Blane Clark is a partner in the Baton Rouge office of Kean Miller. He is also the Managing Partner of the firm. Blane has more than 29 years of experience in handling complex industrial commercial and health care transactions for clients. He has handled many different types of transactions, including:
- The sale and purchase of hundreds of industrial, commercial and medical businesses in the form of asset deals, equity deals and mergers;
- Onshore and offshore oil, gas and other material pipeline dedication, gathering and transportation agreements;
- Industrial and commercial construction agreements;
- The sale and leasing of mineral interests;
- The formation of entities for use as business operating companies, as joint ventures, as real estate holding companies, as medical, legal, architectural and other professional service providers and other purposes involving the preparation of organizational documents;
- The contracts utilized in the health care industry, such as exclusive services agreements between hospitals and physician groups, agreements between physician groups and third party payers, employment and independent contractor agreements, shareholder and partnership agreements among physician shareholders and partners, and purchase agreements involving the acquisition of health care providers;
- The loan transactions involving loan agreements and collateral documents involving real estate and other assets;
- Employment agreements; and
- Non-competition agreements.
In addition to handling transactions for his clients, Blane works with clients in planning their overall corporate structure and in helping with day-to-day issues that surface in the operation of their businesses.
Blane has also advised many shareholders and partners on the relative rights of holders of a majority or minority equity position. He has been recognized for his legal skills by being listed in The Best Lawyers in America (Woodward/White) in Corporate Law and M&A. Blane is also listed among the top Corporate/M&A lawyers in the State of Louisiana by Chambers USA 2016. He has been named Lawyer of the Year 2017 in Mergers and Acquisitions Law by The Best Lawyers in America.
- Negotiation of LLC Operating Agreement on behalf of one joint venture partner involving the ownership and operation of a project in excess of $3 billion including an 1100 mile natural gas liquids pipeline from West Virginia to Louisiana, a fractionation facility, storage facilities, an LPG terminal, and export facilities.
- Lead outside counsel in the sale of the DSM SBR (styrene-butadiene rubber) business unit of DSM Copolymer, Inc. to a private equity company, Lion Chemical Capital LLC: The transaction took the form of an asset transaction, and involved issues particular to the sale of an on-going industrial business, such as those relating to ERISA, unions, state and local taxes and environmental regulatory matters
- Lead outside counsel in the representation of The Williams Companies, Inc. through affiliates, Williams Field Services-Gulf Coast Company, L.P., Williams Oil Gathering, L.L.C. and Discovery Producer Services L.L.C. in the negotiation of a suite of agreements involving the construction of oil and gas export pipelines and the ownership and operation of those lines to gather:
- gas production from a floating platform system situated in the Green Canyon Block 641, Offshore Louisiana, Gulf of Mexico;
- oil and gas production from a floating platform system situated in the Aliminos Canyon Block 857, offshore Texas in the Gulf of Mexico; and
- oil and gas production from a semi-submersible floating oil and gas production facility situated in Mississippi Canyon Block 650, offshore Louisiana in the Gulf of Mexico
- Representation of Cajun Injector, Inc. in the sale of the assets of the Clinton-based company to a New Iberia-based Bruce Foods Corporation: The multi-million dollar transaction included unique intellectual property, trademark, and copyright negotiations, as well as complex valuations of the nationally distributed marinade maker
- Representation of non-physician group in the formation of a series of physician owned joint ventures in the ownership and operation of medical imaging centers
- Lead outside counsel in representation of the former Mobil Oil Corporation in its acquisition of the former Tenneco Refinery in Chalmette, Louisiana
- Representation of Lamar Advertising Company, a public company, and the largest owner of outdoor advertising structures operating in 48 states, in the acquisition of a number of outdoor advertising companies
