Terrence D. McCayOf Counsel
Terry McCay is a partner in the Lake Charles office of Kean Miller. He joined the firm in 1999 and practices primarily business defense litigation, toxic tort litigation, and employment law litigation. Terry has extensive experience in the Louisiana forest products, pulp and paper, and chemical industry and was selected as one of the Best Lawyers in America from 2007-2023 in Timber Law by Best Lawyers. He is recognized in Acadiana Profile’s Top Lawyers for 2022.
A professional forester and Land Administration Manager with Boise Cascade before attending law school, Terry has specific experience in timber and forestry related matters, cases involving exposure to toxic substances, general civil litigation and defense, hearing loss, property issues and collections cases.
Terry also assists in representing local, regional and national industrial clients in cases involving the EEOC, sexual harassment and discrimination and wrongful termination.
- Representation of a Louisiana cooperative association in expansion of fuel depots throughout the southeast U.S. since 2010
- Representation of two significant land and timber companies in the closing of over 400 timber land sales in Louisiana since 2005 totaling over 25,000 acres and $45,000,000
- Assisted large timberland owners with resolution of boundary disputes and timber overcut disputes in Beauregard, Vernon, Rapides and Sabine Parishes since 2009
- Representation of several Fortune 500 companies in the defense of claims involving asbestos, benzene, and other toxic chemicals
Terry earned his B.S. in Forestry, cum laude, from the University of Kentucky in 1980. He earned his M.S. in Forest Management and Economics, cum laude, in 1982 and his M.B.A., cum laude, in 1983, both from Virginia Tech. Terry earned his J.D. from the LSU Law Center in 1999, and was a member of the Moot Court Board from 1998 to 1999.
- Admitted, Louisiana, 1999; United States District Court for the Eastern, Middle and Western Districts of Louisiana; United States Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit
- Louisiana State (Louisiana State Law Institute Council, Observer, Young Lawyers Section, 2002), Southwest Louisiana, American and Federal Bar Associations; Southwest Louisiana Defense Counsel
- Common Workplace Issues under the ADA, ICHRMA General Membership Meeting, April 2016
- Successfully operating a Logging Business, Louisiana Logging Council presentation, DeRidder, LA, November 2015
- Proposed Changes to Overtime Regulations and the Recent SCOTUS Decision on Same Sex Marriages: Implications for Employers, ICHRMA general membership meeting, August 2015
- Assessing Liability with Boundary Tree Damage, Forests and People, Louisiana Forestry Association, November 2013
- The Rogue Co-Owner: Cutting and Selling Timber from a Co-Owned Tract, Forests and People, Louisiana Forestry Association, September 2011 (with R. Benn Vincent)
- Section 7 of the National Labor Relations Act, Baton Rouge Bar Journal, April 2004, with Michael C. Garrard and A. Edward Hardin
- Sale of Undivided Timber Interest: Louisiana’s “80/20” Law Ruled Constitutional, Forests & People, Louisiana Forestry Association, Vol. 53 No. 3, November 2003
- Why Giles Should Be Invited to the Party: The Weingarten Right in a Nonunion Settting, Louisiana Bar Journal, Volume 49, No. 3, October/November 2001
- Feasibility of Small Mill Investments for Utilizing Small-Diameter Hardwood from Coal Lands in Southwestern Virginia, Forest Products Journal, Volume 34, Number 6, June 1984
- Past Hearing Committee Member and Chairman, Louisiana Attorney Disciplinary Board
- Past Board Member, Volunteer Center of Southwest Louisiana
- Member, Louisiana Forestry Association since 1983
- Past Vice-President, Beauregard Parish Chapter of the Louisiana Council on Child Abuse
- The Chamber/Southwest Louisiana Leadership Class of 2000
- Past Board Member, Crimestoppers of Lake Charles, Inc.
- Past Board Member, Friends of Louisiana Public Broadcasting
- Past Board Member, Imperial Calcasieu Human Resource Managers Association
- Volunteer, CASA (Court Appointed Special Advocate), Calcasieu Parish, Louisiana, since 2007
- Past Board Member, LCIA (Louisiana Chemical Industry Alliance)
- Past Volunteer coach, youth baseball and track
- Hurricane Katrina and Rita Pro Bono Projects, 2005
- Calcasieu Parish Criminal Defense Pro Bono Project, 2012
- Past Board Member and President, Our Lady of the Oaks Catholic Retreat House in Grand Coteau, La