Greg Anding is a litigation partner in the Baton Rouge office of Kean Miller. He joined the firm in 1995 and practices in the trial, toxic tort, expropriation, and commercial litigation groups. Greg represents clients in civil and business litigation, asbestos and benzene defense, other toxic tort litigation, hearing loss claims, expropriation (eminent domain) litigation, and construction law.
Greg has particular experience representing clients in cases involving premises liability, products liability, personal injury involving chemical exposures, and pipeline expropriation and expansion projects.
- Hearing Loss Litigation
- Landmark decision by the Louisiana Supreme Court holding that hearing loss tort claims against employers are barred because those claims are compensable under the Louisiana Workers Compensation Act ("the Act") as an occupational disease under the Act's post-1975 definition of that term as an accident under the Act's pre-1990 definition of that term
- Expropriation and Land Use
- Representation of a major energy company in management of a high-profile 42-inch natural gas pipeline expropriation project from the Haynesville Shale in North Louisiana near Mansfield, Louisiana to Napoleonville, Louisiana. The project involved the acquisition of more than 250 miles of land through conventional agreement and expropriation litigation, as well as environmental, regulatory and governmental relations issues.
- Representation of global pipeline company in the successful expropriation of property for the transportation of ethylene to a major polyvinyl chloride facility
- Representation of major petrochemical company in several bench trials for the expropriation of property to construct common carrier pipelines spanning four parishes in south Louisiana
- Prevailed in Louisiana Supreme Court landmark decisions establishing the appropriate method for the determination of just compensation in pipeline expropriation cases in Louisiana and route selection criteria
- Benzene Litigation
- Representation of major petrochemical companies in the successful exclusion of plaintiff’s causation expert and corresponding successful motion for summary judgment, dismissing all of plaintiff’s personal injury claims for alleged exposure to benzene
- Representation of major petrochemical companies in numerous personal injury suits brought by contractors and employees for claims allegedly related to exposure to benzene
- Asbestos and Occupational Exposure Litigation
- Representation of major petrochemical companies and paper production facilities in jury trials and settlements involving wrongful death and survival claims brought by families of deceased contractors and employees who allegedly developed and died from mesothelioma as a result of exposure to asbestos-containing products at numerous sites during their careers
- National Coordinating Counsel for a national paper manufacturing company in connection with asbestos litigation.
- Successfully obtained numerous summary judgments based on statutory employer worker’s compensation immunity for major petrochemical clients in chemical exposure suits brought by contract workers
- Construction Law
- Successful Federal Court bench trial on behalf of two Ethiopian businessmen in claim against a construction company for fees related to construction of a sugar mill in Ethiopia
- Representation of contractor in defective residential construction suit
- Representation of subcontractor in $5 million construction defect claim
- Class Action Litigation and Environmental Litigation
- Representation of international chemical manufacturer in class certification hearing involving claims brought by crawfish farmers throughout Louisiana for lost crops and resulting profits allegedly caused by crawfish exposure to client’s insecticide used to treat rice seed.
- Successfully removed several cases to federal court on the basis of federal officer removal statute for international rubber producer whose facility was controlled by the federal government during World War II as part of the war effort.
- James Clifford Arrant, 2015 WL 2082431; -So.3d -, 2013-2878 (La. 5/5/15): landmark Louisiana Supreme Court ruling that occupational noise-induced hearing loss claims are barred in tort on the basis of worker’s compensation exclusivity.
- Malcolm LeBlanc, 513 F.Supp.2d 641 (E.D. La 6/18/2007); 275 Fed.Appx. 319 (5th Cir. 4/22/2008) (vacated and remanded for reconsideration; 2009 WL 3837397 (E.D. La. 11/13/2009); 396 Fed.Appx. 94 (5th Cir. 9/23/2010)(affirmed): excluding plaintiff’s causation expert and dismissing plaintiff’s claim in benzene personal injury suit.
- Acadian Gas Pipeline System v. Nunley, 77 So. 3d 457 (La. App. 2 Cir. 11/2/11); 80 So. 3d 487, 2011-2680 (La. 2/10/12) (writ denied), finding in favor of Acadian Gas Pipeline on Nunley’s route selection challenges.
- Exxon Mobil Pipeline Co. v. Union Pacific R. Co., 35 So. 3d 192, 2009-1629 (La. 3/16/10), wherein the Louisiana Supreme Court clearly set forth the principle that “necessary” in the context of expropriation refers to the necessity of the purpose for the expropriation, not the necessity for a specific location.
- Exxon Pipeline Company v. LeBlanc, 2000-C-2559 (La. 10/05/01), 796 So. 2d 665
- Exxon Pipeline Company v. Hill, 2000-C-2535 c/w 2000-C-2559 (La. 5/15/01), 788 So. 2d 1154, which established the appropriate method for the determination of just compensation in pipeline expropriation cases in Louisiana.
Greg earned his B.S., summa cum laude, from Louisiana State University in 1992. He earned his J.D. in 1995 from the LSU Law Center where he was a member of the Order of the Coif and the Louisiana Law Review.
- Admitted, Louisiana, 1995
- Baton Rouge, Louisiana State and American Bar Associations; Defense Research Institute
Articles, Publications and Presentations
- Latest Personal Jurisdiction Ruling May Spark Increase in Louisiana Asbestos Litigation, Louisiana Law Blog, April 11, 2017
- Does This Piece Fit?: A Look at the Importation of the Common Law Quitclaim Deed and After-Acquired Title Doctrine into Louisiana's Civil Code, 55 Louisiana Law Review 159.
- Co-Author: 'Just Compensation' or Just a Windfall? Do Sales of Pipeline Servitudes Provide Valid, Reliable Comparables for Determination of Just Compensation in Pipeline Expropriation?, 45 Loyola Law Review 381 (1999).
- Board of Directors, Woodland Ridge Homeowners Association, 2000-2004
- Public Relations Co-Chairman, Capitol Sertoma Hall of Fashion Ball, 2007
- Lector, Most Blessed Sacrament Catholic Church, 2002-2007
- Volunteer, Most Blessed Sacrament Catholic Church Parish Fair, 2000-2006
- President, Capitol Sertoma Club, 2002
- Secretary/Treasurer, Capitol Sertoma Club, 1996-2002
- Capitol Sertoma Club,1996-present
- Board of Directors, Volunteers of America, 1996-2002
- Lector, St. George Catholic Church, 1995-2000
- Chariman, Holiday Star Committee, Baton Rouge Bar Association, 1998
- Past Volunteer, Junior Achievement Teaching Program, Glen Oaks Middle School, 1995-1996
- Catholic High School Men's Club, 1989 – present
- Most Blessed Sacrament Men's Club, 2002 - 2007