- Representation of Petroleum Service Corporation and its shareholders in the sale of all stock to a global service provider: Negotiations focused heavily on the terms for escrowing of the purchase price to satisfy potential indemnity claims. Further adding to the complexity of the transaction were issues relating to foreign ownership of assets and filings under Hart-Scott-Rodino Antitrust Improvements Act
- Representation of an individual in the acquisition of a membership interest in a pipeline company and in the financing of the acquisition cost
- Representation of an industrial services contractor in the acquisition of a business by a domestic competitor: The transaction included various successor liability issues
- Representation of a Louisiana home health and hospice agency, in the acquisition of a business from a regional hospital
- Representation of numerous medical groups and doctor groups in a wide variety of complex business transactions and agreements
- Representation of numerous banks and financial institutions in a variety of transactional matters, financings and closing matters
- Represented the members of James Construction Group, L.L.C. in the sale of 100% of the membership interests to Primoris Services Corporation, one of the largest privately-held construction companies in the southeastern United States, consisting of cash, promissory note and stock in Primoris
- Negotiation of LLC Operating Agreement on behalf of one joint venture partner involving the ownership and operation of a floating production system to be located in the deep water, Gulf of Mexico, offshore Louisiana
- Negotiation of Production Handling Agreement and related suite of agreements on behalf of owner of a floating production system to be located in the deep water, Gulf of Mexico, offshore Louisiana, pursuant to which the client will handle oil and gas on the floating production system and then transport the oil and gas through export pipelines to shore
- Representation of purchaser of health clubs in Baton Rouge, Louisiana and Gonzales, Louisiana
- Representation of owner of a terminal facility and adjacent manufacturing facility located on the Mississippi River in connection with the sale of the terminal facility and related agreements in connection with the purchaser continuing to provide terminal services in connection with the manufacturing facility.
- Negotiation of Professional Services Agreements between radiation oncologists, emergency room physicians, radiologists, anesthesiologists and/or pathologists with the following facilities:
- Our Lady of the Lake Regional Medical Center
- Lake Imaging Center
- St. Elizabeth Hospital
- Baton Rouge General Medical Center
- Woman's Hospital
- Louisiana Spine and Sports Medicine
- Outpatient Surgery Center for Site
- St. James Parish Hospital
- Advanced Surgical Care of Baton Rouge
- Greater Baton Rouge Surgical Hospital
- Lane Regional Medical Center
- Perkins Plaza Ambulatory Surgery Center
- The Neuromedical Center Hospital
- West Louisiana Parish Hospital
- Surgery Center of Hammond
- Surgical Specialty Center of Baton Rouge
- Orthopedic Surgery Center
- Gonzales Endoscopy Center
- Pennington Cancer Center
- Represented Command Central, Inc. in the sale of the assets of a commercial and residential alarm monitoring business to Acadian Monitoring Services, L.L.C.
- Representation of shareholders of Alford Safety Services, Inc. and Alford Safety, Inc. in the sale of a majority equity interest in a group of companies engaged in oil field services
- Represented Hearthstone Properties Corporation and Westmoreland Properties, LLC in the purchase of Westmoreland Shopping Center in Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Blane earned his B.S. from Louisiana State University in 1980. He earned his J.D. in 1984 from the LSU Law Center where he was a member of the Order of the Coif.
- Admitted, Louisiana, 1984
- Baton Rouge, Louisiana State (Business sand Antitrust Sections) and American (Business and Antitrust Sections Bar Associations; Louisiana Law Institute (Council, 1993-1995 Junior Honorary Member)
Articles, Publications and Presentations
- Business Acquisitions, Baton Rouge Bar Association, 1995.
- Basic Corporate Law in Louisiana, National Business Institute, 1993.
- Considerations in Buying or Selling a Business in Louisiana, National Business Institute, 1991.
- Past Member and President, Board of Directors, Big Buddy Program
- Past Member, Board of Directors, The Hospice Foundation of Greater Baton Rouge
- Graduate, Greater Baton Rouge Chamber of Commerce Leadership Class of 1998
- Baton Rouge Business Report's "40 Under 40," 1999
- Past Member, Board of Directors, Myriam's House
- Past Member, Board of Managers, Baton Rouge Main Street Market, L.L.C. (a community public market)
- Past President, Board of Directors, Catholic High School Alumni Association
- Member, Board of Directors, Catholic High School