Bob Schmidt is of counsel to the Baton Rouge office of Kean Miller. He joined the firm in 2016 and has represented clients in the employee benefits and ERISA arena for more than 30 years. Bob worked with the United States Tax Court in Washington, DC as an attorney-adviser. He regularly assists employers of all sizes in developing and implementing pension and other employee benefit plans, and in regulatory and compliance issues involving those plans. He has drafted thousands of plans for publicly-traded and privately-held companies, government and tax-exempt employers. He works with executive pay plans and deferred compensation arrangements. Bob advises employers with respect to plan maintenance, investment regulations, plan administration, and plan termination matters.
Bob has been listed in The Best Lawyers in America in Employee Benefits Law since 1984. He is AV-rated by Martindale-Hubbell and is Board Certified as a Tax Law specialist by the Louisiana Board of Legal Specialization.Education
Bob earned his B.S. from Yale University in 1968. He earned his J.D. from the University of Virginia in 1975 and his LL.M. in Taxation from Georgetown University Law Center in 1977.Admissions
- Admitted, Louisiana, District of Columbia and Virginia
- Baton Rouge, Louisiana State and American Bar Associations; Estate and Business Planning Council of Baton Rouge
- Lawsuit Claiming that Employer Sought to Evade Obamacare Costs Leads to $7.4 Million Class Action Settlement, Louisiana Law Blog, December 4, 2017
- Member, Baton Rouge Assembly
- Member, Downtown Kiwanis Club