Environmental Sustainability and Renewable Energy
The alternative energy team has a wide range of knowledge in all phases of alternative energy projects within the region.KEAN MILLER, YOUR COUNSEL
Kean Miller counsels clients in the development and organization, site control and construction, permitting, and operational aspects of renewable and alternative energy projects, including geothermal, wind and solar. Our extensive experience with these projects extends across the southern United States.
We have worked hand in hand with our clients at every stage of project development, including:
- Site acquisitions, due diligence, and titling
- Economic development and state tax incentives
- Business and corporate matters
- Financing mechanisms
- Electric supply and interconnection agreements
- Regulatory and permitting
- Environmental compliance
- Labor and employment issues
- Intellectual property
- State and local tax
- Construction matters
- Insurance and insurance coverage disputes
Our interdisciplinary team of lawyers, across diverse practices, are adept at marshaling experience and resources to support the renewables industry – and support the future of alternative energy.
- Represented multiple commercial solar panel installation and leasing companies by providing guidance related to qualifying for and filing for federal and state solar energy tax credits
- Handled numerous lease agreements related to property to be used as solar developments, including ownership of and security interests in solar panel systems installed on real (immovable) property, and drafting comprehensive lease agreements covering installation, lease, repair, ownership and removal of solar panel systems, including disclosures required under state and federal law
- Representation of roof-top and ground mount solar developer on electric utility regulatory aspects of the project
- Advising major energy company in matters concerning leasing with regard to possible future development of a geothermal plant
- Representation of an international bank in connection with evaluating state-specific laws governing carbon sequestration in connection with financing of a potential project
- Representation of a national fertilizer manufacturer in connection with development of a CO2 capture and reuse project with another industrial company. Kean Miller assisted with contractual agreements and environmental permitting, compliance, and assistance with carbon credits.
- Representation of a biofuels producer with regard to economic development incentives, industrial real estate acquisitions, corporate documentation, environmental permitting, and governmental agency relations
- Representation of one of the leading rice hull combustion power plants in the United States, which utilize an environmentally friendly biomass waste product, rice hulls, to produce energy. Kean Miller assisted the company with regard to electrical regulatory matters including interconnection and offtake agreements.
- Representation of an ethanol development company pursuing the construction of a 100 MMGPY facility in the areas of energy and contract negotiations
- Representation of pulp/paper company in connection with federal tax credits for use of alternative fuels
- Representation of several fuel blenders/refiners in connection with permitting and compliance with federal renewable fuel standards
- Representation of Louisiana Chemical Association in connection with development of Louisiana legislation and rules on carbon sequestration
- Representation of numerous clients in projects using waste hear or off-gases for the production of electricity, including with respect to interconnection, offtake agreements PURPA filings and other utility regulatory areas
- Representation of company in connection with the development of hybrid renewable electric generation resources
- Representation of an industrial facility and solar generation project developers in connection with capacity reservations under Renewable Energy Pilot (“REP”) standard-offer tariffs of electric public utilities
- Representation of companies with regard to issuance and defense of patents and trademarks associated with alternative energy projects