Robert Kallam is a partner in the Lafayette office of Kean Miller. He joined the firm in 2019 and practices with the offshore energy and maritime practice group. In addition, Robert’s areas of practice include insurance (domestic and international), premises liability, casualty litigation, Act 312 (“Legacy Lawsuit”) litigation, appellate advocacy and the drafting and negotiating of Master Service Agreements.
Robert is recognized by Louisiana Super Lawyers, 2008-2020 and was listed in the Top 50 in 2018-2020. Robert is also recognized in Acadiana Profile’s Top Lawyers for 2014-2019. He is AV-rated by Martindale-Hubbell. He is recognized by The Best Lawyers in America in Administrative/Regulatory Law, 2020. Robert is the recipient of the 2019 Federal Bar Association Lafayette Acadiana Chapter Professionalism Award.
- Drafted and negotiated master service agreements and related agreements including insurance, risk, loss allocation and indemnity
- Represented numerous marine, drilling and energy service contractors, energy companies, vessel owners, product manufactures in fatality, bodily injury, commercial, contract, property damage, and toxic tort litigation in state and federal courts
- Represented drilling, energy service contractors and operators in downhole oil and gas well failures, blow outs and property damage contract and litigation disputes
- Represented numerous premises owners in litigation regarding premises liability and other casualty matters
- Represented energy sector clients in arbitration proceedings in both commercial disputes as well as property damages losses
- Represented excess insurers in litigation regarding explosions, transportation accidents, etc. involving catastrophic injuries, death and/or brain injuries
Robert earned his B.S. from Louisiana State University in 1987. He earned his J.D. from the LSU Law Center in 1990. Robert is a member of the LSU Law Center Hall of Fame and is a winner of the 1990 Robert Lee Tullis Moot Court Competition.
- Louisiana; Texas; Louisiana Supreme Court; Texas Supreme Court; United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit; United States District Courts for the Eastern, Middle and Western Districts of Louisiana; United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- Louisiana and Texas State Bar Associations; Bar Association of the Fifth Federal Circuit; Federal Bar Association, Acadian/Lafayette, President Elect 2004-2005 and President 2005-2006; The Maritime Law Association of the United States; Louisiana Association of Defense Counsel; Lafayette Young Lawyers Association, President 1996-1997, District 3 Representative 1996-1998
- Protection and Indemnity Claims Handling/Maintenance and Cure-Transocean, Houston, TX, 2012
- What Goes Around Comes Around: The Sometimes Conflicting Interests of Primary and Excess Carriers –Chaucer Seminar, London, 2012
- Analyzing Indemnity and Insurance Obligations in Master Service Agreements – Trident Marine Managers Seminar, Houston, TX, 2013
- Analyzing Indemnity and Insurance Obligations in Master Service Agreements –Louisiana Companies, Lafayette, LA, 2014
- Excess Insurance – Trident Marine Managers Seminar, Houston, TX, 2015
- Contractual Indemnification in Louisiana and Texas; UM/UIM under Louisiana and Texas Law; Policy Rights in Louisiana – AIG Seminar, Olathe, KS, 2016
- Contractual Indemnification Overview in Louisiana and Texas-JLT Specialty Insurance Services, Inc. Seminar, Houston, TX, 2017
- Contractual Indemnification Overview in Louisiana And Texas- Dwight Andrus Insurance Seminar, Lafayette, LA, 2018
- Board of Trustees, Louisiana State University Law Center, 2010 - present
- Faculty Member, Louisiana State University Law Center Apprenticeship Week, 2014, 2015 and 2018
- Cathedral Carmel School’s Advisory Council, 2006-2011
- St. Thomas More Catholic High School Foundation Board, 2015-2018
- Ascension Episcopal High School Athletic Booster Club Board, 2014-2018