Hospitality, Entertainment and Gaming
We represent national, regional and local companies with respect to a variety of hospitality and entertainment matters.KEAN MILLER, YOUR COUNSEL
Kean Miller is counsel to the entertainment and hospitality industry. Our team represents national, regional and local restaurants, bars, clubs, hotels, grocery stores, casinos and other establishments with respect to tax issues, land use, zoning, commercial real estate transactions, noise ordinances, local enforcement, liquor licensing, federal and state compliance, alcohol permitting, mergers and acquisitions, intellectual property, and casualty litigation. We also assist clients in business and entity formation.
We frequently assist clients in finding practical and efficient solutions for commercial and contract disputes, lease disputes, labor and employment issues, shareholder disputes, and litigation. We regularly appear on behalf of our clients in litigation and administrative proceedings involving local and state boards and commissions and federal, state and local tax matters.
- Successful representation of a national gaming company in a complicated franchise tax matter with broad implications for the industry
- Representation of New Orleans area restaurants, bars and clubs in tax matters, land use, noise ordinance, licensing, compliance and general business transactions and contracts
- Representation of a national liquor distributor in obtaining licenses and permits as part of significant acquisition of a New Orleans-based wine distributor
- Representation of bars, clubs and restaurants before various boards, commissions, and administrative bodies
- Representation of national gaming companies with respect to local operations of casino properties in licensing, compliance, casualty litigation, ordinance interpretation, and labor/employment issues.
- Representation of a national beer, wine and spirits distributor in obtaining licenses and permits as part of a joint venture with another national distributor
- Representation of clients in landlord or tenant lease negotiations
- Leasing and buy-back matters for a national chain of high-end steakhouses
- Negotiation of naming rights for a major New Orleans sports venue
- Litigation and dispute resolution matters related to complex business and real estate transactions
- Representation of a global chain of pizza restaurants in liquor licensing matters in Louisiana
- Representation of national grocery store and hotel chains in liquor licensing matters
- Representation of a private Louisiana rum distillery in connection with a multi-year agreement for a global liquor company to become the exclusive national distributor
- Local counsel to a national gaming company with regard to complex insurance loss claims and litigation involving hurricanes Katrina and Rita.
- Representation of a Lake Charles casino in EEOC matters and employment advice.
- Representation of an area gaming company with respect to all facets of state and federal employment law and with respect to the company's employee manual.
- Representation of a major gaming company in numerous personal injury cases arising from alleged incidents at its casinos, including "slip and falls" as well as gaming disputes and other issues.
- Representation of a national gaming corporation against the Louisiana Horsemen’s Benevolent and Protective Association in litigation regarding fees and purses.
- Representation of a casino in a one-week federal jury trial brought by a patron who claimed she was injured by a casino employee.
- Representation of a casino in a claim of wrongful inducement to gamble by a compulsive gaming addict.
- Successfully defeated claims of RICO and antitrust violations by a casino attempting to prevent a competitor from obtaining a gaming license. The claims were argued before and affirmed by the Third Circuit Court of Appeals and the U.S. Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Representation of child care facilities within several casinos on claims of negligent child injury.
- Representation of a major gaming industry client in connection with real estate matters related to potential sites for a new facility. We also represented the company in a variety of ownership, zoning and public records research regarding potential sites.
- Representation of a leading gaming company in connection with bankruptcy workout matters and with regard to various lease, real estate and contract matters.
- Representation of a major gaming client in connection with a major sales tax case related to the taxation of wide area progressive slot machines supplied, maintained, and monitored off-site by a vendor.
- Representation of a national gaming company in connection with a Louisiana income tax case for an affiliate that owns rights to trade names and logos.