions, and real property acquisitions.
- Lead Counsel in multiple merger and acquisition transactions, including transactions requiring state and federal regulatory approval.
- Special Counsel for multiple governmental agencies, including the Attorney General for the State of Louisiana, the Public Service Commission, and the Lt. Governor for the State of Louisiana.
- Prepared, litigated, and tried multiple cases before state and federal civil juries.
- Representation of both plaintiffs and defendants in personal injury claims.
- Closed multiple real estate transactions and served as agent for a title insurance company.
- Negotiated and drafted cooperative endeavor agreements with non-profit entities, governmental agencies, and governmental entities.
- Drafted ordinances and revisions to the municipal code for Lafayette City-Parish Consolidated Government.
- Negotiated and drafted contracts with vendors and service providers to Lafayette City-Parish Consolidated Government.
Mark earned his J.D. from the Louisiana State University Paul M. Hebert Law Center in 1989. He earned his B.S. in Commercial Banking from Louisiana State University in 1986 and his B.S. in Accounting from Louisiana State University in 1984. Mark is a Certified Public Accountant.
- Admitted, Louisiana, 1989
- Texas, 2014
- United States Supreme Court
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- Association of Corporate Counsel
- LCPA Small Business Development Committee
- Louisiana Gaming Control Board, Member (2008-2020), Vice-Chairman (2017-2020)
- Academy of Sacred Heart, Volunteer
- Acadiana Youth, Inc., Board Member & Board President (2005)
- Ascension Episcopal School, Volunteer
- First United Methodist Church, Lafayette, Louisiana, Finance Chair
- Lafayette Little League, Volunteer Coach, Board Member & Board President (2009)
- Lourdes Foundation, Volunteer
- Selective Service System, Local Board Member